Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for Marijuana Industry
Denver 19 55.88%
Seattle 13 38.24%
Other (please specify) 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,856 times

Advertisements

I'd vote Seattle. It's the bigger city of the two, and have just started rec sales so the need will be there. CO is also saturated with budtenders because of the booming medical sales so most dispensaries will not be hiring and if they do it'll be in minimum wage. I just feel you have a chance to get in on the ground floor in Seattle whereas in Denver that boat has long sailed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM

459 posts, read 807,646 times
The only issue as far as MJ jobs go with Seattle (and WA) is they capped the licenses and total production. I think they can only have 300 or so recreational dispensaries in the entire state, and I think the number of licenses allocated to Seattle is in the twenties. Not sure how long they are intending to keep those limits in place, but it will restrict growth and job opportunities. Additionally, their medicinal market is largely unregulated and several attempts to shut stores down -and the entire market- have been made leading to a less stable medicinal system than we have in CO.

On the flip side CO did transition it's medicinal market to medicinal + recreational stores so not as many new jobs per store. However, some jobs were needed in those existing CO stores due to government regulations that you need to have separate counters and budtenders for medicinal and rec for some strange reason.

Moving forward in the next few months entirely new recreational stores in CO will be allowed to open that were not medicinal, and cities are slowly lifting their moratoriums. So if say Lakewood (denver suburb) which has several medicinal stores decided to lift it's recreational moratorium in an upcoming vote then you might have some opportunities as the MMJ stores that transition would need additional staff. Also the city of Aurora (another Denver suburb and third largest CO city) is going to allow recreational stores starting this October (when entirely new stores can open) even though they banned medicinal stores years ago, so that means they will be looking for entirely new staff for the recreational stores. So pockets of opportunity still exist in CO.

As far as cities go Seattle and Denver are very close. Both have some drawbacks and advantages but I wouldn't hesitate to live in either one. However neither are anywhere near capable of perfectly replicating NYC or more specifically the East Village, although they both have neighborhoods that are substitutes in terms of overall vibe.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM

100 posts, read 227,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKnowledge View Post
I'd love to learn and master the craft of growing one day; that'd be the ultimate goal. And like I said in the OP, its comforting to know that I can finish a degree in Colorado, especially if it will help me in the industry. They have some Cannabis Colleges in the works I believe and that would be awesome

I think the best networking would come from being a "budtender" and the constant interaction and the intimacy and its a great gig to gain knowledge about the product
Just my opinion, A bud tender is a very low paid job and you get stuck in one dispensary, basically like working in a liquor store you might learn the product(at the particular store) and how to work a cash register other then that ,,,?
As a retail budtender you are just stuck behind a counter, dealing with fussy customers and stuck with product from one source and getting the same pay as a McDonalds worker. Once the novelty of legal MJ wears off it is just another product to be sold.

The MJ industry is very competitive in Denver it is not a big pow wow. Each dispensary hides where they bank, hides where they get strains, hides growing techniques, etc. So don't expect to much “networking” from a retail bud tender job.

Personally for networking I think someone would be better off as a independent freelancer. You can go around try product from any place you want, attend events, festivals, meet people, trade biz cards, etc. Getting a horticulture degree or marketing degree will also help you network and get into the MJ industry and get a worthwhile job.

What the scene is right now-
As of now the medical shops have been in the game longer and have better buds. If you get a red card you can go buy 1-gram quantities all day at $10-$12 a gram. After a bit you figure where the good stuff is and where the good growers are.
Most of the rec shops are still new so are their customers so they are over charging and sell low grade warehouse buds.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 PM

11 posts, read 32,932 times
I know someone who recently opened a recreational dispensary in downtown Denver. I have been told that it is actually pretty difficult to find good employees. You wouldn't believe the numbers of people who show up for job interviews high, late, or just unprofessional overall. They get a lot of applicants, but very few good ones. They are still looking for bud tenders, and pay more than minimum wage. I can forward information via private message if anyone is interested.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 17,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purselady View Post
I know someone who recently opened a recreational dispensary in downtown Denver. I have been told that it is actually pretty difficult to find good employees. You wouldn't believe the numbers of people who show up for job interviews high, late, or just unprofessional overall. They get a lot of applicants, but very few good ones. They are still looking for bud tenders, and pay more than minimum wage. I can forward information via private message if anyone is interested.
PM me please?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:04 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purselady View Post
Have you ever owned a business or managed employees? They are the #1 hurdle to overcome. Was your friend surprised that the ppl that wanted to work for $10/hr selling pot showing up late and high? I wouldn't expect too many BA grads lining up for that job.

I read an article that the CO pot laws are driving in more and more homeless. Denver already has more than I've ever seen, adding more is not a good thing. Im still not sure how good of an idea legal pot is.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 PM

555 posts, read 803,083 times
Grey Knowledge;
From what I've heard, Colorado is fairly well established already in that industry so it might be harder to go in 'at ground level' than a year ago. I live in Washington State and the industry here has been so badly managed it's nearly on the verge of complete collapse.

I might suggest two other options: Oregon has a legalization initiative on the ballot that's widely expected to pass and they could very well pick up where Washington has failed. That would be a good place for entrepreneurial endeavors I would guess. California also might be good; they have limited legalization, but a huge industry. You might want to consider those options.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
What exactly is the profit margin of pot? Throwing the heavy tax on top just seems like it's almost impossible to make it a profitable business.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 PM

555 posts, read 803,083 times
Sammy 87:
I have no idea what the profit margin is; but I think you're right---the overhead expenses seem like it would be massive. To start with, Colorado and Washington don't have climates or soil that favor outdoor MJ growing---the cost of electricity and water on one of these greenhouses must be astronomical. Not to mention there's a lot of labor involved in processing the product. You can bet too, I was in that industry I wouldn't be without an attorney on a fat retainer!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:22 PM

325 posts, read 371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKnowledge View Post
Sorry, I should have elaborated on the 20K.

The 20K is for living and maintaining in either city.

I simply want to work at a dispensary to get my feet wet and to gain more knowledge and move up from there. I'd be humbled to work in a shop to start with.
Wow. Way to reach for the stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver