Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM

304 posts, read 341,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I think this happens to most cities that are growing fast. I feel like they're trying hard to accomodate the growth with constant road construction, but it's simply not quick enough.
Denver is now one of those cities that will never be able to keep up with its own population increase. It's been that way for the last 20 years, at least. The t-rex project was something that should have been done in the late 80's or early 90's. I'm glad I only have to go twice a month. Now just to get the Springs-Denver mess fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:57 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,203,481 times
It's a shame we don't have a solid public transportation system in this city where you could bypass many of those rush hour hurdles.

Remember, if you are driving in it, and it is bad, you are probably part of the problem

Cue complaints about Denver's public transit system in 3...2...1...

Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 AM

182 posts, read 327,084 times
I was just back to Denver last week (moved to SD 2 years ago) and I felt like I was sitting in CA traffic but with 2 lanes instead of 8 on C-470! I-25 was quite busy as well during the middle of the day on a weekday.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,111,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
I was just back to Denver last week (moved to SD 2 years ago) and I felt like I was sitting in CA traffic but with 2 lanes instead of 8 on C-470! I-25 was quite busy as well during the middle of the day on a weekday.
Yeah, it just makes NO SENSE that there are still freeways around Denver with only 2 lanes in each direction. 470, 76, 270... all should have been widened years ago.

At least the 225 construction is supposed to end next month. But why did it take 2.5 YEARS to widen what, a 3 mile stretch of freeway? CDOT is so incredibly slow. I swear CalTrans could do the same work in half the time. And the 70 reconstruction project is supposed to take something like 5 years.

CDOT needs to hire new engineers, IMO. They're too slow, too late, and seem to purposely build bottlenecks. Like at the southen end of the 225 where you end up going from 4 lanes down to 2 lanes right at DTC Blvd. for a very short distance, then back to 3 lanes before you merge onto the 25 north or south. Add one more lane right there and it would probably solve the majority of the daily crawl from Parker Rd. on down.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM

6,360 posts, read 11,811,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, it just makes NO SENSE that there are still freeways around Denver with only 2 lanes in each direction. 470, 76, 270... all should have been widened years ago.

At least the 225 construction is supposed to end next month. But why did it take 2.5 YEARS to widen what, a 3 mile stretch of freeway? CDOT is so incredibly slow. I swear CalTrans could do the same work in half the time. And the 70 reconstruction project is supposed to take something like 5 years.

CDOT needs to hire new engineers, IMO. They're too slow, too late, and seem to purposely build bottlenecks. Like at the southen end of the 225 where you end up going from 4 lanes down to 2 lanes right at DTC Blvd. for a very short distance, then back to 3 lanes before you merge onto the 25 north or south. Add one more lane right there and it would probably solve the majority of the daily crawl from Parker Rd. on down.
If you dedicate enough money to these things they happen and happen quick. There just isn't enough money to do anything, especially with a gas tax that doesn't increase with inflation and a population which mostly hates the idea of toll lanes.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If you dedicate enough money to these things they happen and happen quick. There just isn't enough money to do anything, especially with a gas tax that doesn't increase with inflation and a population which mostly hates the idea of toll lanes.
I'd personally prefer they raise the gas tax and stop it with the toll roads. They're going to add toll lanes to the 70, which means the few who can afford it will bypass traffic.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I'd personally prefer they raise the gas tax and stop it with the toll roads. They're going to add toll lanes to the 70, which means the few who can afford it will bypass traffic.
I think toll lanes are better than no lanes. Only way they can pay for it is to have those with the money pay for it, which is about the best solution there. I'll leave the equality arguments to others.

If 90% of the day there is an extra lane which helps relieve congestion and gives some incentive to carpool, why get caught up whining about how the BMW gets to drive by because the driver is willing to pay $5 or whatever to speed on by?

Old 08-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I think toll lanes are better than no lanes. Only way they can pay for it is to have those with the money pay for it, which is about the best solution there. I'll leave the equality arguments to others.

If 90% of the day there is an extra lane which helps relieve congestion and gives some incentive to carpool, why get caught up whining about how the BMW gets to drive by because the driver is willing to pay $5 or whatever to speed on by?
I'm not so much against tolls, but against OUTRAGEOUS tolls. To drive around E470 is something like $8 for about 15 min. of driving.

My other gripe for the 70 reconstruction is that it appears the only way to use it is if you're coming from the airport and going downtown. I'm pretty sure there won't be multiple entries into the lanes, like Colorado Blvd., Quebec, Central Park, Peoria. So I may not even have an option to use them.

Just looking at the reversible toll lanes on I-25, they seem to be very underutilized. Again, price combined with lack of entrances/exits makes them useless to most people.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not so much against tolls, but against OUTRAGEOUS tolls. To drive around E470 is something like $8 for about 15 min. of driving.

My other gripe for the 70 reconstruction is that it appears the only way to use it is if you're coming from the airport and going downtown. I'm pretty sure there won't be multiple entries into the lanes, like Colorado Blvd., Quebec, Central Park, Peoria. So I may not even have an option to use them.

Just looking at the reversible toll lanes on I-25, they seem to be very underutilized. Again, price combined with lack of entrances/exits makes them useless to most people.
I never use E470 for the same reason. I doubt the tolls will be like that when the free option is right next to it. It probably is priced like the Express lanes with premium pricing during rush hour. Or more specifically like California's toll lanes where prices change as traffic builds.

I have a lawyer friend who uses the Express lanes every day. I asked him why not wait 3 minutes to save on the toll, he said I don't even notice how much I pay since it comes off the transponder and it automatically recharges. He even gets on them when it 50 cents and there is no traffic around. He literally does not care. Since most voters don't even want to pay a couple cents more per gallon of gas, aren't people like this a godsend for our road funding woes?

Old 08-12-2014, 04:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,414,371 times
I visited Denver again a couple of years ago. There wasn't too much construction at the time but I was detoured off the Interstate at one point for what reason I still don't know. My family cautioned me about driving Downtown and on the freeways on a Friday and Saturday. LOL...

I have some nice pictures of the Denver skyline with the Rockies as the back drop and Mile High Stadium I took while driving (something I would never attempt in Atlanta unless I was feeling suicidal maybe)

In Atlanta most drivers drive as fast as their car allows every chance they get. Much slower and more laid back in Denver.

I would much rather drive in Denver or Atlanta however, than the Virginia Beach -Hampton Roads area.

They may drive like a bat outta hell in Atlanta but atleast in most places they have highways built for this (lots and lots of lanes). They drive just as fast or faster in Virgina on narrow winding roads, lots of crazy bridges and tunnels and crazy splits and exits (Can you imagine if the Mousetrap covered the entire city?).

And atleast I can easily make sense of the Denver and Atlanta Highway system which are pretty much wheel and spoke type but Virginia Beach's Highway Map looks like somebody randomly threw spaghetti at a wall and let it stick. And yet you need to know every exit well ahead of time because the drivers are not going to slow down and let you read signs or allow you to move over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver