Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 PM

22 posts, read 110,080 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm looking at a house between Regis and I-70 / Federal and Lowell. After reading some feedback about Adams co.'s ability (willingness?) to deal with the infrastructure there, I'm a little leery about it. Is it much of a concern when you're that close to the Denver border, or is it mostly in the more rural part north of I-70? Do you think the future RTD rail line and park improvements at Baker reservoir will improve the situation?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I know this area well as I live in the Adams County which is part of the City of Arvada, just north of the area you are describing. I have been through that area many times.

First, I do not believe that Adams County has neglected this area. The school district is rebuilding the schools as a result of a passed referendum on a tax increase in District 50. In addition, Highland Hills Recreation District covers this area and I do not see a neglect. The park you are talking about is not an improvement to Baker, that is owned by the City of Westminster. The park is a project park under Highland Hills Recreation and designated as Clear Creek Regional Park. The Park will be adjacent to an already established Federal Wildlife preserve and It should have some connection to Baker. It certainly will be on the edge of the Clear Creek trail which is extensive and good trail from Golden to the Platte. In my younger years, I did bike along this trail and I never saw or heard of any problems along this very remote trail. Yes, clear creek park will be a further improvement in the area but when, I do not know. There is certainly extensive parks in the area with the Clear Creek trails and the nearby Berkeley and Rocky Mountain Lake Denver Parks. Unincorporated Adams County, north of Federal and Pecos are partly a light to medium industrial and warehousing area. That area is much different than the Adams County area just north of Regis in Denver and has very little impact on the area you are considering. I have been through that industrial area often, and it is not a bad area; it is what it is, a necessary and vital business area. In fact, I find it very interesting. It will have a Rail Station on Pecos which will serve the Gold and the Northwest Line to Longmont.

I have been very actively involved with the RTD planning of the Gold Line and yes, the stations will definitely improve the area; more so with the station on Sheridan and 60th. I think that when this station is finished; it will be the stimulus to build the Clear Creek Park which is close. The station on Federal will have some impact on the area north of I-70; there has already been some movement in land acquisition for housing. The Gold Line that will go through this area is one of the projects, under fastrack, that will certainly be built because of the federal monies that are available for this public/private partnership. It appears that it is possible that the line will be built sooner than anticipated because of the Obama proposals for public works.

The area, you are describing is the Regis neighborhoods, of Denver. I have been there many times and I think the neighborhood is nice and well established. I have never had a problem in walking, biking or driving in this area in 25 years. I think Regis will improve with the fast gentrification that is occurring around Tennyson which is in Berkeley. This area of Regis is positively impacted by the strong Catholic influence of Regis University, St. Vincent Home and Holly Family Catholic Church and School etc. I regularly shop at the Safeway at 44th and Lowell, down the street from Holly Family. You will see many people walking to the store; many elderly of Italian and Mexican ancestry. I have noticed in recent years, more younger people with young children in strollers and more younger people jogging in the neighborhood. So the area is changing, and a new generation is moving there, certainly more affluent, again as a result of the strong gentrification of the new "in" neighborhoods to the south. Some people in my neighborhood drive and park at the Baptist Church nearby on Federal and take the express bus to downtown. I have never heard of a problem with the cars being damaged in the area. Many years ago, when I worked downtown, I would park at Lakeside and take the same bus. I never had a problem or saw any problems on the bus and that was years ago when the area was much rougher than today. Yes, this neighborhood has gone through some changes and now all of North Denver is getting much better. It is becoming the desirous place to live for many people.

The big problem in the area is more north of I-70 on Federal in and adjacent to the Chaffee Park neighborhood. However this has changed for the better with the demolition of the K-mart which is a Regis University property and Regis decided to add it to the campus vs. renting the decayed the property.Chaffee park will improve somewhat with the establishment of the rail station, north of the area.

Another somewhat problem area is the Sunnyside neighborhood, south of I-70 and east of Sheridan. However, this area will continually improve over the years with the gentrification of Highland, to the south. Yet, I have been through this area many times, driving and biking--it is just older and the problem is mainly closer to Federal.

I want to point out that this area of area of Denver is older but has more parks than other areas with Rocky Mountain Lake, Berkeley Lake, Case Golf Course, and the little know Inspiration Point and Camp Rollandet; as well as a number of smaller Denver Parks. Also, I mentioned the open space and parks immediately adjacent in Adams County. It is also not far from the very large Sloan's Lake Park.

This area is great because it has very quick access to Downtown and you will have the advantages of Suburban Shopping in Wheat Ridge, Arvada and Edgewater. There are also large parks in these suburban cities that are close.

I would not be put off in buying a home in this area because you feel that some areas around are a little rough around the edges. It is certainly not a sterile suburban area. It is also not a decayed inner city slum. It is an eclectic area of differences with expensive homes, mixed with modest abodes but it does appeal to many people and it has more open space than many areas of Denver; it can be a good place to live if you see the value of these differences of people and environment in your life.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-23-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks, livecontent. I was hoping you'd chime in since I've read your thorough responses to other questions about the neighborhood.

My wife and I rent near Berkeley lake now. We've been here for two years and really like the area, but we're pretty much priced out of it in terms of buying a house.

The Regis area still has that (smaller) strip of stores to walk to, and it's got some affordable property, I just wasn't sure how being in Adams Co. instead of Denver would affect an investment in a house.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:38 PM

Want to mention that we have some friends living in the Zuni Park area (right across the street from the park) and that area is really nice. I've felt the same about the Chafee Park area, but haven't been their at night like I have around Zuni. Has it been awhile since you've been through there, or is it just a matter of perspective? (I moved here from Cleveland... every neighborhood seems safe in comparison).

Old 12-23-2008, 11:13 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adapterdesign View Post
Want to mention that we have some friends living in the Zuni Park area (right across the street from the park) and that area is really nice. I've felt the same about the Chafee Park area, but haven't been their at night like I have around Zuni. Has it been awhile since you've been through there, or is it just a matter of perspective? (I moved here from Cleveland... every neighborhood seems safe in comparison).
Yes, I know the Zuni Park area and over the years and I have never had a problem with that area. I feel the same way about all the neighborhoods--they seem safe, and are safe, in comparison--I grew up near the east side of Buffalo and I lived and worked in New York City. I can easily live in Chaffee Park; it is far from the worse I have seen. I was just pointing out the comparison to some of the other neighborhoods in that area of Denver.

My experiences of 30 years in the Denver Metro area has shown me that all areas are much better, especially North Denver. However, even in the worse of times, I never felt it was as bad as some of the areas that I experienced in the older eastern cities. Now that I am older, I find older areas more appealing because I want see the world age, as I age. It provides for me an environmental companion and gives me comfort. One of my comfort zones is that old library in Berkeley Park, Smiley--an original Carnegie Library; I just go and sit and feel the age and memories around me ...

Livecontent

Old 01-01-2009, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,806 times
Hello, I currently live near 54th & Lowell in Unincorporated Adams County. The actual boundary line between Adams and Denver Counties is at 52nd Ave. (west of Lowell) and north property line of Regis University (between Federal & Lowell). The area you are looking at (south of Regis) is in Denver, and I owned a home in that area from 1987-1994. I bought my home north of Regis in 1998 because I appreciated the rural feeling & larger lot sizes. So, I've had the experience of owning a home on both sides of the County Boundary and wouldn't dissuade (with a few reservations) anyone from considering a purchase in either area. First, south of Regis Campus - property values are higher (though I'm not sure why-other than Realtors are setting them so) - last time I looked taxes were higher as well - utilities are similar, both get water from DWD, sanitary in Denver is based on Winter water usage, while north of Regis is charged a flat rate, but Adams (Berkeley W&S) has fewer funds for improvements - Denver includes trash pickup, while Adams requires using private company - Since Adams has a mix of streets with and without curb & gutter, they've made storm drainage issues worse for many of us - not a problem in Denver, provided the piping system can hold the runoff - Denver has alleys, Adams doesn't - snow removal in Denver, don't hold your breath, they rarely do neighborhood streets and if your garage is in the alley, pray for warm weather, also in a heavy storm, the plows on Federal & Lowell can make you "land-locked" by mounds of snow - snow removal is excellent in Adams, a few years back when we got 30" at once, the N-S streets were done within a day or two, while the E-W streets took maybe five days - Denver, nada, for a month or two, the bottom side of your car would scrape as you made your way through the two ruts that eventually melted, even though the rest of the street was mostly undriveable/unparkable (god forbid you were stuck in an alley) - as for the resident makeup, I would guess that as long as you are considering immediately north and south of Regis, it is fairly similar - being a diverse bunch of people, while many of the longtime homeowners have chosen to rent their homes to students at a very good profit, leaving many of the residents disturbed by the not unexpected, though not appreciated results of party noise, trash, traffic and parking issues. For the most part, it happens during the Fall, while it's still warm. Another noise factor results because of the proximity to the Firework Warehouses on Federal - some years, it has gone on for months - a bigger problem for me, since I have 2 terrified dogs who sometimes need to be tranquilized - as for Traffic Issues, more and more traffic is using Lowell, so access on can be tough during rush hour. On Federal, Cinco de Mayo is at a standstill and the Police block the exits from I-70 (I think I-76 also). Of course there is some traffic noise generated by living either north of I-70 or south of I-76, but I have always found that it is easy to get used to, though it can raise concerns to some during property resale. Now, in response to your questions specifically about Adams County and the Future Hyland Hills Regional Park - I go to the Berkeley Neighborhood meetings and when it was last presented to us during the summer, we were told, because of funding and drainage issues, it could take "five or ten years", but Lowell Ponds, Baker Reservoir and the Clear Creek Bike Paths are still quite nice to have nearby. We have also had multiple meetings with the School District about their plans for Berkeley Gardens Elementary at 54th & Lowell. I always felt they weren't being straightforward and we recently, by chance, discovered they have worked out a multifaceted trade deal, behind closed doors, that would result in the School District taking ownership of the property on the east side of Lowell, north of I-76 and across the street from the future park. They plan to put a Bus Barn (storage) there. Needless to say, those of us who know this so far (ironically we haven't met since early November due to the Holidays), are prepping for a fight. The word is that Adams County unofficially doesn't support this either and if there is enough neighborhood outcry, they will not allow the Zoning change it would require. In 2006, we successfully made our voices heard in objection to Regis building Dorms within our neighborhood along 53rd. So, as you can see, both Denver and Unincorporated Adams County have good and bad points as does any area - because it is important to participate to help make your neighborhood be what you want. Good Luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM

Thanks TLK, extremely informative

We ended up not accepting their counter offer. Good thing too, since I lost my job yesterday

Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,454 times
Now it is July of 2014.
I am interested in the Area Between I70 and US36 Turnpike to Boulder. Then From Sheridan to Pecos. Kind of that polygon.

(1) What is the discussion of the Baker Elementary School at 3555 64th Ave. ? I saw that there are plans for demolition of that School property. I do not yet know of the plans for the site. Thank You.

(2) What is the status of the Light-Rail? The area is interesting because it will have 4 light rail stations sort of near one another. Specifically, what is the story with:
(a) Westminster South (Irving & 71st) on the Northwest Line?
(b) The Pecos Station (which serves both the Gold Line and the Northwest Line)?
(c) The clear creek and Colfax Station (North of I76 on Federal)?
(d) The Sheridan station on the Gold Line ?

(3) Any changes for the positive down in the new development called Midtown?
I noticed that that development is in the last corner of Denver's zoning jurisdiction. What is Adams County doing to match this permit by Denver?

Thank You

Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsCoCOLowell View Post
Now it is July of 2014.
I am interested in the Area Between I70 and US36 Turnpike to Boulder. Then From Sheridan to Pecos. Kind of that polygon.

(1) What is the discussion of the Baker Elementary School at 3555 64th Ave. ? I saw that there are plans for demolition of that School property. I do not yet know of the plans for the site. Thank You.

(2) What is the status of the Light-Rail? The area is interesting because it will have 4 light rail stations sort of near one another. Specifically, what is the story with:

I noticed that that development is in the last corner of Denver's zoning jurisdiction. What is Adams County doing to match this permit by Denver?

Thank You
Abandoned school is still there. It looks absolutely terrible.

Commuter rail will be in by 2016, for the latter 3 stations. The other one, who knows.

I know nothing about #3, unless I don't remember knowing it.

-I live just west of this area near 64th/Sheridan.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 AM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsCoCOLowell View Post
Now it is July of 2014.

Thank You
Westminster South on the NW line in addition to the Pecos, Federal, and Sheridan commuter rail stations on the Gold line are all part of the Eagle P3 project and slated to open in 2016.

What are you looking at that makes you think Midtown is in Denver's zoning jurisdiction? This is Denver's zoning map to my knowledge nothing extends past Denver's boundaries, and I thought Midtown was entirely in Adams county. Although their could be some weird IGA I am not aware of or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver