Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I would welcome more midscale to upscale retail boutiques (and fewer Ross and T.J. Maxx stores). I think at one time there were actual department stores down near Tabor Center. That would be nice to have one or two downtown.
At one time there were four department stores on the mall. May D&F, The Denver, Newsteders and Joslins.

A few years ago I read a pretty disturbing report on RTD's website. It was a service plan report for the route 12 Downing bus. In 1978 route route 12 was diverted into Downtown along Colfax. This was done to provide additional service along Colfax, and relieve overcrowding on route 15, due to an increasing amount of people shopping Downtown.

At the time of the report RTD's surveys showed that the demand for that additional service was no longer there. That people were instead shopping in other areas such as Cherry Creak. The report recommended that RTD convert route 12 back to a crosstown bus. Which is what they have since done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I'm exaggerating a bit of course, but honestly I've walked around NYC, DC, and a few other cities and I've never been heckled as much as on the 16th street mall. The only exception to this is downtown Philadelphia, which is awful
NYC? My experiences living there were awful. My wife and I would be eating on the cafe patio(sidewalk) and be hassled relentlessly for money while eating and they get pissed when you say NO.

SF the Bums would sing annoying songs then go puke on the sidewalk from all drugs they were on.

Denver Bums are tame.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM

220 posts, read 748,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
My question stands how would that help? There's buses behind it being released from civic center/dus every other cycle at some point. It doesn't take long for the bunching to re-occur resulting in the same cascading delays.
Just fess up, your just a frustrated RDT Shuttle Buss driver . Change is difficult. Also, to clarify we are not talking rush hour but mid day, evenings, weekends, and holidays.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
What I do know is RTD has a sense of urgency in replacing the mallride fleet, as to when that will occur or what the status is now I am not sure (for all I know they renegotiated with Designline).
RTD is requesting proposals until August 20. Which means that it will be at least another two years before they are replaced.

Request for Proposal (RFP) No. 13FK005 is seeking proposals from qualified firms to provide 45’ Mall Shuttle Buses (24 Each with an Option for an Additional 14 Each) was issued June 25, 2014. Written proposals will be received by Contracts and Procurement, RTD, 1600 Blake St., Denver Colorado 80202 until 3:00 p.m. prevailing local time on August 20, 2014. Kirk.Nickerson@rtd-denver.com

RTD

Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, it's just all "bums" The Mall is a very important urban spine through downtown. Remove it, and downtown would be dead after 5:30. It reminds me of many European cities where they have pedestrian malls in urban areas.
I think Denver should make it an actual pedestrian mall; remove the buses.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:24 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
At one time there were four department stores on the mall. May D&F, The Denver, Newsteders and Joslins.

A few years ago I read a pretty disturbing report on RTD's website. It was a service plan report for the route 12 Downing bus. In 1978 route route 12 was diverted into Downtown along Colfax. This was done to provide additional service along Colfax, and relieve overcrowding on route 15, due to an increasing amount of people shopping Downtown.

At the time of the report RTD's surveys showed that the demand for that additional service was no longer there. That people were instead shopping in other areas such as Cherry Creak. The report recommended that RTD convert route 12 back to a crosstown bus. Which is what they have since done.
What was "disturbing" about the report?
RTD recognized that shopping habits had changed and they acted accordingly.

Today there are many, many ways to get to the 16th Street Mall should people want to shop there.
These include not just the 15 and 15L routes, but also the 3L, 6, 79L, 83L, 0, 16... as well as light rail.

If people are not shopping at the 16th Mall, it is not because the 12 was rerouted.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM

898 posts, read 937,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I think Denver should make it an actual pedestrian mall; remove the buses.
The buses hardly interfere with the pedestrian traffic at all. I don't know why this would be a consideration. The mall is pretty long and the buses help people get from one end to the other end pretty quickly.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, it's just all "bums" The Mall is a very important urban spine through downtown. Remove it, and downtown would be dead after 5:30. It reminds me of many European cities where they have pedestrian malls in urban areas.
It is a logical extension to Civic Center and to the performing arts center, convention center and the ball park area. It's fun to walk around and people watch and it provides a nice escape to the people that work in the area.
I greatly appreciate the shuttles and the opportunity to hop on and off at will.

Could the service be improved? Of course, but then what couldn't?
Could the quality of the stores be improved? Again, of course, and I expect that once Union Station opens there will be an overall "up-classing" of the area in the next few years.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:35 PM

898 posts, read 937,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I expect that once Union Station opens there will be an overall "up-classing" of the area in the next few years.
Have you been near Union Station lately? It's a complete 180 from what it was a year ago. It's simply astounding to see the progress that it has gone through. I look forward to what's next.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Have you been near Union Station lately? It's a complete 180 from what it was a year ago. It's simply astounding to see the progress that it has gone through. I look forward to what's next.
I have. What a difference from last year when I ventured by on the way to a Rockies game!

Exciting times in Denver.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: