Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,761 times

Advertisements

The bond did not pass in 2009 and it will probably not pass this year either. It sounds like you are not in keeping with your community at large. When the bond fails this November see if the choir teacher still has a job and whether he or she has already left to go elsewhere. The district is already in debt trying to fund these programs on borrowed money as it is currently. It is just not possible mathematically to continue to fund these programs in a community that does not support public schools. Best of luck and I hope more people think like you do in Douglas but I'm afraid you you are the minority and you will see that in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Music Program

How can you be sure the music program will not be cut next year after 3a and 3b do not pass which there is a strong possibility that they will not? Douglas schools are already in financial crisis and it will get even worse next year. I wish you the best and hope there are more people like you in Douglas that support public education but in my experience as a Colorado Native, the type of person who lives in Douglas County is not in support of any state or governmental service. A friend of mine in Douglas is outraged by postal workers who make a middle class income and lazy teachers who have a pension when no one else in society does. Douglas county residence are fed a political agenda that wants to see any government agency fail. I think you will start seeing the effects of that in your public schools sooner than later. Douglas is already starting to struggle to offer A.P. classes due to the smaller class sizes that they create. Mountain Vista last year has already dropped one if not more of its AP courses. This will continue as the lack of funding will prevent justification of any class with less than 30 students. However in Arapahoe County that has a much different mantality towards public schools and taxes in general will continue to fund its schools and Cherry Creek with offer college courses while Douglas will eventually be unable to. Douglas will have to have furlough days and decrease its wages for teachers next year while Cherry Creek will offer pay raises. The quality teachers and administrators are already starting to leave Douglas and this will continue as long as the community views its schools as poor and ineffective. You are at odds with your community and I think you will discover this in November when 3a and 3b do not pass. Hopefully your children will graduate from Douglas schools before the lack of funding starts to really decrease the quality of education. Best of luck and thanks for your support of public schools.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
speculation.

Not only does DougCo have ballot measures, there is also Prop 103. So, if DougCo schools don't have their bond issue pass, they still might get restored funding via 103.

There is no talk of teacher furlough days as there are a mandatory number of teaching days. Vista has not dropped any AP classes, there are 21 per the course catalog. The IB program has expanded in recent years.

The report showed that budget cuts just for the 75 districts are more than $288 million. The largest cuts, totaling $179 million, are in Douglas County, at $33 million; Denver Public Schools, at $30 million; Adams 12, at $22.2 million; the D-11 district in Colorado Springs at $16 million; Cherry Creek, at $15.1 million; Aurora Public Schools, at $15 million; Jefferson County, at $13.8 million; Mesa 50 and Poudre Valley, both at $12 million and Boulder Valley, at $10 million.

Who are you that can make all these outlandish claims without backing yourself up with facts?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 PM

Default A few facts for you

There is talk of furlough days for next year when the bond and budget does not pass. Mt. Vista lost an AP class last year and Douglas County is the lowest funded school district in the Metro Area. You can google it. I believe Sheridan and Denver Public are at the top and Douglas is at the bottom with the lowest property taxes funding public education. Douglas county has never had an easy time passing money toward education in the past either. You can look into it. Property taxes are demonized in Douglas County and public employees are as well. The schools do well due to stable families who cannot afford a private education, not due to public nor financial support. You need to talk with your neighbors and do a little research yourself about them wanting to give money to their schools. Also if 103 passes it will be because other areas in the metro area vote for it. It will fail in Douglas county. You can read that in the newspaper as well. Do you not talk to your neighbors?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
The effects of budget cuts in Douglas County are already being felt. I have seen a brain drain from Douglas County that is robbing them of some of their best teachers and administrators. For example, this past summer, Rock Canyon's principal (who had worked in DCSD since 1982) left to become principal at Cherokee Trall HS in CCSD. Cherry Creek HS' new athletic director also came from DCSD after working 11 years in the district as an assistant principal and principal (he grew up in Parker and went to Ponderosa HS). I could understand if these were big promotions, but they are not. I have talked to several very good DCSD teachers who have asked me about job openings in CCSD.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,020 times
I lived in Parker for 5 yrs safe to raise a family no diversity and a lot of money feels like you are living in a bubble.The schools are great but I think one of the main reason they are great is because of the money.My oldest had the hardest time fitting in,my middle has done great but she has a stronger personality.Yes a lot of kids wear $100 jeans and drive expensive cars we are a multicultural family and sometimes it seems not so welcoming there and I know a lot of teachers have left DCSD.(and no we are not poor and we owned a home)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver