Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:08 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,211,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
2Q, what should people add to the sign to say "**** off, I'm not interested in buying your crap or your religion"?

I think no solicitation works, because they are still attempting to sell something. The churches still run on donations. However, I'm more interested in having a sign that works than in claiming mine should work and dealing with the consequences when it doesn't. Shy of having a sign that says "[expletive] you", how does someone indicate that they do not want missionaries to knock on their door?
I do think they are soliciting under the legal definition, but perhaps a "No Trespassing" sign would do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 12:10 PM

26,171 posts, read 48,888,485 times
I've seen homes with "no proselytizing" signs, here are examples.

My neighbor never answers the door for anyone unless they've called first.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:46 PM

8,602 posts, read 14,823,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
OP, I presume you live in Stapleton? Me too. I just don't answer the door if the bell rings. Period. I wait a minute or two, and if it's a delivery, I bring it inside.

Nobody respects the "No soliciting" signs. They are pointless. Civility in that regard, as in most regards, is out the window these days.
Nope. We're next-door to Southlands. Their complex is near Smoky Hill and Arapahoe.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 PM

5,846 posts, read 6,149,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Nope. We're next-door to Southlands. Their complex is near Smoky Hill and Arapahoe.
Those folks from Kingdom Hall get around. Of course, that's kind of their point I guess.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,164,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
OP, I presume you live in Stapleton? Me too. I just don't answer the door if the bell rings. Period. I wait a minute or two, and if it's a delivery, I bring it inside.

Nobody respects the "No soliciting" signs. They are pointless. Civility in that regard, as in most regards, is out the window these days.
I live in Stapleton and ever since they opened the street to that JW hall, they're on our neighborhood like stink on a monkey! I just don't understand why they waste their time. I'd be willing to bet they'll never recruit one person in Stapleton to their cult. On our block, we will e-mail one another if we see them wandering around so everyone knows not to answer the door.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,164,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
We went out there last weekend to check out model homes (not moving, just like to see the models) and we saw the compound you're talking about. And I immediately wondered if they bug everyone around there lol!

So do they mostly live around there? I wouldn't imagine they'd make very fun neighbors. The only JWs I ever know made a big deal about not celebrating anything. I'm guessing a backyard barbeque with beer would be out for them.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 AM

8,602 posts, read 14,823,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We went out there last weekend to check out model homes (not moving, just like to see the models) and we saw the compound you're talking about. And I immediately wondered if they bug everyone around there lol!

So do they mostly live around there? I wouldn't imagine they'd make very fun neighbors. The only JWs I ever know made a big deal about not celebrating anything. I'm guessing a backyard barbeque with beer would be out for them.
Yeah they bug the hell out of us (no pun intended). Not sure if they live around here or not. My guess is they come from all over this side of the metro area and we're just "getting the good news" a lot because of proximity.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 AM

838 posts, read 764,011 times
Both 'Bluescreen73', and, 'Denverian' call the place a 'compound . . . however, the definition of a compound is: "an enclosed area where a particular group of people live".

What it actually is, is an *Assembly Hall* of Jehovah's Witnesses . . . where *groups of congregations* in the area --or from nearby areas-- meet together two weekends per year . . . to receive Bible instruction and encourage one another. (Several of the elders from the various congregations give talks, and, both sisters & brothers share encouraging experiences from their ministries.) Usually no more than 2 to 4 JWs actually live at such structures. However, sometimes they do join together to go out in the ministry together, as a part of the activities.

'Christinerica' said:
"The 'spreading of the Word' has been done to death..."

The truths of Bible teachings have not been spread by the churches,
and, Jehovah's Witnesses are presently finding sincere interest all over the world.

In 2013 alone, in 239 countries, Jehovah's Witnesses were conducting over 9.25 million free & personal Bible studies with newly interested persons. At the annual Memorial of Christ’s death, the total attendence was over 19 million, including just under 8 million who were baptized Witnesses. In other words, there were more Bible studies than there were dedicated, baptized, Jehovah's Witnesses!

'Denverian' said:
"I wouldn't imagine they'd make very fun neighbors. The only JWs I ever know made a big deal about not celebrating anything. I'm guessing a backyard barbeque with beer would be out for them."

Jehovah's Witnesses don't have anything against having gatherings just to enjoy each other's company. They celebrate anniversaries, and births, and just get together for the sake of encouraging each other via social interaction. It is celebrations that are tied to pagan origins, and/or unscriptural practices, which they reject. . . . Also, they hold that the moderate use of alcohol is not prohibited in the Bible . . . immoderate use of it is.

'zenkonami' said: "I do think they are soliciting under the legal definition."
I won't repeat what 'lurtsman' said, however, in response to both I respond by saying . . .

Jehovah's Witnesses do not solicit donations from outsiders.
Nor do they 'pass a plate' at their meetings.
(A box on the wall is for anonymous, voluntary, donations.)

They mostly support themselves and their own ministries. None are payed for their teaching efforts. Fellow JWs voluntarily support the needs of some who volunteer to work 'full time' in the ministry . . . they get no fringes for doing so . . . simple food, clothing, shelter, transportation expenses. They are so busy teaching others that there is no time for a job of any kind, so those who can afford to donate towards their sincere efforts. Not just anyone qualifies for this. Again, this is not required---It is voluntary.

The goal of Jehovah's Witnesses it to educate, and to help those who want to join them in learning about & following the requirements of our Creator. No one's 'arm is twisted' to study or attend meetings. Invitations are given . . . not orders or threats.

If & when a person who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses decides to make a donation, that is their decision. None of Jehovah's Witnesses try to influence anyone to do so. It is gratefully accepted *unless* it is known that it was obtained by the person through unscriptural means, or, they themselves need to use it for those they are responsible for.

They expose the church practice of tithing as unscriptural, rather than practicing it.
They have no clergy class, and not one is paid for giving talks or for counseling.

This article shows how their worldwide work is actually financed:
"How is the Work of Jehovah's Witnesses Financed?"

For those who are interested, I found some information about the building of the Aurora Assembly Hall that is quite interesting . . . it is the 1st comment that I am referring to, found here:
Assembly Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Aurora, Co - Jehovah's Witnesses News

Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,838,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This. I rarely answer the door. I have a peep hole installed in my door. If someone rings the bell and it's no one I know or am expecting (this would include delivery people), I simply don't answer it - same as the phone with unknown numbers. There is no law require us to answer either of these. If it's important they will leave a message or a note.
Great advice, just had that 202 area code on my caller ID and a person left a message that he was from the IRS. New scam going around. The message he left said to call right away don't disregard; yeah, right. If you call back or happen to answer he says you owe IRS from back years................don't respond.....all a scam.

In these crazy times, it's too bad, but we need to be really careful about people that come to our door (not invited) or call on the phone.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,587,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Both 'Bluescreen73', and, 'Denverian' call the place a 'compound . . . however, the definition of a compound is: "an enclosed area where a particular group of people live".

What it actually is, is an *Assembly Hall* of Jehovah's Witnesses . . . where *groups of congregations* in the area --or from nearby areas-- meet together two weekends per year . . . to receive Bible instruction and encourage one another. (Several of the elders from the various congregations give talks, and, both sisters & brothers share encouraging experiences from their ministries.) Usually no more than 2 to 4 JWs actually live at such structures. However, sometimes they do join together to go out in the ministry together, as a part of the activities.

'Christinerica' said:
"The 'spreading of the Word' has been done to death..."

The truths of Bible teachings have not been spread by the churches,
and, Jehovah's Witnesses are presently finding sincere interest all over the world.

In 2013 alone, in 239 countries, Jehovah's Witnesses were conducting over 9.25 million free & personal Bible studies with newly interested persons. At the annual Memorial of Christ’s death, the total attendence was over 19 million, including just under 8 million who were baptized Witnesses. In other words, there were more Bible studies than there were dedicated, baptized, Jehovah's Witnesses!

'Denverian' said:
"I wouldn't imagine they'd make very fun neighbors. The only JWs I ever know made a big deal about not celebrating anything. I'm guessing a backyard barbeque with beer would be out for them."

Jehovah's Witnesses don't have anything against having gatherings just to enjoy each other's company. They celebrate anniversaries, and births, and just get together for the sake of encouraging each other via social interaction. It is celebrations that are tied to pagan origins, and/or unscriptural practices, which they reject. . . . Also, they hold that the moderate use of alcohol is not prohibited in the Bible . . . immoderate use of it is.

'zenkonami' said: "I do think they are soliciting under the legal definition."
I won't repeat what 'lurtsman' said, however, in response to both I respond by saying . . .

Jehovah's Witnesses do not solicit donations from outsiders.
Nor do they 'pass a plate' at their meetings.
(A box on the wall is for anonymous, voluntary, donations.)

They mostly support themselves and their own ministries. None are payed for their teaching efforts. Fellow JWs voluntarily support the needs of some who volunteer to work 'full time' in the ministry . . . they get no fringes for doing so . . . simple food, clothing, shelter, transportation expenses. They are so busy teaching others that there is no time for a job of any kind, so those who can afford to donate towards their sincere efforts. Not just anyone qualifies for this. Again, this is not required---It is voluntary.

The goal of Jehovah's Witnesses it to educate, and to help those who want to join them in learning about & following the requirements of our Creator. No one's 'arm is twisted' to study or attend meetings. Invitations are given . . . not orders or threats.

If & when a person who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses decides to make a donation, that is their decision. None of Jehovah's Witnesses try to influence anyone to do so. It is gratefully accepted *unless* it is known that it was obtained by the person through unscriptural means, or, they themselves need to use it for those they are responsible for.

They expose the church practice of tithing as unscriptural, rather than practicing it.
They have no clergy class, and not one is paid for giving talks or for counseling.

This article shows how their worldwide work is actually financed:
"How is the Work of Jehovah's Witnesses Financed?"

For those who are interested, I found some information about the building of the Aurora Assembly Hall that is quite interesting . . . it is the 1st comment that I am referring to, found here:
Assembly Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Aurora, Co - Jehovah's Witnesses News
I still call it a compound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver