Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 05:07 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I think Denver weather is good because of the winter/spring sunshine, but it has downsides (sun too intense summer, too hot, air too dry) Very hot in the summers and can last from May until Sept. I would just want to hide from that intense sun most summer days. There are a lot of places with much nicer summers IMO. The dryness making your skin feel so dry is an issue too. I actually like a little humidity and moisture in the air. You can get very nice summers though by making the 1.5hr drive to the Rockies.

Denver is a great place for sure no question. There was a time when it was a good deal. But I do think it is slightly overrated for what it now costs to live there now + the traffic. Denver proper is really not that pretty IMO...it's just "OK", very arid and lacks trees/greenery/lushness, pretty flat, no decent bodies of water (natural lakes, big rivers and creeks, ocean), mountain views are nice but don't always see them.
For a good economy, lots of job opportunities along with everything a big city has to offer and throw in the weather.....Denver is touch to beat. I think Denver alone is pretty overrated but everything else makes it pretty nice.

Sure there are better outdoor rec areas to live, but COL and job opportunities make them difficult. Its all about what things you like that make you happy. If you're not into sports or the outdoors i think Denver would suck to live in. I think Duluth and areas of MI would be great to live in, buy a boat for the summer and winter 2 weeks in Mexico every year. That wouldn't be a bad way to live. Then again, job opportunities would be limited. Whitefish MT might be my most ideal place to live, but I can't work there and its not worth living there just to bus tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
I wonder how this merger between Century Link and Level 3 is going to play out. If it passes through anti-trust and Century Link consolidates enough positions, it's pretty likely that the CO presence of Level 3 will drop significantly, putting a pretty big dent into the Denver tech scene, which in turn will seep out into the housing market.

Conversely, the GE merger with Baker Hughes signals a bet in favor of increased oil prices. If oil prices do increase to the threshold needed for CO drilling to become profitable, could heat up the housing market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
you base this on what exactly?
Just a guess based on current price, threshold price needed for fracking, and middle east politics.

Last edited by Phil P; 11-02-2016 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 11:13 PM

170 posts, read 246,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I wonder how this merger between Century Link and Level 3 is going to play out. If it passes through anti-trust and Century Link consolidates enough positions, it's pretty likely that the CO presence of Level 3 will drop significantly, putting a pretty big dent into the Denver tech scene, which in turn will seep out into the housing market.

Conversely, the GE merger with Baker Hughes signals a bet in favor of increased oil prices. If oil prices do increase to the threshold needed for CO drilling to become profitable, could heat up the housing market.

Just a guess based on current price, threshold price needed for fracking, and middle east politics.
In terms of the consolidation of Century Link and Level 3 I think it is going to only have a temporary effect on the housing market especially in the north part of town as most of those jobs will be absorbed by startups or other tech companies in the area as the tech scene in Denver / Boulder is pretty robust.

Also, I am not sure if the merger of GE and Baker Hughes will necessarily favor an increase in oil prices as there are a lot of other factors that determine if oil prices move higher. Also, if oil prices do move higher I believe it will have a negligible effect on the job market in the Denver area as most oil companies have be come leaner by being more productive with fewer employees especially in administrative and management roles. Where I think it will have the most effect would be in Northern Colorado and Western Colorado where they will need to hire more oil workers.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:28 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesare View Post
In terms of the consolidation of Century Link and Level 3 I think it is going to only have a temporary effect on the housing market especially in the north part of town as most of those jobs will be absorbed by startups or other tech companies in the area as the tech scene in Denver / Boulder is pretty robust.

Also, I am not sure if the merger of GE and Baker Hughes will necessarily favor an increase in oil prices as there are a lot of other factors that determine if oil prices move higher. Also, if oil prices do move higher I believe it will have a negligible effect on the job market in the Denver area as most oil companies have be come leaner by being more productive with fewer employees especially in administrative and management roles. Where I think it will have the most effect would be in Northern Colorado and Western Colorado where they will need to hire more oil workers.
CenturyLink is based in Monroe, Louisiana. When they merged with Qwest, my former employer, they moved a lot of positions down there as well.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:

I don't think this will put any sort of dent at all in the tech scene. Yes, some people might leave the area, but plenty of them will stay and seek out employment here in the Denver area. Also, you might see a blip on the real estate radar in Broomfield, but that would be it and it would be short lived.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 AM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesare View Post
...I believe it will have a negligible effect on the job market in the Denver area as most oil companies have be come leaner by being more productive with fewer employees especially in administrative and management roles. Where I think it will have the most effect would be in Northern Colorado and Western Colorado where they will need to hire more oil workers.
I heard that there was some significant M&A activity currently...

I figure folks with liquidity are buying up rights, and production will
increase as the conditions meet the holders' targets...

Old 11-03-2016, 09:04 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:

In the long run they're probably doing Level 3 employees a favor. None of the people I know who've worked there in the past have anything positive to say about the company.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:40 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In the long run they're probably doing Level 3 employees a favor. None of the people I know who've worked there in the past have anything positive to say about the company.
Former employee here. I thought they were a decent employer (par for the course in the industry, good benefits), but telecom is a good old boys network. It's a very incestuous industry. Many who are in middle management jump around from company to company and hire and promote their favorite people from former employers. Career-pathing is almost non-existent. Technology is often dated considering they are in the technology world.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:12 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Default October 2016 Median Prices

Arvada $ 365,000
Aurora $ 315,000
Broomfield $ 382,000
Castle Rock/Pines $ 440,000
Centennial $ 405,000
Denver $ 400,000
Englewood $ 332,000
Greenwood Village $1,062,500
Highlands Ranch (a subdivision) $ 440,000
Lakewood $ 367,950
Littleton $ 400,000
Lone Tree $ 815,500
Parker $ 429,000

eye opening?

Old 11-04-2016, 11:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Arvada $ 365,000
Aurora $ 315,000
Broomfield $ 382,000
Castle Rock/Pines $ 440,000
Centennial $ 405,000
Denver $ 400,000
Englewood $ 332,000
Greenwood Village $1,062,500
Highlands Ranch (a subdivision) $ 440,000
Lakewood $ 367,950
Littleton $ 400,000
Lone Tree $ 815,500
Parker $ 429,000

eye opening?
Yeah. Why do people want to live in Lone Tree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver