Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 7,964 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
My fiance and are planning to be moving this coming spring(from Miami, Florida). We have narrowed our move down to a handful of cities and Denver(specifically downtown) is one of them.

-We want to live somewhere where we do not need a car, and would be able to walk, bus, bike, etc. to. So would we be able to do that living downtown? We definitely would want to be able to easily walk or bus to the nearest grocery store or CVS or Walmart type place.
-What is the rent like downtown and are there many affordable places for a young couple to live?(we are looking for a range between maybe 900-1100 a month in rent)
-Also, how is the nightlife there and is there generally a lot to do downtown such as restaurants, movie theaters, bars, and so on ? Preferably a major mall or shopping center ?
-Is is relatively safe living downtown ? I know I know, it's a downtown area and of course there is going to be crime. But i just want to be assured that is is generally safe and I don't have the risk of getting stabbed or robber coming home late at night from work or the movies.
-What are the people like there ? Demographics ? Are they rude ? Educated ?
-Last, what is the weather like ? Snow often ? What are summers like ? Is it humid there ?

If there is anything else you feel like you should share, feel free to ! We are in our early 20's just in case you needed that information to help answer any questions.

Sorry if that is a lot of questions, but we truly do appreciate anyone who would take the time to help us with all of our issues. Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 PM

17,674 posts, read 29,589,839 times
1. $900-1100. You make me laugh.
2. It snows 7 months a year in Denver.
3. Is safe.
4. Everyone smokes dope all the time.

All of above may be true or not.
A few hours of research on this forum will provide more data.
Start reading.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 7,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. $900-1100. You make me laugh.
2. It snows 7 months a year in Denver.
3. Is safe.
4. Everyone smokes dope all the time.

All of above may be true or not.
A few hours of research on this forum will provide more data.
Start reading.

Thanks for the most unhelpful response ever.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,195,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreateee View Post
-We want to live somewhere where we do not need a car, and would be able to walk, bus, bike, etc. to. So would we be able to do that living downtown? We definitely would want to be able to easily walk or bus to the nearest grocery store or CVS or Walmart type place.
Downtown is actually not particularly walkable for day to day life. The biggest shortcoming is lack of a grocery store although that will be changing in the next year or two.

The best neighborhoods that meet your criteria would be cherry creek north (two grocery stores, a mall and tons of restaurants) and capitol hill (also two grocery stores, lots of bars, less upscale)

However your budget will be tight. You could probably find a small one bedroom in cap hill.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 PM

16 posts, read 19,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Downtown is actually not particularly walkable for day to day life. The biggest shortcoming is lack of a grocery store although that will be changing in the next year or two.

The best neighborhoods that meet your criteria would be cherry creek north (two grocery stores, a mall and tons of restaurants) and capitol hill (also two grocery stores, lots of bars, less upscale)

However your budget will be tight. You could probably find a small one bedroom in cap hill.
Agree with Woob on this. I live in the Lower Highland, near 15th and Central. Love the neighborhood, walkable in all aspects except the grocery store. Some people will point to the Natural Grocers on 15th and Platte, but it is expensive and very limited in selection. You should also consider LoHi or Highland. I do know a few people who were able to get 1BD for around $1K in the ballpark area of the LoDo.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:18 AM

975 posts, read 1,317,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

It's funny that downtown will join this two-grocery criteria in the next 3 years or so. King Soopers will open up a store next year behind Union Station and another grocer *cough* Whole Foods *cough* will also go up on block south of the new King Soopers.

Now if only central Denver could get a Costco...

For the original poster, Capitol Hill would be your best bet as it meets the criteria that you are looking for. It's also a quick bus trip to access all of the entertainment amenities downtown.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM

26,648 posts, read 13,606,872 times
Based on what you are looking for, downtown does not sound like your best bet. You want good public transport, a walkable area with grocery stores as well as chains like Walmart, movie theatres and a good mall and you have a budget that tops out at $1100 per month. I think that staying on a light rail line in a more affordable yet walkable area would make more sense. It sounds like you are looking for suburban as well as urban.

Baker seems to fit all of your requirements (not sure about budget). There is a major grocery store as well as a K-Mart. Its very walkable and lively with a lot of nightlife. The Mayan movie theater is in the neighborhood. It has good bus and light rail.

Old Englewood is another option. It has a couple of major grocery chains in the older section as well as a Walmart. It has a walkable downtown and nightlife ( live music venues, nano brewery) but is not as lively as Baker or downtown Denver. I think you could find something in this area in your budget.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,487,575 times
I'd say either Cap Hill or South Broadway (near Alameda) are doable. You won't be getting a posh 1BR for $1100 but you could probably find something decent. You might also look in the RINO area north of Broadway like the other poster said. I know there were deals there a couple of years ago but since it has become "the" hipster neighborhood it may be more difficult. It's a great location.

You aren't going to find any malls or big box stores near downtown but south Broadway has a Walmart and a KMart. The closest mall is Cherry Creek but the area near it is pretty expensive but there is a great bike path from downtown to there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver