Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:10 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
What on earth is with the rediculous rent prices in this city? And the competition for an apartment, especially in the lower income brackets is insane.

Seriously, what $600 will get you in Florida you have to be willing to spend $900-$1000 here in Denver. And be locked in with rediculous lease terms.

Why is this happening? Jobs pay the exact same here as they do in Florida yet cost of living is 40% higher. I really don't understand why. And don't say it's because of snowboarding because with the cost of living as high as it is I can't see any of the people I have met who moved here recently able to afford snowboarding.

My guess is the stoners. The number of people who I have met who smoke pot on a daily basis here is astonishing(and gross). They are jacking up the cost of living and hey don't care about the price as long as they can satisfy their drug habits legally.
And how did the stoners come across such great wealth that they can all afford to come in and pay any named sum of rent?

Your theory leaves a lot of room for logical thought, let's just say...

Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And how did the stoners come across such great wealth that they can all afford to come in and pay any named sum of rent?

Your theory leaves a lot of room for logical thought, let's just say...
How many times do I need to state here that they are over saturating the lower end rental market? Yes, I am aware that they are probably not influencing the housing market, or tge higher end rentals. The cheaper, flexible living situations though are being gobbled up by them.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Wah, wah, wah. Cry me a river. At one point I used to live in Denver, and if you're going to live in the city, Denver is really a pretty nice town, high rents and all. I now live in far southwest Colorado in the small town of Cortez, and the rents out here have shot through the roof. We have NOT been flooded with out of state pot heads. Instead we have had a large number of workers in the gas and oil industry move in. These folks get per diem and help from their company with moving costs. Locals working the typical low paying jobs around here are getting priced out. I'm sure the surge in growth of the energy industry is one of the major contributing factors to Denver's high housing costs, as well. So, rodeo up, cowboy and take it on the chin like a man. If you can't do that, go whine on the Florida forum. In case you haven't noticed, you're not getting much sympathy here.
This is my forum for the next seven months.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
I mostly just looked at craigslist. And I was very excited for the job opportunity so I didn't do enough research. I had never been told that Denver was an expensive place. Only now is it making these "expensive cities to live in" list. Seattle, San Diego, DC, San Fran, NY..... We all know those are expensive places to live. It is only now being discovered that Denver is the same way.
You asked in 2009 about getting around without a car and cheap universities, but asked nothing about prices. You listed Chicago as your home area, a not so cheap area to start with. You got good advice at the time. I can find no postings from you about rental prices, until recently, after you moved here and had one of those OMG moments in the rental market. We have literally hundreds of recent posts the last 18 months warning people of high rentals, low availability, etc.

Quote:
How many times do I need to state here that they are over saturating the lower end rental market? Yes, I am aware that they are probably not influencing the housing market, or tge higher end rentals. The cheaper, flexible living situations though are being gobbled up by them.
Probably true to some extent, or maybe even a large extent, we don't know, we can't quantify the extent of "stoner" influence without sufficient supporting info/data. A knee jerk response blaming market conditions on stoners does not seem warranted even if there is some truth to it. After all, it's no different than people flocking to Florida in the winter for the warmth and running up rental prices for all sorts of living quarters.

We are here to help people get it right before they move. We always refer people to padmapper.com to see rental prices and we tell relocatees that it's pricey here. Our regular posters have given you a lot of great info.

We hear your pain, and we hear the same from many people who wish to come here from low cost areas.

I've read every post and thread here for 8 years now; we've been getting steady growth in the Denver metro area as people are literally fleeing the way more expensive coastal regions and that flow has increased the last 3 years as the economy slowly recovers from the great recession.

Best advice I have is for you, or anyone, is to post examples of cost per sq ft, etc, otherwise that old wedding day advice is good in this situation: relax and enjoy it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-10-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You asked in 2009 about getting around without a car and cheap universities, but asked nothing about prices. You listed Chicago as your home area, a not so cheap area to start with. You got good advice at the time.

Probably true to some extent, or maybe even a large extent, we don't know, we can't quantify the extent of "stoner" influence without sufficient supporting info/data.

We are here to help people get it right before they move. We always refer people to padmapper.com to see rental prices and we tell relocatees that it's pricey here. Our regular posters have given you a lot of great info.

We hear your pain, and we hear the same from many people who wish to come here from low cost areas.

I've read every post and thread here for 8 years now; we've been getting steady growth in the Denver metro area as people are literally fleeing the way more expensive coastal regions and that flow has increased the last 3 years as the economy slowly recovers from the great recession.

Best advice I have is for you, or anyone, is to post examples of cost per sq ft, etc, otherwise that old wedding day advice is good in this situation: relax and enjoy it.
Oh my goodness! I remember posting that. Lol. I only lasted a few weeks in Chicago. I really wasn't in a good place mentally back then. I remember being very depressed and driving around the country looking for a place I could be happy in. I'm glad I did the right thing and moved back to Florida to finish college. I now moved to Denver with a job and am struggling. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been back then for me if I just showed up here.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness! I remember posting that. Lol. I only lasted a few weeks in Chicago. I really wasn't in a good place mentally back then. I remember being very depressed and driving around the country looking for a place I could be happy in. I'm glad I did the right thing and moved back to Florida to finish college. I now moved to Denver with a job and am struggling. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been back then for me if I just showed up here.
Let us help you struggle your way to success here. Tell us your rental budget, your job location, and our people will step up and help you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:58 PM

371 posts, read 494,142 times
I kind of get the OP's frustration. Rents are going up way too high way too fast here, even with the building boom. My current complex only raise the rate for us for our current lease by 3%, which is AMAZING in this market. We ended up taking it, even though I thinking about us finding a new place because I am really tired of my 27 mile in rush hour Thornton to DTC commute. Salaries definitely AREN'T keeping pace -- the average raise at my company last year was 2-5%, rents went up nearly 10%. This makes it hard for people to keep their heads above water, much less save for a house or a townhome (we don't build condo's these days).

Yes, Denver has all kinds of great things going for it...low crime rate, near the mountains, culture, microbreweries, legalized marijuana, concerts, nice parks, a kind of live-and-let-live culture. Is it worth what you currently have to pay for it? Not really. And, based on personal experience of a year I spent being broke in Broadway Terrace...it SUCKS having all that stuff right out your window but not really being able to take advantage of it because all your money goes into just keeping your head above water. What's the point of being in Denver (or NYC, San Fran, L.A., Austin, Boston, etc.) if you're not going to get to experience that things you want to from them?

Honestly, I'd say unless you're going to be making AT LEAST 50-60K a year OR don't mind living in a junkhole of an apartment with 3 roommates so that you can ski/toke/microbrew/hike/bike to your hearts content...don't come here. There IS some great quality of life to be had here, but really, it's not a place for the working or even lower-middle class anymore.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
What on earth is with the rediculous rent prices in this city? And the competition for an apartment, especially in the lower income brackets is insane.

Seriously, what $600 will get you in Florida you have to be willing to spend $900-$1000 here in Denver. And be locked in with rediculous lease terms.

Why is this happening? Jobs pay the exact same here as they do in Florida yet cost of living is 40% higher. I really don't understand why. And don't say it's because of snowboarding because with the cost of living as high as it is I can't see any of the people I have met who moved here recently able to afford snowboarding.

My guess is the stoners. The number of people who I have met who smoke pot on a daily basis here is astonishing(and gross). They are jacking up the cost of living and hey don't care about the price as long as they can satisfy their drug habits legally.
I read all the posts here. Let me toss my thoughts out there.

1. Rents, housing prices, cost of living are all local. You can compare rents in Florida and Colorado all you want but you will not have an apples to apples comparison doing that. The only thing you can compete with is the local area and surrounding cities if they happen to be close by.

2. What an employer is willing to pay you has nothing to do with rents in an area.

3. Stoners don't normally control the rent for an area.

4. Expectations are always going to be different from one local to another.

Here is something that you may want to do when you move to a new area. Research what the cost of living in an area will be. You can use City Data's main page to do that. You can ask here in the forum. So many other places that you can check to see if a move is worth it. I live in Southern California on the coast. It is hard to attract talent to our area because of the cost of living. People around here wish they could find a place for $900 a month. One bedroom places around here can go for $1,300 a month. A two bedroom can set you back $1,650. People rent rooms to others for $700 a month.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Florida is the 2nd highest growth state in the nation, only behind Texas, so saying nobody wants to live there is just untrue, and completely off topic.

And what type of person is wanting to move to Denver? I can say that of the four roommates I have lived with since arriving here that three are new arrivals like me and the three new arrivals blaze out on an almost daily basis.
So people are moving to Florida and the housing is cheap. You don't see a correlation between the two?

When my dad finally retired back in 2002 they decided to sell their high cost home and move to a lower cost place. The home was paid off. They sold it, bought a brand new home in a cheaper area and placed a couple hundred thousand in the bank. I am betting that lots of people do the same thing and move to Florida to find a nice low cost home.

A former co-worker did the same thing. Her and her husband sold a home and a business, paid cash for a new home and took it easy for a few years. They just did not need to work. The home here in California still had a mortgage when they sold it. They had been there for a while and had over $250,000 in equity when they sold.

Yes lots of people are moving to Florida. Just may not be for the same reasons that you think.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
I don't plan on staying in someone's house long either, which is why I won't sign a lease binding myself to such a thing.

And I wouldn't live in any of those cities because it is expensive. Denver is like a cloak and dagger with its cost of living. Never before has Denver been known as an expensive place, but it 1000% is and it needs to be known.
I was paying $350 a month to rent a room in a hundred year old house back in 1995 where the roof leaked cold water down my back when I stood in front of the sink, the heat couldn't keep up when the temp dropped to single digits, the power frequently blew out due to poor wiring, and I had to fight for onstreet parking. That wasn't cheap for such a crappy place to live, and I'm pretty sure Denver has always been on the expensive side. But it's all relative to where you're coming from. We moved here a few years ago from Orange County and sold a 2 bdr. condo for $400k and bought an entire house in Denver for just a little more than that. It seemed cheap to us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver