Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
From a snow perspective, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Denver are about the same. Both cities get about 54" of snow on average, but that's where the similarities end. I'd say winter weather here is very rarely as extreme as Minnesota. Can it happen once, maybe twice a year? Sure. We get the occasional blizzard and below-zero temps, but our average high temps are considerably warmer. For example, the average high temp on Jan 15 is 23 in M/SP, and 44 in Denver.

I lived from birth-10 years old in a small Wisconsin town about 100 miles SE of M/SP. I remember snow staying on the ground from October/November until February/March. That simply does not happen here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
I lived in MN a long time before moving to CO and while both have winter, the winters are completely different. Blue sums it up well, there really is no comparison. One thing to note is that yes, it gets cold in CO, but MN has what seems like 2-3 months with no sun. We don't experience that in CO, so it makes the cold seem a bit more tolerable. CO has very low humidity and that contributes to a very low mosquito population relative to MN, making summers quite pleasant relative to MN. Low humidity is very nice (buy lots of lip balm though.) We do have a lake shortage in CO though, so MN is certainly the place to be for water sports.
Agree, agree! I have family/friends who live/lived in MN, and they would all concur with the above. Heck, the winter in Champaign, IL, where we came here from, is harsher than here.

I think the OPs could get by w/o a garage. We've done it here. Heck, we did it for years in Champaign!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
From a snow perspective, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Denver are about the same. Both cities get about 54" of snow on average, but that's where the similarities end. I'd say winter weather here is very rarely as extreme as Minnesota. Can it happen once, maybe twice a year? Sure. We get the occasional blizzard and below-zero temps, but our average high temps are considerably warmer. For example, the average high temp on Jan 15 is 23 in M/SP, and 44 in Denver.
Well thats once or twice a year, that your car may not start. The fact that temperature might climb to 44 degrees in the afternoon is not going to help your car start at 7AM when the temperature is still -15 degrees. Unless of course you don't have to go to work until 2PM. But not everybody is that lucky.

Quote:
I lived from birth-10 years old in a small Wisconsin town about 100 miles SE of M/SP. I remember snow staying on the ground from October/November until February/March. That simply does not happen here.
I grew up in North Dakota. Snow was on the ground from the end of September until April, temperatures down to -40s.

On December 5, last year the temperature in Denver was -13 with a wind chill of -31. From January 31 to February 6 the temperature in Denver never got above freezing for one entire week. Not even in the daytime. Thats pretty close to Minnesota weather.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Well thats once or twice a year, that your car may not start. The fact that temperature might climb to 44 degrees in the afternoon is not going to help your car start at 7AM when the temperature is still -15 degrees. Unless of course you don't have to go to work until 2PM. But not everybody is that lucky.

I grew up in North Dakota. Snow was on the ground from the end of September until April, temperatures down to -40s.

On December 5, last year the temperature in Denver was -13 with a wind chill of -31. From January 31 to February 6 the temperature in Denver never got above freezing for one entire week. Not even in the daytime. Thats pretty close to Minnesota weather.
In January 2014, Minneapolis had 17 days where the temp went below zero, including 4 where the high was zero or below. The lowest high was -13 on the 6th. The lowest temp was -22, also on the 6th. It had 5 days above freezing, with the highest temp of the month being 37 degrees on the 19th.
Weather History for Minneapolis Crystal, MN | Weather Underground

Denver had two days in January below zero, 26 days above freezing including 3 above 60, and 7 above 50. Highest temp of the month was 62 degrees on the 19th. The lowest high was 14 on the 5th. The lowest temp was -4 on the 5th and 6th.
Weather History for Denver Centennial, CO | Weather Underground

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-04-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:49 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
If your car won't start because the temperature occasionally dips to -15ºF, then you need a new battery. The only time I have every had trouble starting a car in the cold was back in the 1980s when I was driving a car with a carburetor. Every now and then the valve would freeze up. A couple of times my battery died, but that was because the battery was 6-7 years old.

Quote:
So you know that Denver's winter is much more mild. Stop making it sound worse than it is.

Quote:
And on Dec. 18 the temperature in Denver was 64ºF, a full 7º warmer than the San Francisco high of 57ºF. I can cherry pick statistics too, but it doesn't give the full picture.

Besides, according to this site, the max low in Denver was -9.4ºF -- not -13º. Still very cold, but the cold front moved east and by Dec. 7 it was -11ºF in MSP.

As for Denver's week of cold temperatures, it was much better than MSP's 19 straight days of sub-freezing weather from January 30 - February 17.

In fact, Denver's February weather had 9 days when the high was 32ºF or below, and 17 days when the high exceeded 32ºF -- including 11 days when the high was above 50ºF.

MSP experienced 25 days when the high was 32ºF or below, and only 3 days when the high exceeded 32ºF.

When talking about weather and climate, we use averages, not extremes. In December 2013, the average MSP high temp was 20ºF and the average MSP low temp was 5ºF. In Denver, the high and low averages for the month were 41ºF and 17ºF, respectively.

Stop projecting your dislike for winter onto everyone else. We get it, you think Denver is too cold. That's why you live in California.

I don't mind criticism of Denver (or anything else, for that matter), but to cherry pick statistics to fit your personal anti-winter crusade does not help.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:16 PM

254 posts, read 513,127 times
Good info DavidV.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
If your car won't start because the temperature occasionally dips to -15ºF, then you need a new battery. The only time I have every had trouble starting a car in the cold was back in the 1980s when I was driving a car with a carburetor. Every now and then the valve would freeze up. A couple of times my battery died, but that was because the battery was 6-7 years old.

So you know that Denver's winter is much more mild. Stop making it sound worse than it is.

And on Dec. 18 the temperature in Denver was 64ºF, a full 7º warmer than the San Francisco high of 57ºF. I can cherry pick statistics too, but it doesn't give the full picture.

Besides, according to this site, the max low in Denver was -9.4ºF -- not -13º. Still very cold, but the cold front moved east and by Dec. 7 it was -11ºF in MSP.

As for Denver's week of cold temperatures, it was much better than MSP's 19 straight days of sub-freezing weather from January 30 - February 17.

In fact, Denver's February weather had 9 days when the high was 32ºF or below, and 17 days when the high exceeded 32ºF -- including 11 days when the high was above 50ºF.

MSP experienced 25 days when the high was 32ºF or below, and only 3 days when the high exceeded 32ºF.

When talking about weather and climate, we use averages, not extremes. In December 2013, the average MSP high temp was 20ºF and the average MSP low temp was 5ºF. In Denver, the high and low averages for the month were 41ºF and 17ºF, respectively.

Stop projecting your dislike for winter onto everyone else. We get it, you think Denver is too cold. That's why you live in California.

I don't mind criticism of Denver (or anything else, for that matter), but to cherry pick statistics to fit your personal anti-winter crusade does not help.
I wasn't cherry picking. I was just pointing out that it can get cold in Denver. Almost as cool sometimes as the upper-midwest.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I wasn't cherry picking. I was just pointing out that it can get cold in Denver. Almost as cool sometimes as the upper-midwest.
But for much shorter periods of time!

Now I will say, some Californians find even our mild winters (by midwestern/northeastern standards) too cold, but that is a different issue, as these OPs are moving here from MN.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,589 times
My bf moved out to Colorado at the end of March and I'm joining him at the end of May. We scoured craigslist, padmapper, hotpads, etc to find a place comparable to what we had in Roseville, MN (2bd and 3 garage stalls). He ended up in Aurora in a 1br with an attached 1 car garage. Way more expensive than in Mpls/StPaul.

The place he found was Sonoma Resort at Saddle Rock. So far he hasn't had any problems. According to reviews, they like to screw people upon move out for "cleaning and carpet replacement". I had him take a TON of pictures, note anything broken and he took the pictures into the office. They fixed a couple things and noted others.

I will see the place next weekend for the first time, since I'm visiting. It looks nice from the pictures though.

Good Luck!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreosmom View Post
He ended up in Aurora in a 1br with an attached 1 car garage. Way more expensive than in Mpls/StPaul.

The place he found was Sonoma Resort at Saddle Rock. So far he hasn't had any problems.
That's not a particularly cheap area either, I would consider it above average. New builds/families in that area mostly.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM

68 posts, read 182,662 times
Completely AGREE!!!
Some people LOVE making Denver sound like a VER COLD city. I myself hate cold/harsh winters, but I still want to move there and try it out for at least a year or two or for longer, who knows.

I like to read responses like yours, it encourage me even more!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: