Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,289 times

Advertisements

I'm from Omaha, NE. I just got accepted to the Community College of Denver for IT. I know it sounds small but I plan on transferring back to a university once I'm settled in and done with my AAS. I've already completed two years at UNO here in the city. My two roommates want to move to Denver as well. We are in our twenties (22+) and they'll more than likely be transferring jobs since they work at the reservation center for Hyatt here. I work from home at the moment and am curious how difficult it is relocating to Denver for us youngins to find work and housing. We want to do some schooling while we live there because why not be productive? I know absolutely nobody in Colorado. I have never even been there. I'm scared but equally excited. Our lease terminates in June 2015; the plan is to fly or drive down there end-of-June or sooner if I get a job. Any recommendations or helpful advice? I NEED to get out of Nebraska. I can't bear living here anymore so I'm serious about this move. Any advice, tips, links, info would be greatly appreciated!!

PS ...we are gay-friendly and non-religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 AM

387 posts, read 636,235 times
You're in Omaha. It's about an 8 hour drive. Come for a long weekend before moving. This will give you an opportunity to see different areas of the city without the added pressure of finding a place to live RIGHT NOW. You can explore neighborhoods around your school, find out what the night life is like, check into public transportation to see if commuting via bus or light rail works for school (it should, you can take the C, E, W to the west side of campus, D, F and H to the east side). You can look at apartments to get a feel for the cost, and how much you can afford. Denver is much, much more expensive for housing costs than Omaha. Be prepared for that. If you want a 3-BR, you're probably looking at over $2300/month. And houses (if you want that instead of an apartment) go FAST, and are even more expensive. It's really a sellers/landlord's market here.

As far as knowing no one, you'll be in school, and likely around many people your age that also may be new to the area to attend school. I wouldn't worry about that as much. It won't be any different than meeting new people at any school you move to attend.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 PM

694 posts, read 1,035,240 times
I went to law school in Omaha. Did my 3 years there and then returned here right after. It's going to be a lot different here than the Big O. Housing rentals (which are difficult to find) will be more expensive. Rush hour traffic is a nightmare on most days much like around Omaha when it snows. Otherwise, Omaha traffic is a breeze compared to here.

I suggest you make a trip here ASAP before you make any definite plans to join the inbound migration. You'll meet people at school, but you will also be competing with them in the job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: