Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 988 times

Advertisements

Hi, After driving home to Lakewood from Longmont my new, used, cheap 2004 Dodge Neon with a title signed over from previous owners I looked into emissions rules only to discover that the DMV website states clearly the seller must provide an emissions certificate at sale. (I was a virgin private used car buyer until today.)

I only have a signed over title, and apparently I can't register the car until I have emissions. I expected this, but as the purchaser holding only a signed-over title will I be given grief at the emissions station when I try to do it?

I don't have plates for the car; the seller kept the plates. I have a Bill of Sale, Odometer statement, and the title issued in seller's name but signed over to me.

Any thoughts?

Phil in Jeffco/Lakewood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 07:29 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
You won't have a problem getting an emission test. The reason that rule is in place is to protect a buyer from purchasing a car that won't pass.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Note the word

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You won't have a problem getting an emission test.
Passing the test might be another issue altogether.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 AM

664 posts, read 2,065,427 times
Yes - the emission test centers are in the business of making money doing emissions tests. Anybody who has the money can go there and get the test done. They even have a sign that says to make sure you need the test because they won't refund your money if you go and end up not needing it done.

If it doesn't pass they have some programs for getting it fixed where the most you would have to pay for repair is $715 (assuming 1968 or newer) before you get a waiver. Also the re-test is free after repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: