Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 12:17 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,333,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
Katarina, interesting that you are using your AC so much this summer... I guess this summer would be considered a hot summer. I have heard other people saying they think it is a hot summer too.

In raw temps, no it is not hotter. However, I would contend that this summer has been more humid.

Since daily review of a hygrometer happens where I work, I can say that this summer has been more humid than usual, which would contribute to a warmer than usual feeling. A typical humidity reading in CO would be 10-25%. Many days this summer we have been sitting a 30-50%. So, to someone from a lower elevation where 80-90% is the norm, it may not feel like things are more humid than normal, but comparatively speaking, they are, which is making things feel hotter.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 PM

133 posts, read 148,432 times
The problem is... not only is mild a subjective word, but when someone says "a real winter", that is also subjective. What constitutes a real winter? Or even "a true 4 season climate". There are plenty of people who live in Tennessee who believe what they have is a true 4 season climate and a real winter. There are plenty of people in North Carolina who believe the same thing. I think the best thing is to compare Denver winter to other specific places - vs saying it is a mild winter or of states that have winter, it is mild. Again, my opinion is that Denver has a harsh winter compared to Philly, DC, Baltimore, Virginia - even New York City (not state), but would probably be considered a mild winter compared to Minneapolis, Green Bay, Montana, Michigan, etc.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:21 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,366,252 times
I don't think I've posted about summer yet. The past 2 summers here we've kept our a/c on from June through August without giving it much thought, like we did back east. One evening last week it was so cool that we decided we had to give it a shot and turned the a/c off. It's now been off for a full week and we aren't that uncomfortable. It starts to get warm around 3pm and stays that way until about 7. But as long as we don't have to have the oven on for long periods, it's definitely bearable. It cools off at night and the bedrooms ceiling fans help. I just vacuumed and didn't break a sweat.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:48 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
^^We turn our A/C off almost every night. There have been a few nights we've left it on.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
In raw temps, no it is not hotter. However, I would contend that this summer has been more humid.

Since daily review of a hygrometer happens where I work, I can say that this summer has been more humid than usual, which would contribute to a warmer than usual feeling. A typical humidity reading in CO would be 10-25%. Many days this summer we have been sitting a 30-50%. So, to someone from a lower elevation where 80-90% is the norm, it may not feel like things are more humid than normal, but comparatively speaking, they are, which is making things feel hotter.
I agree. The humidity has been higher than normal for Colorado. I can see it most obviously in my garden, where my roses have been battling black spot, which is really unusual. I've used the AC more often this year, too, just to keep the house a little drier. Fifty percent makes me miserable. Guess this Ohio girl has fully adapted!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
Default Real men, real Winter

Real Winter = Watertown, NY.
All else is silliness.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,624,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
The problem is... not only is mild a subjective word, but when someone says "a real winter", that is also subjective. What constitutes a real winter? Or even "a true 4 season climate". There are plenty of people who live in Tennessee who believe what they have is a true 4 season climate and a real winter. There are plenty of people in North Carolina who believe the same thing. I think the best thing is to compare Denver winter to other specific places - vs saying it is a mild winter or of states that have winter, it is mild. Again, my opinion is that Denver has a harsh winter compared to Philly, DC, Baltimore, Virginia - even New York City (not state), but would probably be considered a mild winter compared to Minneapolis, Green Bay, Montana, Michigan, etc.
You have to define what "mild" means to you.

IMHO, a true 4-season climate is one in which winters have multiple days below freezing and that multiple inches of slow can accumulate on the ground -- and that it happens every year, multiple times (not like a half inch dusting in Atlanta....)

You just plain and simple don't get the same type of cold-bitterness and never-ending snow accumulation that you do in most of the US that has a true winter. The cold-windy snowy days are offset my multiple sunny days in the 40s and 50s that melt the snow. Days like that rarely happen other winter states -- but is a common occurrence on the front range.

If mild means you rarely get snow and it's always warm.... then you moved to the wrong state and you aren't trying to compare apples to apples. It's not fair to compare the west coast and the south with CO -- they aren't 4 season climates.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Real Winter = Watertown, NY.
All else is silliness.
International Falls, MN has them beat:

Watertown: Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 9°F to 80°F and is rarely below -15°F or above 86°F.
https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

International Falls: Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from -6°F to 78°F and is rarely below -28°F or above 86°F.
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Old 08-18-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
You have to define what "mild" means to you.

IMHO, a true 4-season climate is one in which winters have multiple days below freezing and that multiple inches of slow can accumulate on the ground -- and that it happens every year, multiple times (not like a half inch dusting in Atlanta....)

You just plain and simple don't get the same type of cold-bitterness and never-ending snow accumulation that you do in most of the US that has a true winter. The cold-windy snowy days are offset my multiple sunny days in the 40s and 50s that melt the snow. Days like that rarely happen other winter states -- but is a common occurrence on the front range.

If mild means you rarely get snow and it's always warm.... then you moved to the wrong state and you aren't trying to compare apples to apples. It's not fair to compare the west coast and the south with CO -- they aren't 4 season climates.
Yes, agreed. Denver has a mild winter. It still has winter. Some people from Cali think this is the equivalent of the North Pole, but for a winter, it's quite mild.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-18-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 11:11 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,906,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, agreed. Denver has a mild winter. It still has winter. Some people from Cali think this is the equivalent of the North Pole, but for a winter, it's quite mild.
Every city has winter by definition. A mild winter would be PHX or Miami, IMO. Denver has a full-blown winter with snow and ice and blizzards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver