U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 PM

1,911 posts, read 4,234,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I don't think that The Mommies (you forgot the capital "T") can change it. The problem is systemic within Denver Public Schools. Bad schools cannot be transformed. The best hope is to convince DPS to open magnet schools that The Mommies can send their children to -- like the gentrification/Stapleton crowd managed to do in NE Denver (DSA, DSST). Problem is, I don't know what other type of magnet school DPS could open. Maybe a D'Evelyn-type of school, but that would be more than a decade away.
I wouldn't be so doubtful. I don't expect a change in the whole district, but I'd present Nettelhorst Elementary in Chicago (neighborhood school) as a good example of very involved neighborhood parents turning a school around: Nettelhorst Elementary School

Probably other examples, but I'm most familiar with this one.

But, this is fairly off topic. I'd live in Berkeley without reservation; north of 70 around Regis is more removed from the action and I probably wouldn't bother renting there (buying--possibly).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 PM

26 posts, read 96,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post

But, this is fairly off topic. I'd live in Berkeley without reservation; north of 70 around Regis is more removed from the action and I probably wouldn't bother renting there (buying--possibly).
You wouldn't rent in Regis strictly because of the distance to the action... or are there additional reasons?
(Also, seems like you would still potentially live there if you owned so I'm trying to determine why you wouldn't live there).

One last question: would it matter in terms of distance if you were just south of 70 in Berkeley vs being just north of 70 in Regis?

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 AM

5,090 posts, read 14,168,375 times
I go through that area often through Tennyson. I think the area, east of the Willis Case Golf Course has the nicest and most luxurious homes in the area. Also, areas just south of the I-70, east of Berkeley Lake are very nice. What you get in this area vs. going south is I think a much quieter area. It has less traffic and congestion. The farther south you go on Tennyson you go more into the business area with all the associated traffic and parked cars and some need to find parking in the side residential streets.

You are making too much of the issue of distance as the area is not that big. Living north near the Berkeley Lake and the Golf Course gives you a short walk to a nice park, the library and the elementary school. Also Regis College is closer. Living South near the business area gives a shorter walk to the stores and shops.

I also think the homes border the south end of Berkeley Park, off 46th, are a good value and a nice area in and around Holy Family Church. It has a much different feel than living east or west of the business area off Tennyson--it is again quieter.

I do appreciate the gentrification of the area but the traffic and parking issues are much greater today in Berkeley Core than many years ago. It is dense area and that is good because density is what makes a great walkable place to live.

Public Transit is best if you can walk to the 51 Sheridan bus, or 38th or 44th. There is a bus 52 that runs through through Regis and North Berkeley. Yet, there will be changes and perhaps a call-n-ride to the new rail at 60th and Sheridan.

The choice is if you want quieter living, then choose Regis or the north area of Berkeley. If you want a more urban dense feeling than move a little south in Berkeley and West Highland.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-18-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM

1,911 posts, read 4,234,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
You wouldn't rent in Regis strictly because of the distance to the action... or are there additional reasons?
(Also, seems like you would still potentially live there if you owned so I'm trying to determine why you wouldn't live there).

One last question: would it matter in terms of distance if you were just south of 70 in Berkeley vs being just north of 70 in Regis?

Thanks for your input.
Pretty much strictly because of distance to the action. It has great highway access and is otherwise what I consider safe.

My renting logical might be flawed, but it works for me. I'm a little pickier on rentals because I'm willing to accept something smaller that will just work for a limited period of time...therefore I can typically afford to live in a more desirable location. When it comes to buying, I'm more long term because the transaction costs are higher. I want a single family house with enough space to eventually have a family. In Denver, I definitely can't afford a SFH in the more desirable areas. I haven't looked....but I'm willing to guess its cheaper north of 70 vs south.

I wouldn't want to be just north or just south of any highway--too loud.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 28 days ago)

15,651 posts, read 23,546,578 times
Default go over the crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I'm willing to guess its cheaper north of 70 vs south.
I wouldn't want to be just north or just south of any highway--too loud.
Go north of 50th.
You are over the crest of the hill and it is much quieter.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:15 PM

13,707 posts, read 26,420,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Go north of 50th.
You are over the crest of the hill and it is much quieter.
Have you seen what is (or isn't) available, and for what price in the Adams County "hamlet" of Berkley?

Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 PM

5,090 posts, read 14,168,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Have you seen what is (or isn't) available, and for what price in the Adams County "hamlet" of Berkley?
I have seen much of the infilled development in this area, zip code 80221 when I was touring the area for transit issues. I did not realize that the prices were going this high in this part of Adams County. It is surprising as it is not consider the best area.

However, let us not be fooled as this area has much undeveloped land is close to the Denver Downtown core. In fact, it is the only large expanse of undeveloped lands left close to Downtown. Consequently this unincorporated area is being seen as potential for growth for Westminster and Arvada. Denver cannot growth more because of statutory restrictions. It has extensive open space parks and trails and potentials for more. With the coming rail stations, the area is going to change and becoming more appealing.

This area is consider one of the prime areas of redevelopment in Adams County and the county as marked it specifically in the Clear Creek Valley Plan.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rjt

Now with the soon to completed rail stations at Sheridan, Federal and Pecos, you are seeing more development.

I want to add in this link to the Clear Creek Valley Park under Hylands Hills Recreational District that will be developed soon on Tennyson, just North of Denver. There are now meetings being held. This large regional park will certainly add value to homes in this area. It is being built on old gravel pits and will have good water resources. For those who do not know, Water World is part of the Hylands Hills Rec. District.
http://www.hylandhills.org/

It is adjacent to Lowell Ponds State Wildlife area, Clear Creek and the trails alongside and Baker Reservoir to the North.

Be patient as it takes some time for these links to load.

I live in the Hylands Hills Recreational District. What is very appealing is there is a long standing cooperative agreement with the City of Westminster Recreation that each can use each other facilities at members rate--so essentially it is one big district of tremendous recreational opportunities.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-18-2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have seen much of the infilled development in this area, zip code 80221 when I was touring the area for transit issues. I did not realize that the prices were going this high in this part of Adams County. It is surprising as it is not consider the best area.

However, let us not be fooled as this area has much undeveloped land is close to the Denver Downtown core. In fact, it is the only large expanse of undeveloped lands left close to Downtown. Consequently this unincorporated area is being seen as potential for growth for Westminster and Arvada. Denver cannot growth more because of statutory restrictions. It has extensive open space parks and trails and potentials for more. With the coming rail stations, the area is going to change and becoming more appealing.

This area is consider one of the prime areas of redevelopment in Adams County and the county as marked it specifically in the Clear Creek Valley Plan.

Now with the soon to completed rail stations at Sheridan, Federal and Pecos, you are seeing more development.
OMG!

I don't see anything at Sheridan in those pics, but I told my wife to not be surprised if the I-76/Sheridan Berkeley Village/trailer park area transformed into a yuppie paradise within 10-15 years because of the rail.

We're gonna be rich!

Old 04-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 28 days ago)

15,651 posts, read 23,546,578 times
Default Have you been to

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't see anything at Sheridan in those pics, but I told my wife to not be surprised if the I-76/Sheridan Berkeley Village/trailer park area transformed into a yuppie paradise within 10-15 years because of the rail.
Look at New Modern Homes for Sale | Midtown - Denver, CO on Pecos at 78th.
The ASP for the Brookfield houses is $460K.
Half the buyers are "retired people moving from up north to be closer to the city".

Look at 5335 Raleigh St, Denver, CO 80212 | MLS# 6344953 | Redfin
which is NOT in Denver, but is in unincorporated Adams County.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Look at New Modern Homes for Sale | Midtown - Denver, CO on Pecos at 78th.
The ASP for the Brookfield houses is $460K.
Half the buyers are "retired people moving from up north to be closer to the city".

Look at 5335 Raleigh St, Denver, CO 80212 | MLS# 6344953 | Redfin
which is NOT in Denver, but is in unincorporated Adams County.
My goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver