Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:27 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,353,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
I've never heard of it taking months for people to adjust to the altitude.
I've ONLY heard of it taking months for people to "fully" adjust to high altitude. But it depends on the altitude and what sort of adjustment you mean... The 'OMG I'm going to vomit' adjustment ~ a few minutes to a few days. The 'I live here and barely notice it anymore' adjustment ~ up to 2 months (or a lot longer, or never, if you count things like learning to drink water and wear sunscreen, hats, etc...)

Adapt to Living at High Altitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,936,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I've ONLY heard of it taking months for people to "fully" adjust to high altitude. But it depends on the altitude and what sort of adjustment you mean... The 'OMG I'm going to vomit' adjustment ~ a few minutes to a few days. The 'I live here and barely notice it anymore' adjustment ~ up to 2 months (or a lot longer, or never, if you count things like learning to drink water and wear sunscreen, hats, etc...)

Adapt to Living at High Altitude
Also, you need to factor in where they are coming from to begin with. In the OPs case as well as mine when I moved out here, they will be coming from sea level. It definitely took me months to get acclimated to the altitude.

The only huge advice I can give is to drink a LOT of water.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:14 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily things are MUCH cheaper there then where I live in Orlando. The lot alone for a house is 500k-900k + its ridiculous! so houses run for 1.1mil and up. We have beverly hills prices here lol. I am more concerned about driving a sports car (Mustang) up there
Just curious what part of Orlando are you in with 1.1m houses? Is that Windermere? How many pro golfers are in your hood?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:52 AM

7 posts, read 18,208 times
If you are looking for a good night life and accessibility, i recommend Denver over the Springs. Since you are not accustomed to driving in the snow, i'm assuming, i would recommend you get a second vehicle for driving in the snow until you have a comfortable grip on winter driving. If you don't have the budget for a used AWD vehicle then snow tires are strongly encouraged. Black ice will be your worst enemy here aside from blinding white outs, but don't think that you will be waste deep in snow here during the winters either. Generally the snow melts away fairly quickly. Rent and property values in Denver are mmuch higher than the Springs.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 PM

450 posts, read 504,499 times
I lived in Orlando for 18 years (Dr. Phillips area in Bay Lakes). We moved to CO in 2002 and never looked back.

It took maybe 2 weeks to get acclimated to the altitude, but it wasn't bad enough to get us sick or anything. Everyone is different.

As far as driving in snow: I grew up in Minnesota and learned how to drive there (in 2wd vehicles only). I now own a 4wd Jeep and an old 2wd minivan and both have done great for the past 12 years. Best thing to do is keep a lot of distance between you and the car in front of you. Go easy on the brakes. If you slam the brakes, you could spin out. Same goes for being heavy on the gas. Bottom line is "slow down". Throw a bag of kitty litter in your trunk and carry a portable shovel just in case you have to dig out. And for goodness sake don't answer that cell phone call!!!

Just for fun... If you've never driven in snow before, try to find an empty parking lot or open area (keep it legal - Stay The Trail), and try a few "doughnuts". You'll quickly learn how that car can handle it! I taught my eldest kid how to drive in a parking lot of a store that had been closed for years!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM

236 posts, read 367,371 times
Ditto JW's driving tips. That kitty litter keeps the tail from wagging the dog, so to speak, and it's useful if you do get stuck as a traction aid.

Definitely investigate a good set of winter tires, say Bridgestone Blizaks or some other soft compound product.

Folks have their favorite tire shops, but Discount Tire is hard to top, and they're all over town.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,090,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
I've never heard of it taking months for people to adjust to the altitude. It may take a couple of days or maybe a week or two for some people. But, I'm sure there are exceptions.

I see mustangs nearly every day on my commute; driving on snow will likely be an adjustment for you. Also, see some other posts for advice on a winter survival kit that you should keep in your car...the storms here can pop up pretty quickly so it's best to be prepared.
It certainly doesn't take a couple of days or even a week. You actually feel fine for the first week or so, though you will get winded faster. After that time, your fitness level will drop and you have work to get back to your former fitness level. The reason for this is that it takes your body time to start producing more red blood cells to carry oxygen to your body. Pro sports teams fly in, play their game and get out before they see a fitness lag.

Here is some research on high altitude effects on fitness.

As for the Mustang, I'd hate for you to base a major life decision on the fact you don't want to leave your car behind. But, if the car thing is that important, you need to take a class on driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 AM

897 posts, read 1,246,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thtgirl09 View Post
Nice to see we aren't the only floridians looking to move to CO! Hope it all works for you
Now i haven't lived in CO I did live in NY with driving in snow and drive mostly sports cars with good tires and driving ability you can drive any car in the snow!
Just keep in mind that NYC does a MUCH better job of cleaning out the streets than Denver does. Normally the sun just melts it away here but in a storm like the one we just had and temperatures that don't allow the snow to melt NYC would have a massive fleet of trucks out 24/7 plowing and salting the roads... now as for the salt, there are plenty of reasons why Denver roads are much nicer (less potholes) than NYC roads. I suspect the constant salting is one of them.

But it's something to keep in mind - unless NYC is pounded with snow (I am talking about over a foot overnight), the roads will be plowed and salted by the time you head to work. In Denver, they just leave the snow on the ground for the sun to melt

Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,453,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Just keep in mind that NYC does a MUCH better job of cleaning out the streets than Denver does. Normally the sun just melts it away here but in a storm like the one we just had and temperatures that don't allow the snow to melt NYC would have a massive fleet of trucks out 24/7 plowing and salting the roads... now as for the salt, there are plenty of reasons why Denver roads are much nicer (less potholes) than NYC roads. I suspect the constant salting is one of them.

But it's something to keep in mind - unless NYC is pounded with snow (I am talking about over a foot overnight), the roads will be plowed and salted by the time you head to work. In Denver, they just leave the snow on the ground for the sun to melt
That's not entirely accurate. They do a very good job plowing all main roads. Neighborhood streets are not plowed.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post

Not what I remember from living in the NYC-West Village, snow was pilled up on West 10th and Hudson. Also everyone walks in NYC-- the sidewalks were dirty slush up to the mid-chin and you could barely walk to the subway without someone kicking it on you.

My pictures of NYC snow in 2006 it was about the same as some back roads here in Denver:
Advice for a Floridian who is moving to Denver or Col Springs?-02-12-06_1817.jpg
Advice for a Floridian who is moving to Denver or Col Springs?-02-12-06_1818.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver