Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 AM

227 posts, read 1,008,912 times

Advertisements

I think the point Steve is trying to make is that there are large areas of empty space that are part of the Denver city limits. The airport and the area surrounding Pena blvd are within the city limits but not populated. That makes the density numbers skewed. If you removed those areas from the equation I think your numbers would be very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 PM

93 posts, read 260,238 times
Quote: Personally, I think Pittsburgh looks more attractive by leaps and bounds

Maybe in that picture, but the Denver picture eliminates the great appeal that lies 180 degrees in the other direction. Nobody's rushing to populate Pittsburg these days.

Quote: So what if the Denver schools aren't big "party schools"

Maybe be it was the times (early 70's), but you could have fooled me! First directive at DU dorm orientation by the SA, was to make sure you kept a towel snug up to the base of your door. ;^)

I love Portland and Seattle, but the dreariness is a big negative, for me at least.

I just come away from this thread with the obvious conclusion that anybody can make a personal case for loving or hating anything. It really only speaks to the OP, and the handful of Denver haters that populate this site.

Last edited by zman0457; 11-30-2008 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,704 times
jjacobclarke: Those pics really show something!!! I had no idea --- it's just weird seeing the city like that. I've flown over a zillion times, but when you compare pics, well, it really does look flat w/no vegetation. Also, Denver looks so tiny to me in that pic.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
The Denver pictures appears to be taken in the winter, whereas the Pittsburgh picture looks to me like a summer photo. Yeah, that's really disingenious.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,704 times
Vegas: True --- it's not fair if they are in different seasons. But still very interesting to see those views. You don't think Denver looks itty bitty?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Vegas: True --- it's not fair if they are in different seasons. But still very interesting to see those views. You don't think Denver looks itty bitty?
Pittsburgh looks pretty drab and ugly in that picture too; even considering that it was taken during the "green" half of the year, I doubt that picture really does Pittsbugh justice. Looks really hazy/polluted or something. Truth is, you can't use stupid aerial shots to "prove" anything about a city. I'd rather see pictures of what it looks like on the ground up. I'm sure Pittsburgh has its charms and has a lot going for it, but I truly do not believe it is any bigger or better of a city than Denver is.

If we're going to launch a photo war here of who's city is better looking in pictures, between my photos, Denver Aztec's, MobyLL's, and McGowdog's, Denver's got a winning team.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,416 times
I dunno, there are some green fields with green trees in the Denver pic, and the clouds (with what seems to be a visible localized downpour on the left side) seems more like a summer convection type than a winter system. After June, the plains around Denver are really pretty brown, and I think that pic could have been taken in late summer or maybe very early fall.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The Denver pictures appears to be taken in the winter, whereas the Pittsburgh picture looks to me like a summer photo. Yeah, that's really disingenious.
I was going more for equal perspectives than anything. How can you tell what season it is anyway??? I don't see any snow on the ground or anything. This is what Denver looks like for most of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Pittsburgh looks pretty drab and ugly in that picture too; even considering that it was taken during the "green" half of the year, I doubt that picture really does Pittsbugh justice. Looks really hazy/polluted or something. Truth is, you can't use stupid aerial shots to "prove" anything about a city. I'd rather see pictures of what it looks like on the ground up. I'm sure Pittsburgh has its charms and has a lot going for it, but I truly do not believe it is any bigger or better of a city than Denver is.

If we're going to launch a photo war here of who's city is better looking in pictures, between my photos, Denver Aztec's, MobyLL's, and McGowdog's, Denver's got a winning team.
That "hazy/polluted" stuff is known as clouds. Places in the East and Upper Midwest have lots of moisture in their air which creates weird things like fog and rain. Try driving into Denver from the east sometime and you can see a disgusting brown smog cloud hovering over the whole metro area.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I was going more for equal perspectives than anything. How can you tell what season it is anyway??? I don't see any snow on the ground or anything. This is what Denver looks like for most of the year.

That "hazy/polluted" stuff is known as clouds. Places in the East and Upper Midwest have lots of moisture in their air which creates weird things like fog and rain. Try driving into Denver from the east sometime and you can see a disgusting brown smog cloud hovering over the whole metro area.
I think your complaints aren't really specific to Denver, but could apply almost equally to any other city in the the mountain west or southwest or even southern California. I think you've made it pretty clear the West just isn't what turns you on. I shudder to think of what it would have been like if you had lived in Phoenix for several years instead of Denver. Phoenix is so frickin' sunny, dry, deserty, new, non-urban, full of transplants, so fundamentally Western in everyway you hate that it makes Denver look like an old rust belt midwestern city by comparison. Personally I love Denver, born and raised there in the SE suburbs, and I'm moving back there as soon as I graduate from my program next May, but my only minor criticism with the area is it's not southwestern enough for me. Once you've lived in Phoenix, Denver doesn't even seem very sunny anymore. Once you've lived in Phoenix, Denver looks like an old, traditional, redbrick city. You and me are looking at things opposite sides of the spectrum.

Believe it or not, not everybody loves "greenery" and gray skies. Some people love seeing for miles and miles and love dry landscapes. I freaking love the southwest, and Denver, while not the southwest, maybe not my ideal landscape, is a place that I can love too. It took me a long time to appreciate it, but I even love brown prairie grass. This is the kind of landscape that turns me on, personally:

And when I want to see snow, I want my snow to look like this:

Pittsburgh? Milwaukee? No thanks. But to each his own. You stay on your side, I'll stay on mine.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Let me throw in a few Denver pics of my own;

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-02-2008 at 01:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver