Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,707 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I recently came across this site and it's been extremely helpful!

My girlfriend, 2 cats and I are planning on moving out of Chicago and into Colorado. We haven't lived in Chicago for more than one year but after last year's brutal winter, 1-2 shootings a week in our neighborhood and work place, lack of outdoor activities and exposing ourselves to many things we can't afford is really starting to sink in. It's a great place, no doubt, but it's not for us.

With that said, the things I love about Chicago is easy access to public transit, living a few blocks away from work and many opportunities for street photography which I very much enjoy.

Got any advice to where we should settle at? I was told South East Denver is decent and so is Aurora. I'm currently a part-time barista working on pushing my photography business and my girlfriend is a licensed LPN looking to get her bachelor's in nursing. Ideally, we'd like to get our hands on a 1 bedroom unit and work around having as low overhead as possible. M'lady owns a car but I currently do not so public transit is important. (I'm down for bike commuting) Crime isn't a big issue for us as most places aren't nearly as bad as Chicago and we still managed..

If it helps, we're both in our mid-late 20's, artistic, adventurous, adapt very well and both of us enjoy a mixture of suburban & metro living. Nature is very important to us which is a big factor.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
The RTD has pretty decent service throughout the metro area, better in the denser areas than in those farther out. Plenty of places all over the metro where you could be a barista, and live close by. Hospitals all over (assuming that's where the gf wants to work). Come out for a visit and look around.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM

39 posts, read 110,852 times
I was born and raised in southeast Denver, and it is a great (pretty safe, lower crime, well kept, easy access) part of Denver to live in. Fortunately for you, the Light Rail system runs right through it and is expanding all the time. It goes out to Aurora too, but they're still building on toward the airport, which will take a while.

So I'd suggest living near Light Rail, it goes downtown where all the night life fun is. My husband and I live in 80222, and we took the Light Rail down last week for the Journey concert.

People have mixed feelings about Aurora, but I will say this: some parts are much nicer than others, but overall the city has improved a LOT since the 1990s, it's now a popular and inexpensive place for young people to live.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_native_sweetie View Post
I was born and raised in southeast Denver, and it is a great (pretty safe, lower crime, well kept, easy access) part of Denver to live in. Fortunately for you, the Light Rail system runs right through it and is expanding all the time. It goes out to Aurora too, but they're still building on toward the airport, which will take a while.

So I'd suggest living near Light Rail, it goes downtown where all the night life fun is. My husband and I live in 80222, and we took the Light Rail down last week for the Journey concert.

People have mixed feelings about Aurora, but I will say this: some parts are much nicer than others, but overall the city has improved a LOT since the 1990s, it's now a popular and inexpensive place for young people to live.
Thanks for the info! I did look at the RTD routes and what not and I'd prefer to live near them for ease of use. Got any specific parts in the southeast you'd recommend us looking into?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM

8 posts, read 11,353 times
Hi, I'm in the reverse situation where my fiance and I are considering moving from Denver to Chicago. There are 1-2 shootings a week in your neighborhood and work place?! What areas are you living/working? That sounds really extreme.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1116 View Post
Hi, I'm in the reverse situation where my fiance and I are considering moving from Denver to Chicago. There are 1-2 shootings a week in your neighborhood and work place?! What areas are you living/working? That sounds really extreme.
For about a few months or so, we've had some pretty high activity but for the most part, it's pretty chill. I just feel the gang territories and lines are expanding and seeping into nearby neighborhoods which is causing a lot of conflict. I live in Rogers Park (North Chicago) which I specifically chose due to the cultural diversity and safe neighborhoods. I'd say Logan Square is the safest but it's not as diverse. Chicago is pretty segregated. Evanston and up is a bit higher income which boasts less criminal activity but it's not as alluring as the center loop.

From the top of my head, I can remember 3 shootings within rock throwing distance from my work(there's even a bullet hole in one of our interior walls). 1 Shooting about a block away, a cop shooting some kid about 4-5 blocks away on Estes, my girlfriend saw a drive by shooting next to her higher scale restaurant job on Devon and saw the innocent african american man die. He just moved to Chicago. Her co-worker had a gun pulled on her on the way to work. Fortunately, the man ran off without anything. This was all within 1-2 months. I can't even count how many people were shot during July 4th... Over 50 or so. Granted, that's in the southside but people seem to either be in denial or completely desensitized which is a bit depressing.

A lot of these things happen during daylight hours, completely out in the open. The odds of a personal confrontation isn't super high but it will always be present. People are always outside so as long as you walk with confidence and don't get mixed up with the wrong people, you should be fine. Just remember, location is extremely important here. I'm super optimistic and kind but even I have mixed feelings about Chicago. Don't get me wrong, experiences are different amongst others and I tend to enjoy creeping through alleys in search for subjects to photograph but I still keep a keen eye on what's going on.

Whatever you do, don't watch the news here. I haven't and it helps keep an open mind living here.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 PM

16 posts, read 19,672 times
Default Not what it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1116 View Post

Hi vw1116 -

having spent 7 years in living in Chicago prior to moving to Denver last fall, I can say that the violence in Chicago is not quite what it seems. The city is extremely segregated and the violence, while high, is highly concentrated on the south and far west sides. While a good point was made that it is spreading a bit, the area from the loop north through River North, Old Town, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview - and west through west town, Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan's Square are very nice and quite safe.

Chicago is an absolutely gorgeous city, and really exists as two separate worlds . . . for the most part, you don't have to see the bad if you don't want to.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 PM

8 posts, read 11,353 times
Thanks to you both for your information on Chicago crime. I've done a lot of research and what you guys have said reflects my current understanding of the situation. I'm curious, Chicago2Denver, what is your impression of Denver coming from Chicago? I imagine if you're looking for legit urban living, Denver may leave a lot to be desired... this is part of why I'm considering a move; I am seeking a big urban experience.

To the OP,
I grew up in SE Aurora. It's a perfectly typical suburban neighborhood, very nice by Aurora standards. But it's not exactly an exciting place to be if you're in your 20s. Aurora is also one of the further suburbs from the mountains, if that's what you mean when you say nature is important to you.

I have lived in Denver proper since I finished high school and currently live in Capitol Hill. It's definitely my favorite area in Denver, but it's getting pretty expensive (as is the whole city). If you want to be in the city, I'd check out the Baker and West Wash Park/Speer neighborhoods. That's 6th on the north, Santa Fe on the west, Washington park on the east and I-25 on the south. Probably some deals to still be found around there. If you can find something near Broadway between 3rd and Alameda, that's a really fun stretch of shops/restaurants/nightlife with lots of people in their 20s. There's also a lightrail stop there, a rare luxury in a inner Denver neighborhood.

For what it's worth, Denver is already pretty "suburban" feeling for a fairly large city, so I wouldn't seek out suburbia unless you have to due to monetary constraints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver