Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM

27 posts, read 32,840 times

Advertisements

Hello, Coloradans! I'll try to keep it short, but I'd like your opinions!

Lately, I've been feeling "stuck" and in need of a change. My company has an opening in our Denver office that I'm considering.

I am a mid-20s single guy from Oklahoma. I've lived here all my life and all my family is here. After college, I took a great (paying) job in a small town (~25000 people), also in Oklahoma, where I knew nobody.

These two years have had a mix of good and not-so-good. The dating scene is abysmal and it's been difficult to make friends outside of a couple from work. But Oklahoma has always been home, and you can't beat my commute (5 minutes in traffic; ZERO parking issues!) or the cost of living (nice, cute little house for $600/mo mortgage!). And I love the people here and those I work with!

I love the outdoors, and am an experienced backcountry backpacker. Although I consider myself a pretty simple, down-to-earth person, and Oklahoma is my "true" home, I love to travel and I've been to many places, so I think I'm also worldly and open to new experiences.

Moving to a big city like Denver with its faster pace and entertainment/social options seems really exciting, but I'm a bit scared! Aside from one summer job, I've never lived farther than 2-hours from family. Even my university was 1 hour from home so I never quite cut that "umbilical cord" (except financially; I've been on my own in that regard for a long time!)

Though I've traveled to different cities and countries and cultures, I always knew I'd be going home. Now, I'm facing the prospect of making a whole new state my home!

I love my town because it's simple, unpretentious and community oriented. It is PERFECT for raising a family, but...I don't have a family (or SO) of my own yet!

I feel maybe Denver is a better fit for my life stage at the moment, and trying to make it in a new city and pushing my comfort zone might be good for me. Do you think so? Should I take the leap?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by 2go2co; 07-03-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 PM

19 posts, read 35,468 times
I may not be a Colorado resident(yet), but perhaps I can help. I'm moving to Colorado soon and one of the things that attracted me to it may attract you: the variety. Not just in people, food and beer, but in environment. I'm going to be living in a suburban apartment complex on the edge of farming country, doing a short commute to Boulder and its lush mountains, and I'm within easy striking distance of Denver and it's urban setting. The only thing I haven't found yet is a beach, for obvious reasons. I'm betting you will be able to find the environment that suits you, even if Denver proper is something you end up not liking.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
Hmmmm ....

Tricky question. I don't really have an answer ... just things to consider. Except, my answer to your post title is ... yes ... Denver could be a good fit for you. It can be a good fit for anyone.

If you're shy, a big city doesn't necessarily help.

But backpacking is obviously way better in Colorado than Oklahoma. I guess there are probably lots of meetup groups for backpacking in Denver.

Are there social activities in your own small town that you haven't given a try yet? What do the people do there in their free time if they don't have kids. There are probably volunteering opportunities in your town.

A lot to weigh for your decision. Make a pros and cons list, weigh them out, and ask family / friends for feedback.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Having recently moved back from Denver Metro I think you will like it, but the number of people may be a bit much relative to your current situation. I grew up in OC where women can be stand offish so when I came to Denver they seemed more friendly, so do people in general.

The closer you get to downtown, sorry friends, the less friendly people are. I still joke people in DD are just as inconsiderate and sometimes rude, just like OC, CA.

If it were me, I would rent for 6 months, difficult under current market, maybe in Lakewood and see how you feel after 6?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the input.

I am a bit on the shy side, but that's something I've worked on and I can definitely be outgoing too. Of course the mountains attract me, but even in OK we have some pretty great state parks that are the same drive that the mountains in CO would be, and I don't take advantage of them like I should. But I'd love to learn to ski or snowboard.

Unfortunately, 98% of my office and town are married with kids or engaged. People here settle down very, very young. Like, in a if-you're-not-married-with-a-kid-on-the-way-by-21-or-22-what's-wrong-with-you kind of way. Literally. So unfortunately there really aren't many social opportunities outside of work, one of the reasons I feel Denver would be a better fit.

I feel downtown may be best as far as meeting other young, single people versus the suburbs. But I don't know how well I'd fit in. I come from a pretty simple family and I'm not a keep-up-with-the-Joneses kind of person. I'll be making good money, but my background is fairly humble and the sticker shock of Denver living makes me think even though I'd like to live in a nice apartment and could afford downtown/lodo or similar, I might not have much in common with others living there. But I could be really wrong about that.

Keep the thoughts coming, if you have anything else for me. Your thoughts help me work through the options.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Two Words LoDo. Light rail from another area south to party in LoDo hop train back avoid DUI and leave downtown for visits and work only. Some of the guys I worked with loved it, but they are extroverts that love stimulation, and traffic sounds didn't bother them. My wife and I, we originally wanted to start a family, moved by Castle Rock which is very nice and sterile, like Parker, Highlands Ranch. My other suggestion is going to be downtown Littleon or Belmar Lakewood. Both have nightlife and aren't downtown so pace would be Belmar :: directoryBelmar, a shopping destination Events at Belmar in Colorado Shopping at Belmar in Colorado Dining at Belmar in Colorado APARTMENTS IN BELMAR, HOUSES IN BELMAR, CONDOS IN BELMAR, LIVING IN BELMAR Holidays at Belmar and Christmas at If I could do it over I would move to the nicest part of Lakewood because it's a lot closer to skiing than CR

Old 07-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out Belmar. My work would be in the very heart of downtown Denver though, and I've gotten so used to a "bad day" door-to-door driving commute of 7 minutes vs normal 5 minutes that I don't know if I could tolerate living very far from work haha.

Do you know anything about Skyline 1801? They look nice and seem affordable (for Denver) and allow pets.

Traffic sounds, or sounds in general, actually don't really bother me. We have a train that comes through our town several times a day. I do have a fairly large dog, though, that howls at sirens.

That actually worries me most because I don't want to be a bad neighbor. He's very well-behaved otherwise but I can't get him to stop howling at emergency sirens.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 PM

325 posts, read 371,983 times
I grew up in a small town in Texas (1500 people), then went to college just two hours from my hometown. In my mid-twenties, I moved with my husband to Los Angeles, and I'd have to say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. To live in the city after growing up in a small town is an amazing, enriching experience. After ten years in Los Angeles, I call the greater Denver area home now.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
I lived in a small desert town of 25,000 in California before I moved here. This town wasn't my hometown, just some place I followed my mom up to, a place she had moved to for cheaper housing. TBH, this town might as well have been in Oklahoma.

Anywho, at the age of 21, after being in said town for about a year, I met my future wife, who was from said town. It took 2 years of convincing, but I managed to get her out of there. So off to Denver we went.

Our lives have taken incredible turns, with plenty of ups and downs, but mostly ups overall. She looks at moving here as the best decision she ever made (well, that, and me), and I feel that way to an extent. We would have never made anything out of ourselves had we stayed in her hometown. The thought of staying there for life (which would have contented her at the time, mind you) repulsed me.

However, I feel our social lives were better there. Life was easier there (less stress, didn't have to take "work" home). It was cheap as all get up. 7 minute commute. Her family was all up in our faces (and our business) all the time, which of course had its pros and cons. I was only 2 hours from my family, and we were only 2-3 hours away from a global city (which looking back, we never took enough advantage of).

I'm 30 now, we're still together, and happily living here in metro Denver. We make great money, have stable jobs, and own a house. It's been quite a ride.

The decisions you make now will impact your life going forward greatly. Any unintentional step (or mis-step) could result in drastic changes in your future.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm trying to inspire you.

As for Denver, anywhere close to your work within your budget should be fine.

Good luck. The rest is up to you.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Just do it.
Be mentally prepared to spend $1200 on rent.
You are young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver