Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 09:33 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Denver in late September for work and I have a question about whether a few areas are safe or not for someone to be walking around alone. I'm from the Dallas area, so I'm not unfamiliar with decent sized cities, but I know which areas to avoid there.

I'll be working at two locations: 16th/Grant and Lincoln/16th. I will be with co-workers if we decide to walk to lunch so I'm not too worried about these locations. But any insight you can give me would be helpful.

Our hotel is located at Quebec/MLK. I might strike out on my own for dinner a night or two, so I would really like to know about this area.

Finally, I want to visit the Chihuly exhibit at the Denver Botanic Gardens. More than likely I'll go back to the hotel and drop my things off and then head there. I was thinking about using Uber, but I haven't decided yet. Is public transportation safe and generally reliable? Or would anyone recommend I use something else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
First a question: Why are you staying so far away from where you will be working? You should stay at the Sheraton or Hampton downtown IMO.

I'd say both areas 16th/Grant-Lincoln and MLK/Quebec are pretty safe, however 16th is more active area with a lot of "bum" traffic near the Capital. MLK-Quebec if you stick to Stapleton it should be fine.

The only public transit to Botanic Gardens would be Bus or Bike. Now you could use Uber or Car2Go.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
As the Mach said, your hotel is really far from downtown. The downtown areas are quite safe, the area you are staying is across the street from a very family centered neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
First a question: Why are you staying so far away from where you will be working? You should stay at the Sheraton or Hampton downtown IMO.

I'd say both areas 16th/Grant-Lincoln and MLK/Quebec are pretty safe, however 16th is more active area with a lot of "bum" traffic near the Capital. MLK-Quebec if you stick to Stapleton it should be fine.

The only public transit to Botanic Gardens would be Bus or Bike. Now you could use Uber or Car2Go.
I thought the same thing about the hotel. We were told to book rooms there since it is one of my employer's preferred hotels. I guess they didn't want to pay for more expensive rooms closer to downtown.

Thanks for the information about 16th. I went to the capital a few years ago and walked around that area and remember what you are talking about.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM

If you can, amend your hotel plans: Hampton Inn @ 1845 Sherman Street, Denver, Colorado, 80203

You will thank me later!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Well, the hotel is maybe 5 miles from downtown, so not THAT far. If you want to walk from the hotel to places to eat, you'll have to walk across Quebec into Stapleton. There's a nice town center at 29th and Quebec that has Noodles, Chipotle, Einstein Bros, Udis, The Berkshire, and Casey's (Irish pub/restaurant). And there's other food options in Quebec Square just a few blocks north of MLK.

Just be careful crossing Quebec. There seems to be an unusual amount of big car wrecks at MLK and Quebec.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:12 AM

5.8 miles lol... but probably 30min in rush hour wouldn't you say denverian?

It takes me 15-20 to get from Congress park to Lowry sometimes @ 5pm.

Anyways, no worries just trying to save the fella some commute time.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:46 PM

220 posts, read 748,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm going to be in Denver in late September for work and I have a question about whether a few areas are safe or not for someone to be walking around alone. I'm from the Dallas area, so I'm not unfamiliar with decent sized cities, but I know which areas to avoid there.

Our hotel is located at Quebec/MLK. I might strike out on my own for dinner a night or two, so I would really like to know about this area.
My recommendation is to stay east of Quebec St. I would not recommend walking alone west of Quebec St or North of MLK at night. Nothing to see anyways.

For transportation you might want to consider Car2Go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: