Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:49 PM

130 posts, read 163,576 times

Advertisements

Stapleton and Conservatory Green are on our list of places to consider. For those of you who live in Stapleton (or CG), what is your opinion on this article, published in Westword yesterday? Is speeding a real problem there? What are some of the other "cons" to living there?

"A new study of the Stapleton neighborhood, Denver's nationally acclaimed infill project, concludes that key traffic engineering decisions have encouraged high-speed driving rather than traffic "calming," made residential areas less safe and generally worked against efforts to develop the area as a showcase of New Urbanism -- a design ethos that emphasizes walkability, bike and transit use, and community-oriented development."

Do Stapleton neighborhood's wide streets make traffic more dangerous? | Westword
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
And it turns out some don't think Stapleton as New Urbanism is really New Urbanism at all.

Study finds new urban Stapleton might not be so pedestrian-oriented - The Denver Post

Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default The short answer

YES
Street Design — Local Government Commission
Narrow Streets Slow Traffic - Sprawl - Sierra Club

Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I don't understand what they're talking (complaining) about. I live in Stapleton and my street is so narrow that with cars parked on both sides (which is normally the case), if two cars are going in opposite directions, one car typically pulls over to let the other car pass. Or you have to really slow down as you pass because the cars will come within inches of each other. Similar to driving down Cap. Hill streets.

I read the article and it talked about people speeding on MLK and Central Park Blvd. Those are major streets. I thought the article was just complaining for the sake of complaining. You obviously can't please everyone.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
I have friends who live on 35th and there is certainly a lot of speeding on their street.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-13-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
Stapleton and Conservatory Green are on our list of places to consider. For those of you who live in Stapleton (or CG), what is your opinion on this article, published in Westword yesterday? Is speeding a real problem there? What are some of the other "cons" to living there?

"A new study of the Stapleton neighborhood, Denver's nationally acclaimed infill project, concludes that key traffic engineering decisions have encouraged high-speed driving rather than traffic "calming," made residential areas less safe and generally worked against efforts to develop the area as a showcase of New Urbanism -- a design ethos that emphasizes walkability, bike and transit use, and community-oriented development."

Do Stapleton neighborhood's wide streets make traffic more dangerous? | Westword
Stapleton is big. There obviously has to be major streets with higher speed limits. We don't generally have speeding problems on our residential street. Certain streets that go through to major streets will have more traffic than streets that don't connect to major streets, but that's the same as any neighborhood. I didn't understand the point of the article, other that somebody hates Stapleton.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:17 AM

459 posts, read 807,780 times
Yes there's legitimate criticism of Stapleton, it's not perfect. The road layout was one aspect that people have been critical of before, during, and after development. They did a weird compromise between the Cul-de-sac/Collector/Arterial model dominant in the suburbs, and the grid model in most north american urban areas. Additionally, the arterial streets are wide almost to the point of absurdity. Those things combine to make less safe traffic patterns than you would see in more urban areas.

Not much can be done about the grid where things have been built, but the ROW space allocation can be altered. I lived there for about a year and found the road layout to be obnoxious, additionally I abhorred the shopping center layouts, but there's several things that they did well. Like anything it's a compromise.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
Yes there's legitimate criticism of Stapleton, it's not perfect. The road layout was one aspect that people have been critical of before, during, and after development. They did a weird compromise between the Cul-de-sac/Collector/Arterial model dominant in the suburbs, and the grid model in most north american urban areas. Additionally, the arterial streets are wide almost to the point of absurdity. Those things combine to make less safe traffic patterns than you would see in more urban areas.

Not much can be done about the grid where things have been built, but the ROW space allocation can be altered. I lived there for about a year and found the road layout to be obnoxious, additionally I abhorred the shopping center layouts, but there's several things that they did well. Like anything it's a compromise.
I agree. We have been in Stapleton just under 2 years. I think the traffic issues are the same/no worse than any area where you have a great deal of traffic (both vehicular and pedestrian/bike).

Things the Stapleton Developer (Forest City) did well, IMO: 29th Town Center (parking not great, though), parks, greenspace, walking trails, pools.

Things that are poorly done: hydrology and drainage along the greenspaces (which is causing a major mosquito problem, albeit one that the city should now be responsible for), shopping centers (esp the AWFUL Quebec Square).

Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Central Park Blvd and MLK are akin to Broadway and Speer Blvd: none of these roads are pedestrian friendly and people drive like fiends on them. The design choice to this way may have been shortsighted design, but so was allowing the residents to keep 35th from becoming a thru street and leaving MLK as the only thru E/W street in Stapleton and a little mini-highway. NIMBY-ism can have this unintended result.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM

77 posts, read 112,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Central Park Blvd and MLK are akin to Broadway and Speer Blvd: none of these roads are pedestrian friendly and people drive like fiends on them. The design choice to this way may have been shortsighted design, but so was allowing the residents to keep 35th from becoming a thru street and leaving MLK as the only thru E/W street in Stapleton and a little mini-highway. NIMBY-ism can have this unintended result.
I am not very familiar with the history of Stapleton's design, but the lack of thru streets is what differentiates a lot of suburbia from urban design to me. Even in the western suburbs there is 20th, 26th, 32nd, 38th, and 44th which go almost all the way from Youngfield out west to I25. I shudder to think of how much traffic would be redirected onto 32nd, which is roughly aligned with MLK, if you could not take 26th or 38th instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: