Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times

Advertisements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building))

This is interesting because I'd never heard this style of apartment called "Dingbats", but I remember them in California. They're the mid-century, kitschy/ugly box buildings where they have sort of carport parking in front, under the building (see link for pictures). They tend to have cheesy names like, "The Kona" or some "royal" reference.

This Wikipedia page says they're found mostly in AZ/CA/upt to WA, and some in parts of FL. But haven't I seen these here in Denver? I'm pretty sure there are some of these on Cap. Hill and over on Colorado Blvd. by the old hospital.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-05-2014 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed the link, it was missing a ) at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=denve...256.39,,0,8.78

OK, yes, we do have Dingbats in Denver lol! I was right about Colo. Blvd. These are fairly classic examples. I thought I remembered seeing some over on Cap. Hill that had the cheesy tropical names on them and the volvanic rock.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:45 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
OMG! I remember that dreadful style of places at Ocean City, MD, many are still there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,045,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Dingbat (building) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This is interesting because I'd never heard this style of apartment called "Dingbats", but I remember them in California. They're the mid-century, kitschy/ugly box buildings where they have sort of carport parking in front, under the building (see link for pictures). They tend to have cheesy names like, "The Kona" or some "royal" reference.

This Wikipedia page says they're found mostly in AZ/CA/upt to WA, and some in parts of FL. But haven't I seen these here in Denver? I'm pretty sure there are some of these on Cap. Hill and over on Colorado Blvd. by the old hospital.
Scariest building design I have ever seen in an earthquake zone.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,975,155 times
KaaBoom beat me to it.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Scariest building design I have ever seen in an earthquake zone.
Yes, I've read about that. I think that's where the most people died in the Northridge earthquake... in apartments like these. Deathtraps on stilts!

But I find it interesting that these types of apartments are only in certain cities in the U.S.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 PM

231 posts, read 382,665 times
I think that picture was from the Northridge quake. Man was that scary. Dingbats are all over Southern California, but not all of them collapsed. The ones that did during the quake were shown to have not been build to code. Either way I think they look tacky and wouldn't want to live in one. I think near us we have "Shangri La" "Oceanview Apartments" even though you can't see the ocean from there, we also have "Tropical Tower" and my favorite "The Kon Tiki"

Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
I think that picture was from the Northridge quake. Man was that scary. Dingbats are all over Southern California, but not all of them collapsed. The ones that did during the quake were shown to have not been build to code. Either way I think they look tacky and wouldn't want to live in one. I think near us we have "Shangri La" "Oceanview Apartments" even though you can't see the ocean from there, we also have "Tropical Tower" and my favorite "The Kon Tiki"
Some of the "mid century" apartments in Denver on Capital Hill have cheesey names like that too. Like the "Safari Club".

Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,634,731 times
Looks very familiar. See them in the beach communities in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver