Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,131,097 times

Advertisements

Our home phone number is on the CO No Call List, yet we get calls from anyone and everyone selling things/soliciting etc. I mean all.the.time. Thinking very seriously of getting rid of our land line altogether.

I have lived in lots of States and been on No Call lists, and the calls ceased almost immediately once we went on the lists. Not so here.

Anyone else have this issue? I know we can file complaints with the AG and Feds, but that is a PITA (which is probably what the telemarketers count on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,986,859 times
All of these lists are a joke anyway, there are so many exemptions for when they can still call you even if you're on the list.

https://www.coloradonocall.com/Public/Exempt.aspx

Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,990,097 times
Effectively, there is no functionality to the "do not call" lists. The marketers have found numerous ways to skirt the regs or simply ignore them. We still get a fair number of calls which are "anonymous" or a spoof phone number for a solicitation.

The only way I see to protect yourself from the annoyance is to not answer the phone if you don't recognize the caller ID.
What I do is put my phone on silent so the ringer doesn't disturb us, and if I'm around to answer the phone when I see the call coming in flashing light and look at the ID panel and I don't recognize the number ... I'll let it go into voice mail.

Folk who know me and need to visit with me will leave a voice mail so I can return the call. The spammers? very rarely and they're quick to delete from the voice mail.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,630,061 times
We got a land line after not having one for many years. The phone rang constantly. It was always solicitors. We got rid of it after just a few months. I wonder if people with land lines get hit harder with the telemarketer calls since there are fewer people to call since most people no longer have land lines? It sure seemed excessive.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Ok, so it's not just me..........good. I rarely answer the phone, but have not gone so far as to turn off the ringer yet. That's a good suggestion sunsprit, thanks.

This must be something these companies are getting more aggressive about nationally then. I distinctly recall calls stopping quickly when I lived in previous states. I remember moving from MO to FL and having the State of MO no call list send me a letter at my new address in FL telling me my No Call List membership had expired and asking if I wanted to sign up again. Now THAT was service.

If the calls aren't from solicitors, they are from collection agencies trying to reach someone who had the # before, but that's a different issue

Old 09-24-2014, 02:34 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,566,343 times
We never pick up our phone unless we recognize the numbers. It is even worse now with all the political crap going on.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:28 PM

17,681 posts, read 29,630,546 times
I get them all the time on my cell phone.
They are buttholes who ignore the law.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:33 PM

Well, crap, Dave.

I have never gotten 1 call on my cell, but it is an out of state number.........hmm.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,272,998 times
The DNC lists are ineffective as there's no enforcement by the state or FCC.

The only way to make a dent in them is to sue them. Read this: Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Google it for more info.

If you are on the DNC list and it is a telemarketing call (NOT a marketing survey or political call, which is exempt), you can sue in small claims court for $500 per call. I've done it a few times. Each time, we settled before going to court, as they don't want to go to the expense of hiring a lawyer, etc. And the calls stopped from that vendor.

The problem is many calls these days are scams trying to obtain credit card info, etc., rather than simple telemarketing calls. These fraudsters use spoofed numbers and you can't get a fix on them (and they are often not in the US). If it is a legit company calling you, string them along with feigned interest to get the company name address, etc., then you can go after them. Keep a log of the calls (time, name, etc.)

Old 09-27-2014, 12:36 AM

6,369 posts, read 11,822,634 times
Almost all the blatant violations of the DNC are from outside the country now. With VOIP its easy for a foreign call center to get a local number and canvass a region. The only businesses you might be successful going after are places that don't update the DNC regularly or get lazy and don't bother checking. Even local businesses (insurance agents and roofers are common) can claim they got a bad lead and chances are they could defend themselves in court, but its easier to settle than go to court if you show you are going to pursue it to the fullest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver