Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:27 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,856 times

Advertisements

I knew it would stir up some resentment

Unfortunately, I stand by my previous comments. I lived in both places and quite recently so, and that has been my experience. Regardless of your comments, my experience remains as such. They simply do not plow nearly as much nor do they salt all the roads here. They did in Brooklyn and in Staten Island.

You can argue all you want, but I will stand by my comments as they are simply my experience.

I do live and work downtown, and to be fair the main roads have been relatively clear after a snowstorm. I have never seen Downtown plowed, so YMMV depends on your neighborhood I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Not what I remember from living in the NYC-West Village, snow was pilled up on West 10th and Hudson. Also everyone walks in NYC-- the sidewalks were dirty slush up to the mid-chin and you could barely walk to the subway without someone kicking it on you.

My pictures of NYC snow in 2006 it was about the same as some back roads here in Denver:
Attachment 142051
Attachment 142052
Agreed on the sidewalks being disgusting slush. Denver is much more pleasant to walk after a snowstorm. It's a different kind of snow as well, much drier and fluffier and easier to walk on; however, Driving - sorry Denverites - NYC is much better equipped in dealing with snow.

Now to be fair, Denver and NYC aren't nearly on the same scale. And to be fair, I would never EVER move back to NYC but for other reasons

Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I knew it would stir up some resentment

Unfortunately, I stand by my previous comments. I lived in both places and quite recently so, and that has been my experience. Regardless of your comments, my experience remains as such. They simply do not plow nearly as much nor do they salt all the roads here. They did in Brooklyn and in Staten Island.

You can argue all you want, but I will stand by my comments as they are simply my experience.

I do live and work downtown, and to be fair the main roads have been relatively clear after a snowstorm. I have never seen Downtown plowed, so YMMV depends on your neighborhood I suppose.
I agree 100%. There is simply no comparison between how the roads are maintained here and how they are maintained back east.
I suppose that the powers-that-be rely on the sun to come out and do some (most) of their work for them and some times, that is enough.
But days like this - no.
As is noted every single day on the local newscasts, and evidenced by personal experience (going on three winters here), the side streets get NO attention whatsoever unless one lives in a development with an HOA that actually pays for plowing.
Otherwise, it is quite likely that the streets and sidewalks will remain ice-covered for many, many days.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Not what I remember from living in the NYC-West Village, snow was pilled up on West 10th and Hudson. Also everyone walks in NYC-- the sidewalks were dirty slush up to the mid-chin and you could barely walk to the subway without someone kicking it on you.

My pictures of NYC snow in 2006 it was about the same as some back roads here in Denver:
Attachment 142051
Attachment 142052
Yes, the curb-sides do get mountainous in NYC. And yes, there is nothing quite like stepping into a six-inch deep puddle of slush.

But, notice in your picture how the sidewalks are more clear than not?

I worked near the Capitol Building for two years and while the streets (Colfax, 16th...) were cleared, the sidewalks were treacherous, particularly walking downhill from Logan to the Civic Center bus terminal.

P.S. I was baptized at St. Luke's on Hudson back in the dark ages. Lovely neighborhood.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
I was hoping to get some advice. My work offered me a promotion which is in our Denver office or the Colorado Springs office the choice is mine! I am torn on taking it. I am from Orlando Florida. I am a single 33yo. I have not driven in too much snow not to mention I drive a sports scar (Mustang GT) which may not handle too well up there. Whats the night life like? What are the people like? Accessibility of movie theaters ect etc? Stuff to do out doors? How bad is the snow. Is driving the car a I do a bad idea if I take this promotion? Driven a Mustang for 15yrs. Can not see my self driving anything else Thanks for all advice anyone gives! Im sure rent is not as bad up there as it is in Orlando FL. Which city would better for me? Which has less snow? Although I like snow.

PS> I wake board here. Might want to try snow boarding :P
Get out of Florida as fast as you can!
Denver is one of the coolest places in the lower 48, (of course I'm biased)
After living in Orlando for 18 years, I am so glad to be in the land of the living & thinking.
Welcome & Good luck.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:36 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
My alley got plowed and sanded. I'm not used to this kind of service. East Wash Park rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver