Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Check out this post on the General US forum.
If the size of the blue circles are any indication, the situation isn't quite as lopsided as we're apparently making it out to be. Denver appears to be about average for a city in the Western U.S. Of course, this does confirm to some extent what we've been saying all along, that men outnumber women in Denver.

I've heard it said that warm-weather locations have more women -- this doesn't appear to be the case -- big cities in the northeast is apparently where the women are.

I was interested to see that out neighbor to the south, Colorado Springs, actually is slightly tilted towards women among singles, unique in Colorado. Perhaps some single men in Denver should try heading down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
If the size of the blue circles are any indication, the situation isn't quite as lopsided as we're apparently making it out to be. Denver appears to be about average for a city in the Western U.S. Of course, this does confirm to some extent what we've been saying all along, that men outnumber women in Denver.

I've heard it said that warm-weather locations have more women -- this doesn't appear to be the case -- big cities in the northeast is apparently where the women are.

I was interested to see that out neighbor to the south, Colorado Springs, actually is slightly tilted towards women among singles, unique in Colorado. Perhaps some single men in Denver should try heading down there.
much of the west has more men than women, much of the east more women than men, OVER ALL. if you look at particular age groups, or at never-marrieds, it becomes 115, 120, 130:100 in denver. and the circles represent numbers, not ratios.

hawaii has more men than women. alaska has more men than women. denver itself takes them both when looking at some age groups, for example.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Check out Albuquerque on that map-- they have more single women than men. I've been through ABQ a couple of times but don't know that much about it. Can anybody compare ABQ to DEN, in terms of the people/culture?

Old 01-02-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Check out Albuquerque on that map-- they have more single women than men. I've been through ABQ a couple of times but don't know that much about it. Can anybody compare ABQ to DEN, in terms of the people/culture?
lol

not that it's a bad or even unreasonable thing, but it's funny to think that the ratio would drive a move.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
lol

not that it's a bad or even unreasonable thing, but it's funny to think that the ratio would drive a move.
Different strokes for different folks I guess

Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
lol not that it's a bad or even unreasonable thing, but it's funny to think that the ratio would drive a move.
When I was a young man, guys would say "I'd walk a mile for a camel." Me, I go to Hollywood for Demi Moore or Bernadette Peters. But no, I've been to Albuquerque and I'm not going back there for ANYTHING.
http://bestsmileys.com/love2/2.gif (broken link)

Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Default Abq

Quote:
My parents live in NM now for retirement.

On the positive ABQ does have some great weather -- probably about the best you'll find anywhere. It's the "other" mile high city, and believe it or not there's actually a small ski resort on the opposite side of the sandias, which overlook the east side of town -- there's a tramway that takes you up from the city to the ski resort. There is a bit of 24-hour activity around UNM, and they have some cool college neighborhoods around there. They have a touristy "old town", though their actual "downtown" isn't anything to write home about. The NM-style food there is a real highlight, too. Housing prices and cost of living are cheaper than Denver, as well.

On the negative, Job opportunities are decent for NM (mostly government related), which isn't saying much, given that NM is kind of like the Mississippi of the west in terms of economic development. Average incomes are really low; mostly low-pay service jobs. NM's government is horribly inefficient, and it shows. Much of town is surprisingly sketchy for a relatively small city, and crime rates are noticably high. What's more, ABQ is undergoing a belated suburbanization, with many fleeing the city for the new northwestern suburbs like Rio Rancho (Think Highlands Ranch), though the old money is still mostly in the city's northeast side.

My parents often ask me to consider finding a job in NM. I have checked -- those who think Denver salaries are low should see New Mexico salaries, and competition for those low salaries among job seekers is intense.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 229,105 times
Well, like I was trying to say before, the census data may or may not be a bit misleading.

While 1%-2% difference in the overall m:f ratio doesn't seam like much at first glance, taking a closer look or just looking at things from a different perspective swings things wildly. For instance, CensusScope: Census 2000 Data, Charts, Maps, and Rankings shows Colorado ranked as the 47th state in %females next to Nevada and Alaska (does Alaska even count?), and Denver ranked 276 out of 318 (the lower 15th percentile) in %female for surveyed US metropolitan areas. In the 20-29 age group in Denver, there is 48.2% females, nearly 3% lower than the median overall %females by state. This is so low, in fact, that Denver - News - Of Mice and Menver was published, illustrating that Denver's unofficial nickname seams to be fast becoming "Menver." Looking at things this way through the eyes of a young single educated male trying to find a new place to live happily and hopefully find a female companion could very easily make you cross Denver off the list, because you certainly won't be willing to wait around for all the women in the world to figure out there's allot of men here or there and decide to move and equalize the ratio. Still, Denver may not have a high % of females, but at ~151,000 - in the 20-29 age group, it's got allot of them, so who knows!? maybe the Menver thing is completely off-base.

My hometown sports 50.3% females for the 20-29 age group in the metro and a whopping overall 51.25% female for the area, but trust me when I say Lancaster, PA is no mecca to be a single 20-something guy.

All this data about the number of women still doesn't help answer if these women are single and/or educated, and if the nightlife and singles scene really are that male-dominated. Moral of the story - aside from buying a plane ticket and a hotel, the only real way to find out is from people who actually live there and are single 20-somethings. These people will provide the best answer to the question, not speculative census-based statistics that fail to include key information.

I know a girl who lives in western range and she tells me it's like a 10:1 male:female ratio. Now that's not Denver, and it's probably a bit of an exaggeration, but still those odds are pretty bad.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_quest View Post
Still, Denver may not have a high % of females, but at ~151,000 - in the 20-29 age group, it's got allot of them, so who knows!?
how many men are there in the 20-29 age group? if there are 120,000 men in that age group, for example, that sounds good for you. if there are 185,000 men in that age group, maybe not as good for you.

i think there are other ways to at least get SOME feel for whether the number of elligible, compatible women might be around what you're looking for. many probably very unscientific ("of mice and menver" articles, looking on match.com at denver for your age group - typical preferences and interests of people in the area, e.g. - and comparing the situation for denver/match.com and somewhere you're more familiar with match.com for some calibration for how skewed or not skewed match might be for this purpose). but then, there must be some census info on relationship status, orientation, etc. for age groups. there is on "never-married" for example (see previous posts).

either way, best of luck. personally, i doubt that for many people denver would be wholesale aweful and hopeless: i know some people of various persuasions that have met people here. but i do suspect it can be more of a challenge - maybe a significant challenge - for a guy in your situation, depending in part on what you like.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
how many men are there in the 20-29 age group? if there are 120,000 men in that age group, for example, that sounds good for you. if there are 185,000 men in that age group, maybe not as good for you.
oops. i skimmed your post too quickly before and just looked at it again and saw you posted the % for 20-29. though, it looks like that might be metro denver - denver proper had a higher ratio m:f for that age group (more like 53:47 or 112:100) according to CensusScope -- Population Pyramid and Age Distribution Statistics .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver