Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 255,465 times

Advertisements

I recently moved down to the US from Ottawa, Canada and am considering Denver as my eventual destination (I'm currently in Los Angeles). In Ottawa, when the weather was nice enough to be outside, the problem was the BUGS! Tons of mosquitos and those annoying tiny little flies that buzz around your head and go in your eyes and ears. There were so many in the spring that you practically couldn't go outside. What's the bug situation in Colorado? I'm assuming there's more in the bush/mountains and less in the city, but how bad is it? Do people have screened porches on their homes or anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
There are VERY few here. Back in the Washington, DC area where I'm from, the mosquito's would carry you away, and there were tons of tiny gnats flying around your head too.

Here, there are so very few that it's a real pleasure. If you get around water in a low lying area, you'll get more mosquito's, but generally not. We rode horses in Chatsfield State Park, southwest of Denver, and as it's very low lying and quite wet and swampy in parts, there were a lot of bugs, but that's very localized.

My first summer here, 2005, we left the doors open in the evening while watching TV, without screens, and hardly ever saw a bug.

You'll like it here.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My first summer here, 2005, we left the doors open in the evening while watching TV, without screens, and hardly ever saw a bug.
Music to my ears...

Old 10-30-2006, 04:35 PM

7 posts, read 74,257 times
Red face Hi

I would have to agree witht he no bugs in the Denver advice. While looking at purchasing a home just south of Denver, non of the homes have screens on their windows and I asked why. I was told that there are no bugs to block out. The only thing to worry about is spiders as I have been told many times. I'm sure that others that have lived there longer may know better.

My husband lived in Fort Collins (north of Denver) when he went to college, he said that the only bugs he saw were mosquitos in the summer, but very few.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portican View Post
The only thing to worry about is spiders as I have been told many times.
Oh really? I hadn't heard anything about spiders yet. What's the deal? Are there dangerous species found in Denver?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:27 PM

11 posts, read 79,873 times
Default bugs that can kill

We just came back from Colorado, flew, and drove all over, there ARE A LOT OF SWAMPS, or pools of stagnant water, seems the ground is hard, so check out this link on the infected human cases of the West Nile for 2006 so far, seems Colorado is in the lead. Do your homework first. Also check out the Radon site too>

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/west...trol06Maps.htm

http://www.epa.gov/radon/

lung cancer without smoking, maybe why so many Colorado people are so skinny??

info you should know, as the real estate agents won't tell you,

Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
http://diseasemaps.usgs.gov/wnv_co_human.html

Catching WNV isn't fatal.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:38 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
Life long resident of Colorado (except for a month an a half in Louisiana -- that sucked)...

Bugs are not a problem here at all.

Let's see. I have live in Grand Junction - lots of mosquitos because of the canals. I have live in Denver - Mosquitoes, okay, I lived off one of the greenbelts up there. I live back in C springs again, flies are the biggest bugger of them all.

But I have never had a problem with bugs. I remember a few nights in Denver when my biggest concern (a good one) was a couple of owls that came through our 'hood. They apparently lived in one of the barns north of me in the wealthier areas but came down to hunt in our hood. It was the most incredible thing I ever saw. One of the owls had only one eye. But their "conversations" between each other...was most incredible.

As long as you don't leave water standing in your area, you are good to go. Colorado is actually one of the healthiest places to live. Fewer people, fewer animals and much less humidity which is a huge reason for bugs and illness.

It's kinda nice here. Love it, born here, wont leave it.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:41 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
I forgot. The MOTHS in early summer. Your biggest problem with bugs. Moths.

They leave Nebraska and Kansas for the flight to mate in the mountains but none, so far, will bite you and give you a disease.

The last few years have been tame but really, they are the most annoying creatures you will have confront you in CO unless you go the to mountains.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 90,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_F View Post
I recently moved down to the US from Ottawa, Canada and am considering Denver as my eventual destination (I'm currently in Los Angeles). In Ottawa, when the weather was nice enough to be outside, the problem was the BUGS! Tons of mosquitos and those annoying tiny little flies that buzz around your head and go in your eyes and ears. There were so many in the spring that you practically couldn't go outside. What's the bug situation in Colorado? I'm assuming there's more in the bush/mountains and less in the city, but how bad is it? Do people have screened porches on their homes or anything like that?

I'm from Toronto Ontario and have been living in Aurora Colorado for 4 years. I have a fly swatter. I've used it twice in those 4 years and haven't seen a mosquito. The climate is so dry there is little to encourage the nasty pests that are associated with humid climates. Colorado is definitely a piece of paradise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado