Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,255 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just bought a 1994 Honda Civic VX. I need to get it registered, plates, etc., so I may start driving it legally.

I just had a few questions about getting it registered and the emissions testing.

I'm originally from Michigan where there are no emissions. The Honda currently has a check engine light, and a slight oil leak around the head gasket. Nothing drips underneath the car.

The cylinder compression in all 4 cylinders are believed to be slightly low. Will the emissions testing actually test for compression? I actually hope they do, because I want to find out and a shop will charge 150 dollars, while emissions is only 25 dollars.

Am I better off driving to a city in Colorado that doesn't require emissions to register the car? If so, where can I find one?

Also, is there any way of transferring my current Michigan plate and tags to my Civic? I'm still using Michigan insurance on my current car, and I never get pulled over, so I'm not really worried.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
If you live in a metropolitan county, you have to do emissions. Going to another office doesn't negate that fact.

Might as well get your insurance and license moved over while you're at it.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 PM

So you're saying, I can't drive my car to another city outside of Denver that doesn't require emissions and register it?

I already have my Driver's license moved over. My city of residence just says Denver.

Also, do you know if emissions will test my engine compression?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwayney View Post
So you're saying, I can't drive my car to another city outside of Denver that doesn't require emissions and register it?

I already have my Driver's license moved over. My city of residence just says Denver.

Also, do you know if emissions will test my engine compression?
No clue about the engine compression test, I think I've only done emissions once or twice.

Yes, I'm saying, you can drive out to Burlington or Lamar to register your car, and you will still have to do emissions. Doing emissions is based on where YOU live, not what office you register the car at.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Well, that's unfortunate.

I was reading others say that they would travel to other cities that didn't require emissions testing and register their cars , even if they resided in Denver. Hmmph.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Where did you buy the car? If you bought it in Colorado, it's the seller's responsibility to have an emissions test (and pass it) and provide the paperwork to a buyer when selling a used car.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:24 AM

I could see that being done if they have a non-metro county address they can use.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
My cars live at 'boarding school'

non-metro county address

Disclaimer.. I no longer live in Colorado, but when I DID... they lived in Weld County. Like in Hereford, Stoneham, or Briggsdale.

I only do this because of the trouble and expense. I have 38 vehicles and they run on Bio-Diesel, so no detectable emissions, That becomes VERY troublesome to explain after they recalibrate their machines and STILL can not detect anything....

50 mpg since 1976... no OPEC or Dinosaurs required.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwayney View Post
Well, that's unfortunate.

I was reading others say that they would travel to other cities that didn't require emissions testing and register their cars , even if they resided in Denver. Hmmph.
It's not unfortunate if you ever saw how filthy the air was in Denver 30 years ago

And no, you cannot go register your car in another county. Car registration must be done in the county where you reside. Driver's licenses are at the state level, so you can go to any office. Car registration/plates is at the county level, so you must go to an office in the county where you live.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Also, I believe one of the checks that they do is that they look for a Check Engine Light and I believe this could cause you to fail the test.

Concerning the Check Engine Light, did you ever get it scanned to see why the CEL is on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver