Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,992 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single lady in my 50's who has twins going off to college (hopefully) this upcoming fall. We live in a suburb outside of Los Angeles and I am seriously considering moving by myself to possibly Arvada. I have lived here for 20 something years but was raised in CO until the age of 6 and though I don't ski or snow board - love animals, nature and hiking. It will be a huge transition with my children leaving (they will be in school out here in CA) but I so want to find a home. My rent out here is so high it is unbelievable, it is so dry and I have a job that I can do anywhere - though I doubt the pay in CO will be equal to what I get out here. My best friend has moved out of CA, and I do have one relative in Denver I am very close with. It's going to be very hard for me to have the kids off to school - but was thinking of just doing it all at once and finding somewhere to call home that they can come stay with me or live at some point. Is this crazy? Was thinking of Arvada cause of the closeness to both Denver and Boulder and the light rail. Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 09:30 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
As others have mentioned in other threads, the housing market is out of control here just like it is in parts of California. But, in terms of Arvada itself, I think it’s a good choice. I like the Old Town part of Arvada quite a bit although I haven’t been there lately due to the pandemic. Most of Arvada is very suburban in nature, and maybe bland compared to where you live now.

I lived in LA for a couple years before moving to Metro Denver and it is different here for sure. Not as crowded (even though it’s getting more crowded here) but it does lack the hustle and bustle. Like for example, I can’t think of anywhere in Denver that is like downtown Manhattan Beach on a Saturday morning, with lots of people out and about. But, overall, my quality of life in Colorado is a lot higher than it would have been in California.

I guess we can’t help you much beyond that; you’ve gotta make the decision for yourself with regard to how you feel about your kids going to school, and being farther away from them.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:31 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Purchase or rent?
Budget?
Where do you think your work location would be?
What type of job?

Old 02-13-2021, 10:20 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla Barnett View Post
Hi, I am a single lady in my 50's who has twins going off to college (hopefully) this upcoming fall. We live in a suburb outside of Los Angeles and I am seriously considering moving by myself to possibly Arvada. I have lived here for 20 something years but was raised in CO until the age of 6 and though I don't ski or snow board - love animals, nature and hiking. It will be a huge transition with my children leaving (they will be in school out here in CA) but I so want to find a home. My rent out here is so high it is unbelievable, it is so dry and I have a job that I can do anywhere - though I doubt the pay in CO will be equal to what I get out here. My best friend has moved out of CA, and I do have one relative in Denver I am very close with. It's going to be very hard for me to have the kids off to school - but was thinking of just doing it all at once and finding somewhere to call home that they can come stay with me or live at some point. Is this crazy? Was thinking of Arvada cause of the closeness to both Denver and Boulder and the light rail. Thanks so much for your help!
Welcome to City-Data. Give us some details as Dave mentioned and we'll hook you up with excellent ideas. IMO you should go for it, full bore.

Is your job one you can do from home? Regardless, being on/near a light rail stop is a big plus. IIRC Arvada has a small "old town" area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-13-2021 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-13-2021, 11:04 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Will your kids still be eligible for in-state tuition if you leave and they stay with you during the summer?

Also--Denver is dry, too.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:24 PM

31 posts, read 45,150 times
I can’t speak with in Arvada, I’ve always lived in south Denver or Aurora, but I hear nothing but good about the city. In fact, I’m born and raised here in Denver and can only count the amount of times going to Arvada on my 2 hands. Real estate prices are rapidly increasing in the metro, and Arvada is one of the hottest areas in the metro, so there must be a reason why....

Old 02-15-2021, 09:08 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Arvada is an older suburb consisting of mostly urban sprawl with
pockets of new development and an old town center. It’s not bad, not great. Depends what you want and what you want to pay.
The metro area has better...and worse, areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver