Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 9,930 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Denver in the next month. I want to use the light rail and bike as my transportation to work opposed to driving. Where I am looking to live is about 5 blocks from union station and where I would get off would be a few block trek to work also. I was wondering how difficult it is to find space on the light rail for a bike. I know they have a few designated spots on each car. Do these tend to fill up quick?

Also I understand during the winter I might have to change my transportation options due to the snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
Each car has a designated space at the front or the rear, to have two bikes, so four bikes total per train car - the exception is the train with the driver where you can only put bikes in the back, so two bikes in the first car.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 AM

473 posts, read 849,364 times
Usually pretty simple once you do it a couple times. It can get a little tight during nice weather. As mentioned don't use the ramps at stations- those are for first car (behind driver) and special needs.

If you're starting at Union Station (going south) you should be fine securing a spot. If you have a longer ride (4+ stops) I'd stand against the wall so others can get in and out with their bikes, and you won't have to move around to accommodate them.

The second spot position is easiest done by resting handlebars and wheels against the seat wall facing the car. Less shimmying when train is starting/stopping and easier to keep balance - (but pull your bike back for people entering and exiting at stops so you don't block the exit)

If you're heading INTO downtown in the evenings it gets busy with sports traffic (baseball, hockey, etc) That's the only time it's extremely big city style crowded. People tend to sit in the vestibules and crowd near the doors. I'll politely ask folks to move into the car where there's more space (something people don't seem to do here). And likewise if I'm in the bike door with another bike (or two) I adjust so people can get on and off, and they don't have to scramble to another door to board.

Also depending how far you work you may enjoy just riding the entire way home when weather is ideal - I work along the Southeast line and often ride to work on the train and bike back downtown (plus it's downhill headed home There are plenty of great bike routes, and our trail infrastructure is amazing IMO - (underpasses on busy roads, separate routes for bikes/peds downtown, etc)

Keep a few layers at work in the spring/fall - weather can change fast during the day and it may start out pleasant and be 40 degrees cooler by end of day. However summer storms move fast. If it's pouring rain at 2-3pm it's often sunny and dry again by 4. Similarly it may start out chilly and be 70-80 by afternoon and you'll be shedding some at work

Last edited by jamesdenver; 10-09-2014 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 09:40 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Each car has a designated space at the front or the rear, to have two bikes, so four bikes total per train car - the exception is the train with the driver where you can only put bikes in the back, so two bikes in the first car.
RTD has a webpage with graphics that describes the process of putting bikes on Light Rail.

RTD

Old 10-11-2014, 12:01 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post

If you're heading INTO downtown in the evenings it gets busy with sports traffic (baseball, hockey, etc) That's the only time it's extremely big city style crowded. People tend to sit in the vestibules and crowd near the doors. I'll politely ask folks to move into the car where there's more space (something people don't seem to do here). And likewise if I'm in the bike door with another bike (or two) I adjust so people can get on and off, and they don't have to scramble to another door to board.

Just want to add it can get big city style crowded during rush hour when Auraria Campus is in session. Frequent problem I've run in to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: