Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,309 times

Advertisements

I signed a 6 month lease agreement, provided deposit and first months rent after breaking up from my fiancé. However, that very night my fiancé reconciled and I informed the landlord the next day that I will not be needing the apartment. We agreed that I would try to find another potential renter....I brought 5 strong potential renters to see the apartment. Problem was the short 6 month term knowing the landlord was going to sell. Then recently, the landlord put the apartment on the market for sale....even more impossible to rent. I never took procession of the apartment or received a key. In fact, the landlord still hasn't sent me my copy of the contract as discussed via email. I realize under normal circumstances I am obligate, but do my efforts and these unique circumstances make a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Is the landlord requesting rent from you or refusing to refund your deposit?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,309 times
He is expecting rent, but has a months worth of rent in the deposit. I'm considering to tell him just to take the deposit money for June's rent. He says he has lots of showings and even a potential renter to take over July 1.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
offer him the security and 1 month rent to void the lease. If he doesn't agree, he is a jerk. Beyond that you only have to worry if he takes you to court, and if he is listing the place for sale now, I don't see as how he can claim any damages beyond the security and 1 month rent. I don't understand how you could have brought 5 renters to the property if you don't have the keys. There is more supply than demand for 6 month leases, I don't see where that would be an issue, and why were these strong renters not already informed of the six month lease before even showing up? I am inclined to think there are some things you are misrepresenting here

Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Sounds like a total jerk. If you hadn't given him something as good as cash at lease inception, I'd have suggested retroactively removing the funds (The way you would with a credit card). You were not in a stable frame of mind. I would use that as grounds to deny payment and void the contract.

Seeing as he is a jerk, you may consider taking the legally position that he knowingly took advantage of your altered state of mind:
Who Lacks the Capacity to Contract? | Nolo.com

If he sues, and he sounds like he would because he is an ***, he would have a decent shot unless you could bring up evidence that he was knowingly taking advantage of you. Since he is marketing the property for sale, we know he is intentionally making it difficult for you to find someone to take the lease.

Granted, moving so quickly as to immediately sign a lease was stupid. However, I wouldn't consider this to be a contract worthy of living up to.

PS. I have a credit score around 800, but I wouldn't give this guy a cent. He is the kind of human trash that gives landlords such a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver