Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
esc esc started this thread

13 posts, read 54,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
At your age, coupled with you interests, there's definitely a spot for you somewhere in Denver, but it's up to you to find it. As wonderful as we all are here at CD, we have our limitations to our advice!
For sure! Thanks to all for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
About Aurora: You'll find a lot of young people in central/north Aurora, but it will be more of the low income/ poor type. SE Aurora is a nice part of town, and it's great for young families with little kids, but no place for young people in their 20s, IMO.

If you're working by the Centennial Airport, I would recommend taking a look at living in the areas in the Tech Center/ I-25 corridor. There are a lot of new condos and apartments going up in that area, with close access to the light rail. Also, the part of Southeast Denver from Quincy to Hampden by Tamarac Square might be worth taking a look at-- older apartments in that area, but a lot of younger people.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 PM

163 posts, read 908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Bigdummy, I will update after a visit. Also, maybe your perspective on why you want to leave Dallas for Denver will help me decide if I'm making the right choice.
I'm originally from Connecticut, and moved to Texas for college. I'm 32 now, so I've been here 13 years, but I've never been able to adjust to the heat and humidity that make it miserable here for most of the year. I know most people don't really like the heat, but for me personally, it's almost unbearable...I want a 4 season climate with a winter and snow!

I used to be a big partier, and although I still enjoy an occasional outing to the bar, I'm looking to get into, er, healthier activities. I love the outdoors and was a total boyscout nerd as a kid, and I long to get back into a lifestyle where I can enjoy quality outdoor activities year round. I haven't skied in 14 years, but I'm dying to get back into it. I also love hiking and biking. So Dallas just doesn't have much to offer me.

In Dallas, peoples idea of "recreation" includes 4 things; dining out, shopping, nightlife, and church. Thats it...the majority of people in Dallas could care less about outdoor activities and recreation, which is evident in the sprawling, concrete jungle design of the cities/towns, and the almost total lack of things to do outdoors.

I'm also sooooo sick and tired of the ultra pretentious, materialistic attitude that you see around Dallas. Sure, there are normal, unpretentious people here, and I have some great friends here...but I really don't want to live someplace where I have to go out of my way to find people who aren't like this. I want to live someplace where this isn't the norm.

Denver also appeals to me because I work in IT, and like Dallas, Denver has a great IT job market. Obviously the cost of living is somewhat higher in Denver, but as we all know, you get what you pay for.

Anyhow, thats my story. I imagine these are the same reasons alot of people move from D/FW to Colorado.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:51 AM

88 posts, read 309,347 times
esc,
I think overall that Denver is NOTHING like Dallas. Dallas, particularly the newer suburbs, all about conspicuous consumption, designer labels, high-end everything. Denver has a much more laid-back feel, and with the different setting and climate, is much more about outdoor activities. Tons of parks, bike trails. I think it is a beautiful city. Dallas (DFW overall) has just become a huge, sprawling megametropolis, much like Houston.

What area of OK are you from?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
I echo the comments about the I-25/Tech Center area -- it seems there's a lot of young singles there. A 30-ish single friend of mine recently bought a condo there, he really likes it. There's also a lot of restaurants, shopping, etc. nearby, which draws people into the area.

Aurora -- I've never felt unsafe there, but the nicer areas are pretty family oriented. Not really where I'd look to live as a young single.

Jefferson County (Arvada, Westminster, Lakewood, etc.) has the advantage of being close to the mountains, which draws more young people.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:21 PM

388 posts, read 328,449 times
Keep in mind in Denver and other parts of CO, men outnumber women. While this might be good news for women or gay men, it seems to concern others a bit, at least from what I've heard and read. Some people even refer to Denver as "Menver". Since my GF was imported from another state, I don't have any dating experience here, but I thought I'd share what others have expressed.

As for why men outnumber women in CO, I don't know. Maybe women don't generally care for skiing as much as men or care for the dry weather, which can affect their skin. Could be military reasons as well.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:09 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Some people even refer to Denver as "Menver".
Really? I've never heard that in my life. Is there a certain part of town where that's more true than others? From where I've lived, in the SE suburbs, I've never noticed any imbalance at all.

Quote:
Since my GF was imported from another state, I don't have any dating experience here, but I thought I'd share what others have expressed.
I like your idea-- go where the hot chicks are, snag one and bring them back to CO. Just going off really, really subjective, non-scientific experience, I would say that the girls where I live in AZ (Tempe/ Phoenix area) are way better looking than the girls in CO. Walk around ASU campus, then walk around CU, and it's a world of difference. OTOH, Arizona is also a state with an imbalance of men/women; AZ is 49.9% women, whereas CO is 49.5%. So does that US Census statistic really mean anything?

Quote:
As for why men outnumber women in CO, I don't know. Maybe women don't generally care for skiing as much as men or care for the dry weather, which can affect their skin. Could be military reasons as well.
I highly, highly doubt those speculative reasons you suggest-- except for the huge military presence (which would explain a lot). Most people in Denver rarely go skiing at all (or have never even been).

I just looked up the % Female statistics for 11 western states.
% Female:
CA: 50.1%
OR: 50.3%
WA: 50.1%
MT: 50.1%
ID: 49.8%
WY: 49.6%
CO: 49.5%
UT: 49.8% (side note-- how can you have polygamy if there's more men than women?)
AZ: 49.9%
NM: 50.8%
NV: 49.1%

The only other western state with a lower percentage of females than Colorado is Nevada. That's weird; you'd think with all the strippers in Vegas there would be more women than men.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 PM

388 posts, read 328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I like your idea-- go where the hot chicks are, snag one and bring them back to CO. Just going off really, really subjective, non-scientific experience, I would say that the girls where I live in AZ (Tempe/ Phoenix area) are way better looking than the girls in CO. Walk around ASU campus, then walk around CU, and it's a world of difference. OTOH, Arizona is also a state with an imbalance of men/women; AZ is 49.9% women, whereas CO is 49.5%. So does that US Census statistic really mean anything?
Yup, I've heard about the high amount of ugly women living in CO. I'll tell you one thing - in DougCo, there are plenty of HOT females. I bet you most of them are from California and other states, not CO natives. Problem is, most these types are married and have children, so you're outta luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I highly, highly doubt those speculative reasons you suggest-- except for the huge military presence (which would explain a lot). Most people in Denver rarely go skiing at all (or have never even been).
Like I said, I was speculating. It would be interesting to find out why males outnumber females in CO. I guess one should be happy just finding a female here, period. You'll probably have to settle for less quality or on the heavy side since you cant be real picky in this state.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 AM

163 posts, read 908,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Yup, I've heard about the high amount of ugly women living in CO. I'll tell you one thing - in DougCo, there are plenty of HOT females. I bet you most of them are from California and other states, not CO natives. Problem is, most these types are married and have children, so you're outta luck!

Like I said, I was speculating. It would be interesting to find out why males outnumber females in CO. I guess one should be happy just finding a female here, period. You'll probably have to settle for less quality or on the heavy side since you cant be real picky in this state.
As a single guy thinking of moving to Denver, I've worried a bit myself about the ratio...but I can't imagine it's really that bad. I'm pretty sure an eligible bachelor will be able to find a nice young lady in Denver. I bet there are a bunch of "mountain man" types, who live in rural Colorado, and are skewing the numbers. But in the Denver metro area, you'd think the ratio would be close to even?

As far as hotness goes, compared to women in other cities...there are other factors a man needs to consider. For instance, at first glance, Dallas seems to be crawling with hot women. But when you take a closer look, you see that most of them are not really naturally hot. Rather, it's their designer clothes, luxury car, botox injections, fake breasts, $200 hairstyle, weekly trip to the beauty spa, etc, which make them seem hot. Is this really the kind of chick you want?

I'd rather have a laid back, moderately attractive girl, who enjoys the Colorado outdoor lifestyle, as opposed to a high maintenance, very attractive girl, who's only hobbies include spending my paycheck at the mall.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't any hot chicks who like outdoorsy things, but next time you see a hottie in your city, take a closer look...does she really seem like the kind of girl you're gonna enjoy spending time with? And as far as being heavy, isn't Colorado consistently ranked the healthiest state in the US? I'd assume that means girls there are in great shape?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Rather, it's their designer clothes, luxury car, botox injections, fake breasts, $200 hairstyle, weekly trip to the beauty spa, etc,

Is this what you are referring to?

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver