Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM

6,361 posts, read 11,815,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCritic View Post
60 and rainy is mild in my estimation, low humidity is good, and 95 isn't "Hot" in my opinion. The -10 .... That's another story, but I'm sure I could adjust.
Just a thought, if 95 isn't hot for you then you'd do just fine in the more intense climates to the south and west of here and then you'd never have to deal with anything near -10 or even sub zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:14 PM

16 posts, read 19,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
This is July, pretty much should expect 30 or 31 days above 80 and at least a dozen at 90 or higher. Maybe my memory is selective, but in 4+ years here I can't recall a day in July where the high didn't reach 70 like today.
I do expect it, and certainly no complaints here. Just pointing out that it was a nice swing from the last few weeks. Although, 80 and 90 here are nothing like they are in Chicago, it is still nice to get a break once in a while.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM

2,885 posts, read 7,106,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Today is very Seattle like.

Who would have thought we'd be in the upper 50's with rain in late July?
Heard reports that the high yesterday was 61 (about 30 degrees below normal),
setting a record for the lowest high temperature ever in Denver for any day in July or August.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,579,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Heard reports that the high yesterday was 61 (about 30 degrees below normal),
setting a record for the lowest high temperature ever in Denver for any day in July or August.
Yes, long sleeves yesterday! I walked outside to talk to my neighbor and she was wearing a fleece.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Yes. In 34 winters here, I've seen some warm dry ones, but never one where it never snowed.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-31-2014 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 PM

11,252 posts, read 18,752,289 times
Quote:
If I remember reading right the lowest ever snowfall total for a snow season in Denver was around 25 inches. So yes without a doubt it will snow every winter.
And to put it another way, 25 inches is about the average annual snowfall for NYC and even they have never had a winter without at least one sticking snow, so I assume that is certainly so for Denver.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 AM

529 posts, read 1,540,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktqtp View Post
Today's weather is awesome. I guess they call it monsoon season here? I am very, very happy about the moisture!

Can someone find a graph that shows average lows for the Denver area? I would kinda like to look & see. I've heard so many different opinions on the winter weather here. Since I've only endured one winter so far, it's really hard for me to gauge. I've had people tell me that last year was a mild winter and I've had people tell me it was an extreme winter, and that normally we would never get as much snow as we did (polar vortexes). I believe that my impression of Denver's mild winters was perhaps what set me up for a let-down (was told there was hardly any snow and that the temps were mild). The cold was sooo bad for me last winter - so much more extreme than anything I have ever experienced in my life. There were times I felt like I couldn't breathe outside - even with a scarf over my mouth etc.

If it was a very cold winter last year, then I can deal with it - but if it was indeed milder than the norm, then I don't see myself lasting too long here. It's not what I was expecting. Just thought I would voice my opinion to the OP. I really wished I had been better prepared for how extreme it can get here.
Check out this website for temperature stats
Climatological and Historical Weather Data for Denver, Colorado - thorntonweather.com

Last winter was pretty normal in my opinion, I've been in Colorado a total of 10 years combined now so I know what I'm talking about. It was snowier this winter than the last two but overall nothing extreme. As others have said the snow is not the same as it is in the Midwest or Northeast. I remember living in Michigan and having the same snow on the ground from November until April! The only time you'll see snow stay on the ground in Colorado for more than a few days is if there is a huge blizzard which is very rare BTW, the last one was almost 8 years ago!

I hate rainy days like the one this past Tuesday, they are soooooooo depressing and annoying (a reason I couldn't live in the PNW). I like sunshine and not having to drive on wet roads in traffic. Rain and especially heavy rain like this past week has seen is so much more of a nuisance than snow IMO unless it's very heavy snow which it rarely is in Denver. I know Colorado needs the rain, but days where the rain just continues non stop with no break are rare in Denver and therefore not my cup of tea. The cool of was nice, but I can only take two or three days of clouds and rain before it really gets to me.

It appears you are from Portland and therefore not used to much snow or subzero temps, but it never gets that cold in Denver for too long nor does snow stay around long when it falls. I understand that the 20 or so days every winter where it can get down to 10 degrees or less is a big change from Portland, but think about all the days in between where it is sunny and in the 40's or 50's and even 60's and don't focus on the extreme stuff that only occurs 20% of the time.

In Portland it is in the 40's and 50's during the winter as well, yet it is cloudy and drizzly 80% of the time and the wet cold of the PNW feels colder than the dry cold of Colorado. Portland doesn't get much snow or temps below 30 degrees, but it is much cloudier and rainier most of the time with that wetter cold feeling that IMO is worse than 15 degrees and dry in Denver. Plus it's usually sunny in Denver and this can make 40 degrees feel like 55 or 60 on a dry sunny winter day, something that rarely happens in Portland. So you just have to realize that each area has it's advantages over the other and you should focus on the good.

I look at it this way, Denver is better than Portland 80% of the time and Portland is better than Denver 20% of the time. However if that 20% is enough to really bother you then Denver might not be the place for you.

Last edited by JMM64; 08-01-2014 at 03:29 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 AM

I don't know of any city in the Rocky Mountain region that doesn't get at least some snow in the winter. Even the very mild ones like Pueblo, CO and Canon City, CO still get at least a few inches every year.

The winter of 2011-12 was one of the least snowy and mildest ones I've ever seen. It only snowed considerably in December and February and never really got that cold.

Last edited by JMM64; 08-01-2014 at 03:23 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Just a thought, if 95 isn't hot for you then you'd do just fine in the more intense climates to the south and west of here and then you'd never have to deal with anything near -10 or even sub zero.
It can still get pretty cold in cities like Albuquerque. It's not as common as it is in Denver but it can still happen and does at least once every couple of years. Albuquerque gets far less snow than Denver but it is only slightly warmer in the wintertime than Denver is overall.

Phoenix is a different story though. It's much warmer than 95 in the summer. I'll take 20 days of 20 degrees or below in Denver each year over three solid months of 110 Degrees or higher in Phoenix. This might just be what the OP is looking for though. I love Phoenix and Arizona but that summer heat is too much for me after having lived through it for three years as a child.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM

78 posts, read 101,258 times
Quote:
I said it isn't hot, I didn't say I like the heat.

Another question, when does it start to get really cold in Denver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver