Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 12,118 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I've scoured the Denver forum and found lots of useful info pertaining to my situation, but nothing that helps me directly. Here's the deal:

I'm in my mid-twenties, just graduated from law school. I recently accepted a position with a company located in Broomfield, right near the Rocky Mtn. Metro Airport. I want to live as close to the "heart" of Denver as possible, because I have friends scattered around LoDo and the Five Points, so I want to be near them for social reasons. I'd also like walkability to bars, shops, etc. etc. - your basic, "I'm a young single guy who doesn't want to be stuck in the burbs."

However, given that my office is in Broomfield, I know commuting could/will be a big problem. I don't want to sit in traffic for an hour or more each day (who does?). So I'm trying to find a good way to compromise on each.

Friends have informed me that River North, Cherry Creek, and Cap Hill are good options for a young guy just starting his professional career. Price-wise, I'd like to keep it under $1,000/month, and based on PadMapper these areas seem do-able for that price.

So first question: Would living in Cherry Creek or Cap Hill have horrendous commutes to Broomfield? (I know RiNo will help a bit, but housing there is more limited) My driving plan would be to work my way to Colorado Blvd, follow that north to 270/36 highway, then shoot straight to work to avoid I-25 - what's the typical commute time during rush hour? And, most importantly, during poor weather? Are there better ways to get up to Broomfield?

Second question: Any other areas you all could recommend that'll give me a reasonable commute to Broomfield while still maintaing proximity to my friends in Five Points? I figure Sunnyside, Highland, or Jefferson Park could be good, but I don't know anything about these areas' appeal, safety, etc.

I hope I'm not being unreasonable, but any info would be helpful and much appreciated! I plan to stay with friends a few weeks while I tour apartments and get settled in. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Your 270/36 route is actually worse than taking I-25 north to 36. I-25 north moves northbound during the morning commute, not as many are commuting north to jobs.

Your best bet is a long commute from "happenin'" Denver, or yuppie suburbia, of which there is some in/around Broomfield.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Royal_Rocky View Post
Hello all,

So I've scoured the Denver forum and found lots of useful info pertaining to my situation, but nothing that helps me directly. Here's the deal:

I'm in my mid-twenties, just graduated from law school. I recently accepted a position with a company located in Broomfield, right near the Rocky Mtn. Metro Airport. I want to live as close to the "heart" of Denver as possible, because I have friends scattered around LoDo and the Five Points, so I want to be near them for social reasons. I'd also like walkability to bars, shops, etc. etc. - your basic, "I'm a young single guy who doesn't want to be stuck in the burbs."

However, given that my office is in Broomfield, I know commuting could/will be a big problem. I don't want to sit in traffic for an hour or more each day (who does?). So I'm trying to find a good way to compromise on each.

Friends have informed me that River North, Cherry Creek, and Cap Hill are good options for a young guy just starting his professional career. Price-wise, I'd like to keep it under $1,000/month, and based on PadMapper these areas seem do-able for that price.

So first question: Would living in Cherry Creek or Cap Hill have horrendous commutes to Broomfield? (I know RiNo will help a bit, but housing there is more limited) My driving plan would be to work my way to Colorado Blvd, follow that north to 270/36 highway, then shoot straight to work to avoid I-25 - what's the typical commute time during rush hour? And, most importantly, during poor weather? Are there better ways to get up to Broomfield?
Sub-Question 1: Yes
Sub-Question 2: Check with Google maps for commute times.
Sub-Question 3: All bets are off during a snowstorm.
Sub-Question 4: I don't know. David is probably right.

Quote:
Second question: Any other areas you all could recommend that'll give me a reasonable commute to Broomfield while still maintaing proximity to my friends in Five Points? I figure Sunnyside, Highland, or Jefferson Park could be good, but I don't know anything about these areas' appeal, safety, etc.

I hope I'm not being unreasonable, but any info would be helpful and much appreciated! I plan to stay with friends a few weeks while I tour apartments and get settled in. Thanks!
Highlands is quite the "hipster" neighborhood these days. You could take Sheridan Blvd to 36, then 36 to the office.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You could take Sheridan Blvd to 36, then 36 to the office.
No, because then he'd be clogging up MY main road.

OP, you could alternatively consider living in Boulder.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No, because then he'd be clogging up MY main road.

OP, you could alternatively consider living in Boulder.
That might be better, though farther from his friends. But maybe they'd go up to Boulder to visit him, then.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:08 PM

Just to ensure I'm not sounding like a massive d-bag - On the one hand, I don't want to live downtown if I have to spend all my time commuting to work. On the other, I don't want to live so far removed from the city that I have to sleep on a friend's couch if I want to go out in Denver on a Friday night.

Again, I realize I may be asking the impossible. Just trying to get input from as many people as possible to make a well informed decision.

Thanks though for all the input. I'm considering Boulder as an option as well, I just haven't looked into the rental scene there as much.

Last edited by KC_Royal_Rocky; 12-24-2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: giving thanks b/c Christmas

Old 12-24-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Royal_Rocky View Post
Just to ensure I'm not sounding like a massive d-bag - On the one hand, I don't want to live downtown if I have to spend all my time commuting to work. On the other, I don't want to live so far removed from the city that I have to sleep on a friend's couch if I want to go out in Denver on a Friday night.

Again, I realize I may be asking the impossible. Just trying to get input from as many people as possible to make a well informed decision.
You're not sounding like a d-bag at all.

It's your call though, I mean, you wouldn't be the only one commuting up 36, it could take 45 minutes (each way), slightly less, and definitely more on snow days.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Consider splitting the difference between work and 5 Points. Look in the Westminster/Federal Hgts area, centered around US 36 and Federal or Sheridan. It is a 15 minute drive from there to 5 Points.

And Padmapper shows apts under $1000 in the area

Old 12-24-2014, 09:06 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
WTF = Rocky Mtn. Metro Airport?
You mean JeffCo airport?

Live in the Berkeley neighborhood of Denver. https://maps.google.com/maps?cid=164...lassic&dg=ntvo
Live in Olde Town Arvada. https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.8...lassic&dg=ntvo
Think "live close to Wads".

Forget Cherry Creek and Capitol Hill.

Up your budget to $1500.
//www.city-data.com/forum/37756921-post203.html

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
WTF = Rocky Mtn. Metro Airport?
You mean JeffCo airport?

Live in the Berkeley neighborhood of Denver. https://maps.google.com/maps?cid=164...lassic&dg=ntvo
Live in Olde Town Arvada. https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.8...lassic&dg=ntvo
Think "live close to Wads".

Forget Cherry Creek and Capitol Hill.

Up your budget to $1500.
//www.city-data.com/forum/37756921-post203.html
Yes, apparently Rocky Mountain Metro Airport is JeffCo. It's listed as Rocky Mtn. on Google Maps.

Budget is stuck at $1,000 unfortunately. As Kurtis Blow said, these are the breaks. Currently checking out Olde Town, will also check out Berkeley.

Thanks again for everyone's input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver