Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 12:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
First off, calm down before you go on a generalization tirade about what certain people do and don't do. I've done plenty of complaining/voicing my concerns to the HOA in the short time I've lived here. So you tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Firstly, I've reached out to the community management company via phone and email to voice my concerns several times, as that is our first line of contact when we have a maintenance issue. I told them about the tree replacement, the garbage area door falling off, and the potholes on our roads. They sent me a request to the board for the tree replacement, since it pertained to a common area. I sent that in, and received a response that it was approved that I put potted plants around my area, but that's it. Well, that's not what I asked for.

Secondly, they acknowledged the garbage area door, and told me it was being worked on. That was more than two months ago.

Thirdly, they've said and done nothing about the pothole issue. It got so bad in one area, that one of the residents filled it in with rocks.

Fourthly, sometimes the community management company straight up ignores my emails. They tend to respond better with phone calls. But even then, they tell me there's not much they can do and to address the HOA board with my complaints.

Fifthly, I've gone to a couple of HOA meetings since I've started having some of these issues. I expressed my concerns over the garbage area and the tree replacement. The board told me that the garbage area door was being worked on. That was over two months ago. They pushed back again on the tree replacement that they cut down, saying that A) it was a common area, and B) that trees are expensive. I plan on going to the next meeting in a couple weeks to keep pushing on these issues.

This is my FIRST property under an HOA covenant. It is a learning experience for me. Just as I'm sure that you've gone through life making your fair share of mistakes and learning about new things that you weren't previously exposed to, I am doing my best to do the same. So don't go on pretending like this is something that everyone knows about when you probably have 20+ years of life on me. We all have to go through a learning curve on these things. You're no better than anyone else regarding that. So instead of acting all smug and omnipotent, you should learn to politely and civilly explain concepts that are new or foreign to people who have limited experience with them. Trust me, it'll make you a better, more respectable human being.
Have you considered sitting on the board? Most HOAs have trouble getting people to participate in a meaningful way - not simply complaining. Next time there is a vacancy consider it. Then you can be in a position to enact change - or at least see more of what the issues are that seem to be impeding solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Have you considered sitting on the board? Most HOAs have trouble getting people to participate in a meaningful way - not simply complaining. Next time there is a vacancy consider it. Then you can be in a position to enact change - or at least see more of what the issues are that seem to be impeding solutions.
Absolutely. I've talked to my GF several times about this, and we agree that I need to get on the board in some capacity. I've seen some of our board members when I've gone to meetings, and no offense to them, but they don't seem like the brightest people that could be running it. Mostly it seems like they are older folks who've been living in the community for awhile, but not necessarily with any sort of aptitude for business/financials.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
First off, calm down before you go on a generalization tirade about what certain people do and don't do. I've done plenty of complaining/voicing my concerns to the HOA in the short time I've lived here. So you tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Firstly, I've reached out to the community management company via phone and email to voice my concerns several times, as that is our first line of contact when we have a maintenance issue. I told them about the tree replacement, the garbage area door falling off, and the potholes on our roads. They sent me a request to the board for the tree replacement, since it pertained to a common area. I sent that in, and received a response that it was approved that I put potted plants around my area, but that's it. Well, that's not what I asked for.

Secondly, they acknowledged the garbage area door, and told me it was being worked on. That was more than two months ago.

Thirdly, they've said and done nothing about the pothole issue. It got so bad in one area, that one of the residents filled it in with rocks.

Fourthly, sometimes the community management company straight up ignores my emails. They tend to respond better with phone calls. But even then, they tell me there's not much they can do and to address the HOA board with my complaints.

Fifthly, I've gone to a couple of HOA meetings since I've started having some of these issues. I expressed my concerns over the garbage area and the tree replacement. The board told me that the garbage area door was being worked on. That was over two months ago. They pushed back again on the tree replacement that they cut down, saying that A) it was a common area, and B) that trees are expensive. I plan on going to the next meeting in a couple weeks to keep pushing on these issues.

This is my FIRST property under an HOA covenant. It is a learning experience for me. Just as I'm sure that you've gone through life making your fair share of mistakes and learning about new things that you weren't previously exposed to, I am doing my best to do the same. So don't go on pretending like this is something that everyone knows about when you probably have 20+ years of life on me. We all have to go through a learning curve on these things. You're no better than anyone else regarding that. So instead of acting all smug and omniscient, you should learn to politely and civilly explain concepts that are new or foreign to people who have limited experience with them. Trust me, it'll make you a better, more respectable human being.
fwiw, I was actually reacting to the post above yours when I started to type as that person was the one who first said "they" referring to the HOA. And I was making a general statement because lots of people refer to an HOA as if they are a landlord - not specifically on this thread but certainly on C-D on the real estate forums. If I was responding directly to you, I would have quoted your post.

But gee, thanks for the insults of calling me smug and impolite after your mistaken assumption I was referring to you.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
fwiw, I was actually reacting to the post above yours when I started to type as that person was the one who first said "they" referring to the HOA. And I was making a general statement because lots of people refer to an HOA as if they are a landlord - not specifically on this thread but certainly on C-D on the real estate forums. If I was responding directly to you, I would have quoted your post.

But gee, thanks for the insults of calling me smug and impolite after your mistaken assumption I was referring to you.
I apologize. You didn't quote anyone, and I'm the only one "complaining" about my HOA, so I figured you were responding to me since you called out "people who complain about their HOA...". Is that not fair?

Again, sorry for making that assumption. At any rate, you also made an assumption about people who complain about their HOA, and I was responding to that.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:35 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
there is no "they" in an HOA, it's a "we." The unit owners own the complex, not some nebulous "they." If the HOA board and/or a hired management company aren't doing a good job, then the owners who are dissatisfied need to take action. I've lived in two separate HOA complexes where we kicked out boards who were not acting in the best interests of the owners overall. In one case, they were trying to force through unnecessary and extremely expensive upgrades, in the second case, they just were not providing enough oversight of the management company and things were not getting done in a timely and satisfactory manner. In both cases, it took a group of concerned owners to come together and make sure things were being done the way the majority of owners wanted. People who blame "the HOA" generally prefer to complain rather than do any work to change things.
The biggest issue most have with HOA's is the cost. Replacing a roof on a standard single family home averages $12,000, which lasts 20-30 years. Using 20 years as the minimum, that's $50/month. Assuming your townhouse isn't as large as a single family home, I'd assume your roof portion of the cost would probably be closer to $6-8,000, or $25-35/month. Add in other expenses (window replacements, siding, basic groundskeeping etc) it shouldn't be more than $100/month. In addition, special assessments are often given when these upgrades take place.

So when you see $200++ HOA fees, you really have to wonder where the hell that money is actually going.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:47 PM

204 posts, read 201,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
The biggest issue most have with HOA's is the cost. Replacing a roof on a standard single family home averages $12,000, which lasts 20-30 years. Using 20 years as the minimum, that's $50/month. Assuming your townhouse isn't as large as a single family home, I'd assume your roof portion of the cost would probably be closer to $6-8,000, or $25-35/month. Add in other expenses (window replacements, siding, basic groundskeeping etc) it shouldn't be more than $100/month. In addition, special assessments are often given when these upgrades take place.

So when you see $200++ HOA fees, you really have to wonder where the hell that money is actually going.
I wouldn't mind buying a townhouse so that I don't have to deal with exterior maintenance, lawn care, landscaping, etc, but you're right about those fees seemingly too high. I can't decide if I'd rather pay the fees or put that money into the house payment for a nicer house.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:13 PM
SQL

Quote:
And add to that when maintenance doesn't get done in a timely manner, despite your numerous requests and complaints, you are really annoyed by that $200+ per month fee.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:

Funny, I always thought that when I wondered where the hell my HOA fee was going, I should take a look at the budget that, by law, is distributed to and voted upon by each owner every year. And I also looked at the reserve study, which detailed the expected life and anticipated replacement cost for ALL of the items the association was responsible for maintaining, which goes well beyond the roof and the few other items you named. That should be made available to any unit owner who wants to see it, if it's not being automatically distributed to them.

And when I did have concerns, as I described above, I talked to neighbors to see if they had the same concerns, and when they did, we banded together to get rid of a board who was not acting in the best interest of all of the owners.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:43 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Default Rents up in 2016

BusinessDen Survey: Denver apartment rent shoots up 5 percent in 2016

"The median effective rent at one-bedroom units at 17 large apartment buildings polled by BusinessDen – from Cherry Creek and Golden Triangle up to Highlands, Union Station and RiNo – rose 4.7 percent in December 2016 compared to the same month in 2015, from $1,432 to $1,500. (Effective rent subtracts specials, such as a month of free rent, from the advertised rent and is the most accurate representation of how much renters pay each month.)"

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-05-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 AM

760 posts, read 882,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Effective rent subtracts specials, such as a month of free rent, from the advertised rent and is the most accurate representation of how much renters pay each month.)"
The funny thing is that every apartment complex does this. And I think it's actually a way to keep the median market price up, and to give management an upper hand when using the rent maximizing software.

If an apartment is going for $1,500, and has a free month rent (I've even seen 2-3 months free), it's really only about $1,375 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver