Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:29 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom822 View Post
Secured an apartment. Move in is next month and I'm looking forward to it. Will be in Baker.
Awesome. I really like Baker. Congrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
You are going to love it!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 PM

25 posts, read 39,904 times
Any good suggestions for moving companies for anyone that has moved to Denver from across the country. I'll be coming from Atlanta and my wife and I are trying to get as many quotes as possible. My realtor has a preferred mover that he suggests to all his clients, but I have yet to get any kind of quote from them. Some are a bit ridiculous so we're trying to exhaust all resources to find a good deal, but something that would be reliable.

I have also considered the idea of renting a Pod and then having it picked up and delivered. Anyone with experience doing that?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 PM

54 posts, read 65,219 times
Quote:
Any good suggestions for moving companies for anyone that has moved to Denver from across the country. I'll be coming from Atlanta and my wife and I are trying to get as many quotes as possible. My realtor has a preferred mover that he suggests to all his clients, but I have yet to get any kind of quote from them. Some are a bit ridiculous so we're trying to exhaust all resources to find a good deal, but something that would be reliable.

I have also considered the idea of renting a Pod and then having it picked up and delivered. Anyone with experience doing that?
We literally just packed up the POD and it's on it's way to Denver from DC while we take a while to make our way west. So far PODS has been a relatively inexpensive and reliable way to go for us (compared to the whole movers hooplah).
I'd certainly recommend looking into it!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 PM

450 posts, read 507,464 times
We moved here from FL. We rented a 16' UHaul truck and a car carrier (to haul our mini van that we packed every inch of). My husband drove the heavy load and I followed behind in our pick-up truck (also fully loaded). It wasn't cheap or easy in any way, but it was the most economical for us.

Just a hint if you do decide to do what we did... Invest in a pair of walkie talkies! I think I paid about $20).

Since my my husband was driving the big load, I followed behind, but he could tell me over the radio that "he needed the right lane" for example. I had a much easier vehicle to manage and could get over to the right and let him know when it was safe to move in front of me (he didn't even have to look around much). Much safer doing the tag-team approach.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:41 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
We went the Uhaul route. I looked at it every way, and that was by far the cheapest. We had to drive our cars out anyway. I paid professionals to load and unload the truck, so all I did was the driving. Keep in mind that I was moving a 4 bedroom house worth of stuff, so my overall costs were higher. If the pod is close in cost I would go with it because driving a Uhual across the country is a bit nerve racking.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 AM

25 posts, read 39,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eearhart View Post
We literally just packed up the POD and it's on it's way to Denver from DC while we take a while to make our way west. So far PODS has been a relatively inexpensive and reliable way to go for us (compared to the whole movers hooplah).
I'd certainly recommend looking into it!
My wife actually called them today for some information. So it looks like you pay for these by month? I think they told us it would take 7 days for it to get from ATL to DEN so we would have to have them deliver it at least a week out and pack all of our stuff in it and have them take it away the same day.

My question is, what did you do in the in between time as far as living? Did you stay with friends? We will have to be in town until we close on our current condo, which is going to be 3 days before our scheduled move-in in Denver. PODS said they have storage out there so if it got there before us they can just store it and we can schedule when we need them to deliver it for our move-in.

The price wasn't too bad. Obviously U-haul / do-it-yourself moving truck/van is the most economical. But I certainly see it being a challenge with it just being the two of us and her having to drive behind me. Doesn't seem like it'd be as enjoyable as just being able to get in our cars and driving and taking our time.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Both of these seem like possibilities. We only have about 900 sq feet worth of stuff to move so it certainly won't be large by any means, which is keeping the U-haul option in play.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:54 AM

54 posts, read 65,219 times
Quote:
My wife actually called them today for some information. So it looks like you pay for these by month? I think they told us it would take 7 days for it to get from ATL to DEN so we would have to have them deliver it at least a week out and pack all of our stuff in it and have them take it away the same day.

My question is, what did you do in the in between time as far as living? Did you stay with friends? We will have to be in town until we close on our current condo, which is going to be 3 days before our scheduled move-in in Denver. PODS said they have storage out there so if it got there before us they can just store it and we can schedule when we need them to deliver it for our move-in.

The price wasn't too bad. Obviously U-haul / do-it-yourself moving truck/van is the most economical. But I certainly see it being a challenge with it just being the two of us and her having to drive behind me. Doesn't seem like it'd be as enjoyable as just being able to get in our cars and driving and taking our time.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Both of these seem like possibilities. We only have about 900 sq feet worth of stuff to move so it certainly won't be large by any means, which is keeping the U-haul option in play.
Sorry I forgot to check back!

We are actually visiting with family for a month in NJ to get some good time in before we move west because we realized we won't be back east for a long while. PODS worked out great for us in that way. And, like you said, it will presumably make the trip more enjoyable when we do head to Denver. We bought a cargo box for the top of the car and have with us about a week of stuff for each family member (4 of us).

Our closing was scheduled for the day we were to leave NJ, so we packed the POD the day before and got a hotel room for one last night in NOVA.

The storage fee didn't seem too bad and it's quite convenient having the POD dropped off when you're ready.
Good luck!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 PM

450 posts, read 507,464 times
Let us know when you get here. Maybe you'll meet some friendly CD tour guides! Safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver