Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what are the job prospects like for someone living out of state. I'll soon be graduating with a double major in economics and political science (thinking about law school though). I get free airlines flights so I can fly in anytime for an interview. I also have an old friend that lives in Lakewood, so what would happen if I just used her address? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 01:55 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,582 times
Why would you want to start off your resume with a lie? Job prospects are totally based on career field (Oil and Gas, medical, service industry) are good. However, you are competing no only with those from DU, CU, CSU, UNC, et al., who want to stay here, but also other like yourself who want to move here.

However, one false statement on your resume and you'll have problems. I know of a law firm that advertised for a legal assistant and had over 100 resumes. Denver businesses don't need applicants.

You may want to contact a recruiter. Or, you could just move here and live in your friend's house and work as a waiter while looking for meaningful employment. Many who just have to live here are doing that.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Why would you want to start off your resume with a lie? Job prospects are totally based on career field (Oil and Gas, medical, service industry) are good. However, you are competing no only with those from DU, CU, CSU, UNC, et al., who want to stay here, but also other like yourself who want to move here.

However, one false statement on your resume and you'll have problems. I know of a law firm that advertised for a legal assistant and had over 100 resumes. Denver businesses don't need applicants.

You may want to contact a recruiter. Or, you could just move here and live in your friend's house and work as a waiter while looking for meaningful employment. Many who just have to live here are doing that.
That is what I meant by using her address. If I say I have a place to stay when hired, I could stay there until finding a place to move to permanently, or live in one of those weekly hotel places. Was just thinking that if employers know I have a place to live already, they would be more likely to hire me over someone who does not have any type of living arrangements setup. Want to pass on the waiter, fast food, customer service retail jobs. I've had enough of that since high school. Seeing if there are other ways.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Move here and use her address. Employers are flooded with out-of-state resumes. I know of several hiring managers who throw out of state resumes in the garbage. Saying you have a place to live if you're hired does not gain extra points unless you're some freak of nature with a 180 IQ and an overall rocket scientist being wooed by every major Fortune 500 corporation and some place in the Denver metro area is begging for a person such as yourself.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Wow, crazy to see Denver like that. The secret is out. For such a small metro area, the demand is through the roof. Almost wish I was born five years earlier. Hopefully it all works out. Thinking I'll apply for CU law school this October as well (GPA isn't as high as the average GPA for CU law because of my first year in school and having to bring it up, but did make two As in a professor's course who went there and said she would write a letter or recommendation if I wanted one). Need to move away from Texas and to a place that better fits me. I honestly can't wait and hope one of the avenues I take work out. One question though, how fast is Denver constructing apartments and new housing and how long do you all expect this shortage to last?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Thinking I'll apply for CU law school this October as well.
Apply to DU too.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
My sister, who currently lives out of state, just got a job at a Denver company and will be moving her. She used her own address on her resume, but in her cover letter advised that she had living arrangements in place already (she'll be moving in with me.) The company told her in the interview that normally they would have passed on her resume just because it was out-of-state, but the mention of having arrangements in Denver already made them look at it, and they wound up hiring her.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 AM

As another poster mentioned, also apply to DU law school, but you better have a nice nest egg. The costs are absurd. I did my masters degree at DU in 1996 - 1998 and back then that was $17,000. Glad my company payed for it. I then did law school out of state right after and immediately returned. It was easier to get an attorney position back then. Now I've heard of out-of-state attorneys who want to move here and are applying for paralegal jobs and the "document production" type work having to answer to junior attorneys who don't know **** from shinola and would get lost trying to find the courthouse. Nothing more than little associates who claim they're hot shot trial lawyers.

Latest stats I read show that 85% of DU and CU law school grads want to stay in Colorado and that combined with others who want to move here from out of state make it a tough legal market for new attorneys.

In applying to CU Law School, try to get letters of reference from attys who graduated from there. I have an intern working in my office who graduates from CU undergrad in December and is applying to both DU and CU Law Schools and believes that even she will have a difficult time getting into CU because the demand is for seats is so intense. However, I've heard that CU Law School will take more out of state applicants so they can charge them the higher tuition. So, therefore, it may be best to keep your out of state address when applying to CU. DU Law School could care less about where you live since everyone has to pay the ridiculous price of $40,000 per year. I didn't pay that for 3 years of law school.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:06 PM

254 posts, read 513,346 times
Another option to consider: get a job at DU and let them pay for your schooling. The part-time program is a 5-year program. Check out http://www.du.edu/human-resources/me...ices_guide.pdf for details.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 PM

64 posts, read 67,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Just wondering what are the job prospects like for someone living out of state. I'll soon be graduating with a double major in economics and political science (thinking about law school though). I get free airlines flights so I can fly in anytime for an interview. I also have an old friend that lives in Lakewood, so what would happen if I just used her address? Thanks.

LOL can I use her address too? I've been using an extended stay address which is actually true...and you know I was a poly sci major and an attorney, I suggest a STEM occupation but allow me to digress and ask if you have found any job prospects since earlier this month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: