Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
This whole thread is incredibly racist!1

What if a white man had put a post on the Miami board asking if he would be accepted and welcome and if there were things for white people in Miami (which is majority Hispanic) or done the same thing on the Baltimore, Atlanta or Memphis boards (African American dominated towns).

In the new America why would a white majority impact an African American from moving to a major American City?
In my opinion, if such question were posed, that would make said "white man" a citizen in "new America" who wants to make an informed decision. And would definitely NOT make him a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
This whole thread is incredibly racist!1

What if a white man had put a post on the Miami board asking if he would be accepted and welcome and if there were things for white people in Miami (which is majority Hispanic) or done the same thing on the Baltimore, Atlanta or Memphis boards (African American dominated towns).

In the new America why would a white majority impact an African American from moving to a major American City?

not everything about race is racist. being in the minority means that race impacts your life.

memphis, atlanta, miami may be an african american/hispanic dominated cities, but they are in states with a white majority in a country with whites as the largest group. that is very different from being in the minority in the city, state, country.

colorado has 3.5% blacks. this country has a history of being not so friendly to blacks. each state has its own black experiences, each city/town, etc. the way to know that is to talk to other blacks and find out. as a black person, to not know that can be a big mistake, even possibly life-threatening.

we do not have the luxury of just assuming that a town or city is friendly, welcoming, and comfortable, as well as a great place to raise kids.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
When I toured around Colorado a few weeks ago my husband and I made a comment about how few African Americans we saw, especially in Vail and Aspen where we saw none at all. In Downtown Denver we saw maybe one in twenty. It is not Atlanta or Memphis for sure.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,828 times
wow theres alot of marylanders out here, i just moved to denver less than a week ago from bmore city.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ben, hello. What a small world, I grew up in Baltimore, west side, in that Arbutus, Relay, Halethorpe area. Went to Catonsville HS, class of '66. Have been to Ellicott City many times. Will be back there soon to visit family and get some crabcakes.....

And yes, the people here are wonderful. My hometown isn't so nice anymore, and it is truly a shame.

s/Mike
this is a whole new world compared to baltimore, i dont really have an opinion on denver yet, i just got here. but from whati see it looks like heaven compared to bmore city lol. i think im a love it

Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
there aren't very many, so you might get lonely. i live in the suburbs near highlands ranch, where i think i saw a black person one time.
Haha, sad but true. In my graduating Highlands Ranch High School class we had about 550 students and one was black.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM

9 posts, read 16,549 times
Default Denver vs Phoenix

Is there anyone out there who might be able to make a comparison of their experience living in the Phoenix metro area vs Denver as an African-American? Are the diversity challenges/lack of black culeture similar or does Denver have more to offer?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 PM

25 posts, read 61,085 times
165,000 of us in the whole state...

Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
I can't speak for Phoenix, but there are a lot of blacks where I work and the culture is virtually colorless. Honestly, it's probably the best you'll find in the whole country.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 AM

25 posts, read 61,085 times
Default Wow

I need to go jetsetting to your job, so I can see this colorless culture. Is it like bacterial meningitis or Anthrax??? I need some vicks vapor rub after that comment cause you know you can't smell black people in the air...

Sorry, I don't understand how your place of employment can have a virtually colorless culture? Are you saying there is no discrimination in the workplace or are you saying black people act like president Obama and Tiger Woods?

This is not an attack... Just my initial thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver