Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times

Advertisements

How much more is it really to buy pot in Florida than Colorado? If you buy the small amounts you are allowed in Colorado, what are the chances of anything bad happening to you if you get caught with that in Florida?

The pot situation seriously can't be drawing that many people to live on its own. Pot is easy to get everywhere, its not like its being given away in Colorado. I can see it drawing some additional vacation interest and maybe a small number decide to stay.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Regarding the ridiculous lease terms, I'll give a generalization of what I have experienced while searching for a place to live.

I am looking for a short term living situation. As I said, my goals at this new job will be reached within a 6-7 month time frame, and I might just want to up and leave the moment this goal is fulfilled (it has to do with a credential). I have made moves like this before to many different cities and it was extremely easy to find a homeowner who was renting out one of his rooms for a temporary or month-to-month situation. This is what I needed for this job.

Well, here in Denver, the rooms people are offering are almost all tied to a lease. And the leases offered are all a year long, and have roommates wrapped in the bundle as well. I have only heard of this happening in Florida for six month leases (which I would be fine with signing) and for absolutely adorable places with a large amount of private space. Here, I have yet to find a living situation where I would even have my own bathroom!!!!

I just can't believe that homeowner/landlords here have the audacity to ask someone to sign a year long contract binding them to a living situation with roommates who they don't even know and who would be crammed into such tiny living quarters. And I found no situation for less than 800 a month. If it was advertised for less than $800 a month, then it didn't include utilities.

I absolutely refuse to bind myself to a contract that would have me living in a house with multiple people who I don't know, who I might not even like, and who I would have to share a toilet with! No and NO!!
Welcome to a seller's market.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:38 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Ah yes. The old...'rent is higher here so something is wrong'. So, with your thought, I should be able to live on the beach in San Diego and pay 600 a month because that's what you pay in Florida? How about a 2 bedroom apartment overlooking the park in Manhattan? I can get a 2 bedroom apartment in Florida for 750 a month, so I should be able to pay that in Manhattan. Denver is more expensive because it is a desirable place to live and people are willing to pay a premium to live out here.

If your company sent you out here, you should have done your homework and either requested more money for housing, or refused the assignment.

Every city has positives and negatives and I agree that they negatives need to be brought to light for future residents, but not by disgruntled people who really don't know what they are talking about.

As for Stoners ruining the market... do you honestly think that true stoners have the money to afford nice places if they are supposedly spending all of their money trying to get high?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Regarding the ridiculous lease terms, I'll give a generalization of what I have experienced while searching for a place to live.

I am looking for a short term living situation. As I said, my goals at this new job will be reached within a 6-7 month time frame, and I might just want to up and leave the moment this goal is fulfilled (it has to do with a credential). I have made moves like this before to many different cities and it was extremely easy to find a homeowner who was renting out one of his rooms for a temporary or month-to-month situation. This is what I needed for this job.

Well, here in Denver, the rooms people are offering are almost all tied to a lease. And the leases offered are all a year long, and have roommates wrapped in the bundle as well. I have only heard of this happening in Florida for six month leases (which I would be fine with signing) and for absolutely adorable places with a large amount of private space. Here, I have yet to find a living situation where I would even have my own bathroom!!!!

I just can't believe that homeowner/landlords here have the audacity to ask someone to sign a year long contract binding them to a living situation with roommates who they don't even know and who would be crammed into such tiny living quarters. And I found no situation for less than 800 a month. If it was advertised for less than $800 a month, then it didn't include utilities.

I absolutely refuse to bind myself to a contract that would have me living in a house with multiple people who I don't know, who I might not even like, and who I would have to share a toilet with! No and NO!!
I rented a room in a house the first time I moved to Denver in the 90s. It wasn't ideal, but I didn't stay there long.

Try finding someplace to live in NYC, San Francisco, LA or San Diego. It would be the same situation as here, only costing you more money It's really all about supply and demand.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 AM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
It's supply and demand. Growth rate is just one part of it although Colorado's growth rate is higher than FL (overall growth is higher in FL because it has more people). Demand is rising in CO faster than supply so prices go up. Demographics also play a role, as well as why people are moving in determining how much people are willing to spend on rent.

Do people moving here for pot change that supply/demand/demographic equation? Of course they can increase the demand, but how many people are actually moving here solely for marijuana? Further how much money do they have (IE do those moving here for MJ have and are willing to spend more for rent then those moving here for other reasons) ? There's no numbers on either of those things and we have conflicting anecdotal data from throughout the metro.

What we do know is that rents have been rising in CO since the housing crisis started, and haven't really shown any sign of sustained downward pressure for a correction yet. We also know that rents in CO have historically been higher than FL well before MJ became legal. Knowing that I would not be inclined to say that 'stoners' are driving up the rents in relation to the rents in FL.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Ah yes. The old...'rent is higher here so something is wrong'. So, with your thought, I should be able to live on the beach in San Diego and pay 600 a month because that's what you pay in Florida? How about a 2 bedroom apartment overlooking the park in Manhattan? I can get a 2 bedroom apartment in Florida for 750 a month, so I should be able to pay that in Manhattan. Denver is more expensive because it is a desirable place to live and people are willing to pay a premium to live out here.

If your company sent you out here, you should have done your homework and either requested more money for housing, or refused the assignment.

Every city has positives and negatives and I agree that they negatives need to be brought to light for future residents, but not by disgruntled people who really don't know what they are talking about.

As for Stoners ruining the market... do you honestly think that true stoners have the money to afford nice places if they are supposedly spending all of their money trying to get high?
Stoners will over saturate the lower end rental market, which is the same rental market I am in.

And Denver is not next to a beach (San Diego), and is not the most cosmopolitan city on earth (new york). It is a very average American city. There is nothing spectacular about this place but the rents are through the roof.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I rented a room in a house the first time I moved to Denver in the 90s. It wasn't ideal, but I didn't stay there long.

Try finding someplace to live in NYC, San Francisco, LA or San Diego. It would be the same situation as here, only costing you more money It's really all about supply and demand.
I don't plan on staying in someone's house long either, which is why I won't sign a lease binding myself to such a thing.

And I wouldn't live in any of those cities because it is expensive. Denver is like a cloak and dagger with its cost of living. Never before has Denver been known as an expensive place, but it 1000% is and it needs to be known.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:15 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Quote:
Stoners will over saturate the lower end rental market, which is the same rental market I am in.

And Denver is not next to a beach (San Diego), and is not the most cosmopolitan city on earth (new york). It is a very average American city. There is nothing spectacular about this place but the rents are through the roof.
There isn't really a lower end rental market anymore. I doubt you could get any 1 bedroom apartment at least in the area I'm in (Southwest Metro) for less than $900/month.

The "nothing spectacular about this place" is also your opinion, which the general public doesn't agree with. If that was true everybody wouldn't be moving here, rents and housing prices wouldn't be going through the roof, we wouldn't be topping like every list for economy, quality of living, happiness, less obesity, etc...

It just sounds like you're bitter because you can't afford to live here, it's really as simple as that. Typically people defend their choices even if they are totally outnumbered or in the wrong just to defend themselves.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
There isn't really a lower end rental market anymore. I doubt you could get any 1 bedroom apartment at least in the area I'm in (Southwest Metro) for less than $900/month.

The "nothing spectacular about this place" is also your opinion, which the general public doesn't agree with. If that was true everybody wouldn't be moving here, rents and housing prices wouldn't be going through the roof, we wouldn't be topping like every list for economy, quality of living, happiness, less obesity, etc...

It just sounds like you're bitter because you can't afford to live here, it's really as simple as that. Typically people defend their choices even if they are totally outnumbered or in the wrong just to defend themselves.
Let's try and get this info out there a little better then. There are a dozen threads on the board here about people wanting to move here who deserve to be warned.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Quote:
Let's try and get this info out there a little better then. There are a dozen threads on the board here about people wanting to move here who deserve to be warned.
Warned about what? I see tons of posts with people wanting to move here and the first questions people usually answer are about the housing prices, it's not like it's some secret.

Also any reasonable person would do some basic research about the place they are moving to. 5 minutes on padmapper.com, apartments.com, etc.. and you'd easily know what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver