Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM

388 posts, read 328,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
Not true. It's about 10-11 hours to get to San Bernardino, then maybe another 2 hours to OC.. then maybe another hour to LA... or another 2-3 hours to San Diego.
You are so wrong it's not even funny. 10-11 hours?? lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Same back east in the Chesapeake region, a huge boating scene. So many guys just "had to have" a boat back there. My uncle had a shore home on the Severn River, way up from Annapolis. He was surrounded on both sides by Sappington's Boat Yard. Most of those boats never left the pier, they just sat there.

FWIW, a boat is a HOLE in the water you throw money into. Renting one once is a while or going fishing with a charter boat is a better way to use one's money. Boats are like cars, they go WAY DOWN in value as you leave the dealer's lot.
I lived right down the road for a summer in Glen Burnie--worked the season on the Chesapeake Bay. There were many more boats then where I grew up in Buffalo--as Western New York was significantly poorer and conservative spenders then the people near Annapolis.

I found the Baltimore area, one of the worse areas. Too much traffic, too many government workers with fat paychecks (all the bars seem to be busy, every day at happy hour). Baltimore was a depressed, dangerous city. This was before they redeveloped the Inner Harbor.

Ate many crabs with that salty seasoning common to the area--Old Bay Seasoning. It certainly made the cold beers more inviting.

Livecontent

Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ked1o1 View Post
I love love love the ocean and it's all I do in the summer time. But I think I can make do with some type of swimming. I was thinking of going to San Diego because of the ocean but its too expensive.
If you love the ocean and swimming that much Denver would be very tough. You would probably end up regretting moving here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbuffalos View Post
or 26366740 cm.
You need to multiply the inches by 2.54 not divide.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You know the joke:

"You know you are a redneck, when you have a boat parked in the front yard that you never use."
The other one is:

The two happiest days in a boat owner's life: The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ked1o1 View Post
I was basically born and raised in Hawaii lived in Seattle for a little at a younger age. I am looking forward to get off this rock to Denver area. I just wanted to know if there is ANY body of water around Colorado that I can enjoy in the summer. I love love love the ocean and it's all I do in the summer time. But I think I can make do with some type of swimming. I was thinking of going to San Diego because of the ocean but its too expensive. I also love the 300+ days of sun! Some might think I am crazy but Hawaii is very expensive and now that I am on my own I think a new city and life would do. I love snowboarding, I love the sun, water, hiking, and traveling. I am not too worried about the people because I do visit Colorado often and you folks are great. But I am seriously only worried about getting wet during the summer time. Also how far of a drive is it to SOCAL?
Back on topic....

SoCal seems the best fit for your love of the water. Being on the mainland, you can visit Denver a lot cheaper & quicker.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:10 AM

88 posts, read 309,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
If you love the ocean and swimming that much Denver would be very tough. You would probably end up regretting moving here.

You need to multiply the inches by 2.54 not divide.
My bad. Total lack of sleep.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Absolute hogwash. I've driven between Denver and Las Vegas at least a dozen times, and it takes at least 11 hours to get to Las Vegas (forget San Bernardino)-- and that's with almost no stops. Then it's at least 4 hours to San Diego or LA-- at least.

From Mapquest:
Denver, CO to San Bernardino, CA: 974.24 mi.
If you get there in 10 hours, that means you're averaging 97 mph the entire trip.
Ok, so I exaggerated slightly. I know I made the trip from Denver to Anaheim, CA, in 13 hours, in July 2007. It didn't take that long to get from 15@215 to Anaheim. And frankly, the 70 to 15 route has several long stretches in which you can average 100-120+ mph without any trouble. Most notably, Green River to Salina. I've done that 110-mile stretch in 55 minutes.

13 hours isn't two days, so I'd appreciate whoever flagged my post as "purposely misleading" to flag the other person's post, as it's obviously far worse than mine.. or at least cut me a little slack. Thanks much.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 PM

5 posts, read 12,699 times
Nice.... I surf and L&L BBQ is always a plus. How do you deal with no ocean? I think a trip to Cali or back home twice a year can get me in a good mood. I am pretty sure I can pick up something else that I would enjoy.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 12,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Back on topic....

SoCal seems the best fit for your love of the water. Being on the mainland, you can visit Denver a lot cheaper & quicker.

I can't really live here in Hawaii any longer because it is very very expensive. A studio is about a grand a month if you want anything more its about 1500 a month. I can't afford it. I rather live somewhere cheaper and visit home when I need to. I love traveling so flying from Hawaii to mainland gets very very expensive as well. Hawaii really isn't all that great... So much traffic, racism, and its expensive... all that I want is to take the water with me! I am in a situation cause I want to move to the mainland but Cali is exactly like Hawaii, expensive so I want something inland that can get me a cheap ticket or driving experience from Colorado to an Ocean. I am a young nurse so I want be able to get in the water all the time maybe just those three times of a year when I can take leave and go back home.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
Ok, so I exaggerated slightly. I know I made the trip from Denver to Anaheim, CA, in 13 hours, in July 2007. It didn't take that long to get from 15@215 to Anaheim. And frankly, the 70 to 15 route has several long stretches in which you can average 100-120+ mph without any trouble. Most notably, Green River to Salina. I've done that 110-mile stretch in 55 minutes.

13 hours isn't two days, so I'd appreciate whoever flagged my post as "purposely misleading" to flag the other person's post, as it's obviously far worse than mine.. or at least cut me a little slack. Thanks much.
most people don't drive 110 mph ever, so I think your post is more misleading than mine! Google maps says 15 hours from Denver to LA. That could be 2 long days depending on your definition and how many times you stop. With 2 small kids in the car, believe me, that is 2 long days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: