Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
That's the generally accepted practice almost anywhere when it comes to owners of salons. I've met a couple in California who were actually offended to be tipped. Anyway, calm down. It's not like I shot someone!! And just fyi, I wouldn't say that the person was the owner if I didn't know for sure that she was! She TOLD ME HERSELF that she was the owner.
Again, how do you know if they are owner or and employee? Do you ask every time? What if you make a mistake and the person is actually just an employee? Why should you pay less for the service, just because it's done by the owner, instead of an employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 AM

306 posts, read 546,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Again, how do you know if they are owner or and employee? Do you ask every time? What if you make a mistake and the person is actually just an employee? Why should you pay less for the service, just because it's done by the owner, instead of an employee?
I'm going to answer your question again. She told me that she was the owner. And I tend to go to the same salon until / unless something happens, or I move away from the area, and I generally remember what someone has told me. Obviously if I was at a new place, I'd assume that the person is an employee and I will tip them. And no I will not tip for service at a salon if it's done by an owner (vs. an employee) for the reason I mentioned in my earlier response to you.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No.
I tip waiters (in the USA) because they make $2.13/hr and their entire wage structure is built around tips.
I don't tip people who make a regular wage.
Makes perfect sense DaveBarnes. I've often wondered how the restaurant industry can pay such low wages and not follow minimum wage laws. Obviously, they must be exempt because it seems to be a nationwide thing, not just a state practice. Still very unfair though, especially because some food businesses make lots of money.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Traditionally salon owners were not tipped because they kept all of what you pay for the services. And in a lot of cases, they charged a higher fee for their services. Obviously they have costs of doing business that come out of their profits, but generally speaking, the money is theirs. Other stylists often rent their chair and pay the owner a cut of what they get. That doesn't include the tip, so it is a way to pay them directly. And even when they are employees, they are likely not making a stellar hourly wage, so if you are happy with what they do, it doesn't hurt to give them a tip.

I know some people who have a well established relationship with their stylist when they are the owner, and they give them a holiday bonus rather than a tip each time.

I'm sure these days, most owners are happy taking a tip although some old school ones might be a little offended because it was kind of sign of status to be the owner and not take a tip.

Also, if you do see the owner and decide not to tip him or her, you should still tip anyone else who assists with your appointment, such as someone who shampoos your hair.

I completely agree with you, Emm74. And yes, I do tip others who've assisted in my appointment. Anyway, I don't go to a fancy hair place anymore, just one of those chain places, and I tip about 20-25% and often more as the haircut is very reasonably priced.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:28 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
I will add that I generally tip 25% to female bartenders and waiters, and 20% to male bartenders and waiters.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:40 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I will add that I generally tip 25% to female bartenders and waiters, and 20% to male bartenders and waiters.
That's a non-gender biased average based on quality of service correct?

Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Hi, I lived most of my adult life in CA where tipping is expected for every little thing, and I was used to that and didn't think anything of it. Then I moved to Tennessee for a few years, and it was the complete opposite but I still tipped although I didn't give the same percentage. I'm having a bit of a problem here in the Denver area. Just not sure sometimes if I should tip or not at certain places, and what percentage .... These are some examples of places I go to:

1. Vegetarian Cafe (getting food to go, not to eat-in)
2. Salon where I get my eye-brows done (it costs $7 and I tip but not sure what percentage to give!)
3. Salon where I get my hair cut (costs $12, not sure what percentage to give)
4. Car wash (where they vacuum the inside, drive your car through the automatic wash and then hand-dry the outside for $15.99)
5. Lawn service (costs $20 each time they mow)
6. Vietnamese restaurant (getting food to go, not to eat-in, generally costs about $18)
7. Starbucks or independent cafes (with soymilk instead of regular milk it costs about $6)
8. Guy at family-run nursery who carries my heavy gardening stuff to the car
9. Doggie grooming salon (costs about $35) - Yes, my dog's haircut is more expensive than mine!

Appreciate your input!

Thanks.
Let's clear something up, having lived in 5 states(including 20 yrs in CA) you don't tip for every little thing in CA.

Never tipped at fast food places, or picking up to go food.

While I will admit I believe I started seeing tip jars popping up in the late 90s in CA, it is all over the country now. Whether you're in TN, CO, or CA, you will see a tip jar at a Starbucks.

No, I wouldn't tip at a Starbucks.

Some of your list is really a no brainer. Why would you even think to tip for food to go that you pick up? They're handing you a bag, not waiting on you.

The norm is 20% when you sit down at a restaurant or have your hair done at a salon. That is across the country, not area specific.

I would tip the car wash people about $2.

And you don't tip people who provide lawn service, you're paying them. If you like them and think they do an outstanding job, you might tip them once around the Holidays in Dec.

But again, tipping is not area specific.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I learn something new each day.

Here is a tip for many here.

If you are at a night club or bar and your server delivers drinks for everyone then it is best to offer a $1 per drink tip as a minimum. I am normally the designated driver so although I pay a tip my drinks are normally free. Some people think that the tip should be paid based on the number of trips a server makes to your table. Pleas do not do that. It is a lot of work to get those drinks to you, in a busy place anyway. Realize that you can always head on over to the bar and have the bar tender get you a drink if you don't want to pay the tip.

Sit down place, who cares how nice the place is. If you have a server then pay a tip. 15% is a low tip. 20% is more like it. If you offer 10% and you did have a bad visit, pay the tip but leave a note to the server that you were expecting better service. Many places will include the tip if you are in a large group. When we go out to eat as a family I seldom have to worry about the tip because it is included. If they went over the top I may add additional to the tip.

Fast food is not a place that I will offer a tip. Unless: I go to my favorite taco truck and ask for a specific way to make my burrito. My wife likes extra beans and I will pay a bit more to make my wife happy. I show my gratitude by tipping. They know I tip and make it the way I want it.

I prefer to do most of my own stuff around the house, have my own lawnmower. If I was using a service though I wouldn't tip each visit. I would tip at the end of the year though. Hire a company to move something for you? Tip the help $5 or $10.

Vacation tipping: You are at a hotel and want to know the best club in town. Here is a trick. Find the concierge and shake hands with them passing a $20 in the hand shake. Ask the question about what hot clubs are in town. It works the same for getting tickets to a show or what have you. Maybe you want a nice table at a local restaurant. Try that trick. It works for me. Realize that it is a business transaction. They work for money but keep it between you and the person you are asking for "help". You don't have to tip for everything but when the word gets out you will get lots of help.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Ok folks what about furniture delivery?

I ordered a bed from a place about 5 min from my house, it cost $80 to have it delivered (which I thought was very high). It took the 2 guys about 15min to take it off the truck and have it setup in our bedroom.

Tip or not to tip?

Old 07-05-2014, 02:57 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Ok folks what about furniture delivery?

I ordered a bed from a place about 5 min from my house, it cost $80 to have it delivered (which I thought was very high). It took the 2 guys about 15min to take it off the truck and have it setup in our bedroom.

Tip or not to tip?
I'd tip $5 or $10 each, whatever you're comfortable with.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver