Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 24,935 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to Denver from Baltimore,MD and curious about diversity in Denver. Is anyone aware of how many Blacks ( or other minorities) currenty live in around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,570 times
The Denver metro area is rather large, so it really depends on which area you are looking at. I'm sure there are websites out there with statistics like that.

With that said, though, that is hardly something that I would use as a criteria for a place to live.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:29 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Default The demographic data you seek...

....is already here on city-data. See: //www.city-data.com/city/Denver-Colorado.html

I've heard nothing about racial problems in Denver, though there are bound to be un-enlightened people anywhere.

Here in Colorado Springs, I don't hear anyone talking in racist terms and the city seems pretty cool.

s/Mike

Old 11-03-2006, 03:18 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,331 times
As Mike said, check out the city-data stuff.

However, I have lived in Denver and it's pretty diversified. That being said, Not a huge population of blacks live there. Nor here in C Springs or many other places of Colorado.

Granted we do have the military in C Springs so our relative population of darker skinned folks (hope that's okay) is possibly higher.

With that said. Colorado has a large population of hispanics and oddly Japanese. People may think that we are a bunch of white folk in the western states but over all, we have a pretty diverse population.

Seeing as we come from all parts of the world, Colorado is pretty accepting of all nationalities and all colors.

Denver's hispanic population is higher than ours in C springs but the African/American population is lower EXCEPT for the military population down here which doesn't count in census reports. But a respectable amount of black americans (god I feel weird saying that) live in Denver and are a good group of people for the most part.

BTW, for a little bit of trivia, one of the first police officers in Colorado Springs (yeah you want Denver but I don't have that book) was a black man. The west was a great place for blacks to come to to avoid the problems with the south, the Civil War and find a life for themselves. Many blacks have even been photographed in the old west photos as cowboys here.

Colorado is a good place as long as you are a good person. Black, white, hispanic, Asian, green (speaking of liberals hehe). hehe Obviously that last one was thrown in there. But yeah, all you need is to be a good person and people will embrace you no matter your race.

BTW, I have some friends from the Maryland area. You will be sadly disappointed with the seafood here. A lobster doesn't care what color you are but when it's flown from the coasts, you will not be happy. Get to know some of the local foods like buffalo and even, get this, ostrich. Seems odd but it's good stuff.

Probably didn't help much but welcome to CO if you come. We are a diverse people here and us "natives" (born and raised) are more than happy to welcome new people to our state.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:24 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,570 times
Of course, his/her question can be taken two ways. Wanting diversity or not wanting diversity.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 AM

226 posts, read 1,369,560 times
We moved here from Ellicott City Maryland about 4 years ago and one of the first things we noticed was how much nicer all of the people are in Colorado. In Baltimore there was a noticeable amount of racial tension in several communities. I have not seen any of that here. All of the various races and demographics get along quite well out here. Regardless of your race and/or motivations for the subject of your post you will see a very significant change for the better between Baltimore and Colorado.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:20 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWolfe View Post
We moved here from Ellicott City Maryland about 4 years ago and one of the first things we noticed was how much nicer all of the people are in Colorado.....
Ben, hello. What a small world, I grew up in Baltimore, west side, in that Arbutus, Relay, Halethorpe area. Went to Catonsville HS, class of '66. Have been to Ellicott City many times. Will be back there soon to visit family and get some crabcakes.....

And yes, the people here are wonderful. My hometown isn't so nice anymore, and it is truly a shame.

s/Mike

Old 11-04-2006, 05:55 PM

226 posts, read 1,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ben, hello. What a small world, I grew up in Baltimore, west side, in that Arbutus, Relay, Halethorpe area. Went to Catonsville HS, class of '66. Have been to Ellicott City many times. Will be back there soon to visit family and get some crabcakes.....

And yes, the people here are wonderful. My hometown isn't so nice anymore, and it is truly a shame.

s/Mike
We were in a little neighborhood called Woodcrest just across 108 from Columbia. If the people in Baltimore and DC were half as nice as they are here we may not have left.

Do you think they will let you take a bushel of live crabs on the plane with you? I am dying for some steamed crabs. We used to go over to Kent Island at least a couple of time a month for all you can eat crabs. After not having them for 4 years I am still going through withdraw.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM

21 posts, read 156,561 times
Well, I think I'm supposed to be bringing the crabs when I come for 2bindenver and Mike, and you will have to join us Ben. We're coming from the Annapolis area but are quite familiar with Ellicott City and Columbia. Have to agree with you about the friendliness factor! I think people are so stressed from traffic and long commuting and the high cost of living, that they just don't take the time to enjoy their neighbors and communities anymore.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:03 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,427,778 times
MDMomma, when is our dinner date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver