Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 10,887 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are wanting to move to Colorado from Ohio. she is on disability, and im kinda a jack of all trades more or less. we are not rich, so we must budget. we will have ruffly 10k saved for our relocation..which will be somewhere not where we are lol. we want to keep our housing and utility budget under 700 bucks a month..almost any type of housing is good for us..but would like something with 2 bedrooms..be it a house..apt..trailer etc. we live a pretty simple life..so fairly adaptable to whatever. Denver? Colorado Springs?..would like good info on places to live in Denver or maybe within a few hours drive of Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 01:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbd420 View Post
My wife and i are wanting to move to Colorado from Ohio. she is on disability, and im kinda a jack of all trades more or less. we are not rich, so we must budget. we will have ruffly 10k saved for our relocation..which will be somewhere not where we are lol. we want to keep our housing and utility budget under 700 bucks a month..almost any type of housing is good for us..but would like something with 2 bedrooms..be it a house..apt..trailer etc. we live a pretty simple life..so fairly adaptable to whatever. Denver? Colorado Springs?..would like good info on places to live in Denver or maybe within a few hours drive of Denver.
I'd suggest looking at small towns east of Denver, out on the plains. I don't think you could even find a trailer in metro Denver in that budget.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:46 PM

27 posts, read 54,321 times
Maybe Pueblo, I don't think anywhere close to Denver or Colorado Springs would work on that budget.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Pick another state.
Colorado is too expensive for you.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM

10 posts, read 10,887 times
thanks

Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM

39 posts, read 110,864 times
Oh PLEASE. I think what he means is urban Denver and Boulder are too expensive for you. I've lived here all my life, I've seen PLENTY of thrifty people survive on limited incomes with low rent payments--my husband and myself included. We had a pretty nice apartment when we first got married, for $600. Sure, that was 10 years ago, but it was also located in Greenwood Village (a very wealthy city in the Denver metro area.)

If you and your wife are willing to look at trailers, guest homes, and small apartments--YES, you can find housing here in Denver. Thornton (north side of Denver) and Littleton (southwest) both have some nice trailer home neighborhoods I've seen first hand. You can buy mobile homes in those areas for $40-100k.

My in-laws own 60 acres east of Parker (south east of Denver) and they rent out their 1600 square foot guest home for $500/mo. LOTS of people in rural areas do this. Sometimes they even offer free housing in exchange for farm chores and work on their land. I see it ALL THE TIME.

Colorado Springs also has moderately priced rentals (my sister-in-law and grandmother have rented on the cheap there, in NICE neighborhoods even), and the cost of living down there is slightly cheaper overall. Keep in mind, Colorado Springs is a military area, lots of conservative young military families down there. They have their own unique economy, very different from Denver. The views are BEAUTIFUL and it's less than an hour to the Denver metro area.

Don't listen to anyone who says Colorado is "too expensive". These folks saying our entire state is "too expensive" are probably Boulder yuppies who spend all their money at Whole Foods and on cycling equipment. Colorado is middle of the road, sure we're more expensive than the midwest, but we're much cheaper than California and New York, too.

Last edited by co_native_sweetie; 07-28-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM

39 posts, read 110,864 times
Oh, and my grandmother lived in Castle Rock for 18 years, which is a really lovely place with lots of money. She rented an apartment (Swiss Village) for $450!!! Her income was her Air Force secretary retirement, only $1,900/month. She made her money last and was just fine.

As they say, it's all in how you budget it, not how much money you make. Too many Denverites are up to their eyeballs in debt and keeping up with the Joneses...

Old 07-28-2014, 04:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Simply add another 25 miles to your maximum search radius traveling northeast on I-76 and then....BOOM!!! Sterling's your town!

http://www.sterlingcolo.com/ If you like the rolling high plains and native grassland then enjoy!!

I grew up here from age 12 to 22. Graduated from Northeastern Jr. College which ranks very high in Jr. colleges in the nation.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:21 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_native_sweetie View Post
Oh PLEASE. I think what he means is urban Denver and Boulder are too expensive for you. I've lived here all my life, I've seen PLENTY of thrifty people survive on limited incomes with low rent payments--my husband and myself included. We had a pretty nice apartment when we first got married, for $600. Sure, that was 10 years ago, but it was also located in Greenwood Village (a very wealthy city in the Denver metro area.)
I used to live in the heart of Arvada in a two bedroom apartment for $275/mo until I bought a 1200sqft brick ranch in Thornton for $48.5K...

...Oh, wait! That was 25 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver