Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 04:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times

Advertisements

I remember reading an article a few years ago about all the 20 somethings moving to Portland and the article said " please stop moving here we have no jobs for you " , I can't see that happening in Denver to me at least it has always been growing and welcoming businesses , change , development , always been a positive place , a good investment .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 PM

760 posts, read 882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
I remember reading an article a few years ago about all the 20 somethings moving to Portland and the article said " please stop moving here we have no jobs for you " , I can't see that happening in Denver to me at least it has always been growing and welcoming businesses , change , development , always been a positive place , a good investment .
Totally, I can't ever imagine a situation where Denver would have less than 1% of in migration for a year. It will always grow...but instead of growing by 100,000 a year, it might by more like 50-75,000...which honestly would be a good thing so the state can catch up on infrastructure.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 PM

204 posts, read 201,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
From what I've heard from my friends so far, Denver is one of those places that is the most amazing and fun place for your first two years, but unless you are a hardcore outdoor enthusiasts, you get over it, and no longer value the location in exchange for the COL.
I've been pondering this very thought personally. I've been here 10 months and love it, but wonder if I'll tire of the COL or the city itself after I've explored and played in the mountains for a few years. I had planned to buy a house, but I'm pulling back from that since I'm just not sure what I'll do in the near future.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I've been pondering this very thought personally. I've been here 10 months and love it, but wonder if I'll tire of the COL or the city itself after I've explored and played in the mountains for a few years. I had planned to buy a house, but I'm pulling back from that since I'm just not sure what I'll do in the near future.
I'm not bored with the mountains after 40 years playing in them.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:00 PM

760 posts, read 882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
To be honest, I think its more of a trend thing.

There are the hardcore outdoor enthusiasts, the ones who wake up at 2am for a summit, or will drive 5 hours for the good camping spot...and then there are the casual outdoor people. The ones who never really hiked before in their life, go to REI, drop a few hundred on some Patagonia clothing and a camel back, do some day hikes, but ultimately never really get into it. Those are the ones who came here because everyone else was doing it, but after a while, realize it's no longer what they thought it would be. Sure seeing RMNP for the first time while you smoke your first legal weed, after living your entire life in some boring midwest suburb seems amazing, it's enough to get you to move here, but then it wears off. Those are the people that I see leaving after a few years. Sure they like to hike, but they aren't obsessed enough to put up with all the hassles that come along with it.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,634,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
We should see another 8-10% appreciation next year. I think the only way to slow the Sellers market down is a catastrophe or rapidity rising interest rates.

0 to 3 months of inventory is a Seller's market. 4-6 is balanced and anything over 6 is a Buyers market.
I'm not quite so sure. I've been looking on and off (probably to buy in the next 2 years) and I've seen a number of houses listed have prices cut $10k-15k++ from their initial listings. A complete seller's market would never have price cuts unless the unit was out of this world overpriced (which they weren't).

With newer, more desirable houses coming on the market in new neighborhoods, inventory will go up and prices should continue to level out or maybe go up slightly. Certain areas might see 10% appreciation in the next year (Wash Park, LoDo, Boulder, etc) but as a metro, I don't think that will be the case.

We're already seeing rental prices go down -- and my complex is even offering referral bonuses to fill vacant units. My buddy's rent went down $75/month when he resigned last month.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:21 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I'm not quite so sure. I've been looking on and off (probably to buy in the next 2 years) and I've seen a number of houses listed have prices cut $10k-15k++ from their initial listings. A complete seller's market would never have price cuts unless the unit was out of this world overpriced (which they weren't).

With newer, more desirable houses coming on the market in new neighborhoods, inventory will go up and prices should continue to level out or maybe go up slightly. Certain areas might see 10% appreciation in the next year (Wash Park, LoDo, Boulder, etc) but as a metro, I don't think that will be the case.

We're already seeing rental prices go down -- and my complex is even offering referral bonuses to fill vacant units. My buddy's rent went down $75/month when he resigned last month.
That's what I'm seeing as well. Plus didn't Ft. Collins just have a little period of home price declines? On top of this, there'll now be 5 more states with legal pot, taking that edge away, and oil drilling isn't likely to come back in the near future. And we're going to have at least one, maybe two rate increases.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
To be honest, I think its more of a trend thing.

There are the hardcore outdoor enthusiasts, the ones who wake up at 2am for a summit, or will drive 5 hours for the good camping spot...and then there are the casual outdoor people. The ones who never really hiked before in their life, go to REI, drop a few hundred on some Patagonia clothing and a camel back, do some day hikes, but ultimately never really get into it. Those are the ones who came here because everyone else was doing it, but after a while, realize it's no longer what they thought it would be. Sure seeing RMNP for the first time while you smoke your first legal weed, after living your entire life in some boring midwest suburb seems amazing, it's enough to get you to move here, but then it wears off. Those are the people that I see leaving after a few years. Sure they like to hike, but they aren't obsessed enough to put up with all the hassles that come along with it.

Anything worth doing takes effort. These people won't be happy anywhere.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:44 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I've been here for about eight years. The novelty of the mountains ended after about five years in for me. I hardly visit the mountains anymore. The factors that played into that:

Bad traffic, no camp fires most of the summer because of how dry it is, all the places you'd want to visit are usually full of tourists anyway.

There are LOTS of other states that offer just as much, or more, in terms of outdoor amenities. The only major advantage that Colorado has in comparison to many of these other states is skiing and extreme mountain biking. That's it. You can do all the other things you'd do here in a vast majority of other states in the US. Camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, single trail riding, rafting, canoeing, etc. These things are not unique to Colorado.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,756 times
Quote:
Quote:
Anything worth doing takes effort. These people won't be happy anywhere.
Because you haven't lived anywhere else. And visiting a place for a few days at a time for business is not the same thing as living somewhere. It's about having perspective. These people might be very happy in places that aren't as congested and expensive. You don't get to decide who is going to be happy elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver