Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:31 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I may move to Denver sometime in 2015 or 2016 and wanted to get some info on neighborhoods. I'm currently living in São Paulo but I'm originally from Boston. I do have some familiarity with the city, but I don't know a lot about the various neighborhoods. I'd be working out near Stapleton but both my wife and I prefer urban neighborhoods...and Stapleton doesn't fit that bill.

We'd like to find a place that's walkable. I know I probably won't be able to duplicate the urbanity of Boston, but I do know there are some nice, older neighborhoods near downtown. Where can I find good urban neighborhoods in Denver? Where I can walk to grocery stores and bars to watch sports and sip on some good micro brews?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 03:45 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
What is your budget and do you want a house, condo, or townhouse?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
What is your budget and do you want a house, condo, or townhouse?
I would put the ceiling for rent at around $1,500 maybe? Something in that area at least. Since I'm trying to be in an urban area, I'd hope for a condo or townhouse.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Darn, so nobody has any info on where I can find an urban neighborhood in Denver that would cater to the younger demographic?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Uptown

Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Denver is not Boston.

Nor is it New York, Chicago, Providence, Philadelphia, or Washington, DC.

We don't have brownstones, row houses, or whatever your city calls them.

We don't have the density that these other cities have.

We do, however, have the expensive rents of these cities. Your budget will not go far in securing a residence in one of the more dense areas of Denver.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:19 PM

Great, thanks for the info!

I looked at some websites the other day and they recommended places like Cherry Creek, LoDo, Uptown, etc. I took a look and didn't think the prices were too terrible considering what you get for them. $1,500 wasn't necessarily a limit...I'm still very much in the preliminary stages and sort of just wanted to throw out some "feelers" to see what kind of response I got regarding prices. It's certainly not a "Sun Belt" city when it comes to rent prices, but fortunately it's still quite a bit lower than what I'd get for the same thing in the Boston area...which is definitely a good thing. As much as I love Boston, its rent prices can be crippling.

I'm relatively familiar with Cherry Creek. I know it's got a reputation as being the wealthy part of town and I've been through a few times and really liked it. If I remember correctly, there's kind of a cool little downtown area, right? Would Cherry Creek be considered "walkable" by you guys? Is it an older crowd or does it also cater to relatively young adults as well?

The LoDo/Five Points area seems like it's mostly started to really pick up steam in more recent years. The last time I spent an extended time in Denver was in 2007 I believe, but I didn't really go out too much. I remember hearing that was becoming the "cool" spot, but I didn't ever experience it myself. Would that be an ideal area for a married couple aged 27-30? I like having access to nightlife, but at the same time, I'd rather not live directly in a club district.

What do you guys think? Once again, I appreciate all the help.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I've been to Denver about a dozen times since my first visit back 1998 and I'm also originally from Boston so I'll chime in. The city has gone through a lot of change since 2007 and you'll notice downtown and adjacent neighborhoods have definitely been going through a building boom. Though I haven't had a hard look at rent in the city lately I'm aware that it has gone up exponentially within the last two years. I'm not sure what you'll find in your budget but based on my observation having been all over the city these are the most walkable neighborhoods in Denver......

LoDo is going to be your most walkable urban neighborhood and it's about as trendy/urban as Denver gets. LoDo has got Coors Field nearby (great ballpark), lots of craft beer breweries, Union Station (quite impressive actually with all the recent multi-modal transportation updates), and there are a few blocks that have that kind of historic brick and urban architecture than would make a Bostonian feel at home.

Look into Highlands which is quickly gentrifying and gaining a lot of density with new 4-5 story modern urban cubes. It's on the other side of the I-25 freeway from downtown and it has good pedestrian connections to places like Union Station and there is a very attractive city park in between (Confluence/Commons park). Take a walk over the pedestrian bridges over the freeway and railroad tracks and through the park. They did a really nice job making attractive pedestrian connections between Highlands and LoDo.

Five Points is on an upswing with good light rail connections but it still has that vibe about it that perhaps my car might get broken into if I park on the street there.

Capital Hill is a good neighborhood if you like eclectic with a high concentration of bars. It's kind of a checkerboard neighborhood where some blocks have bright spots and others can be dicey. Capital Hill has mixed element and a good dose of urban grit along Colfax Ave. It's old and historic by Denver standards and definitely a very walkable neighborhood with great parks nearby.

One of my favorite neighborhoods in Denver where I'd have a fantasy of buying a million dollar bungalow is Wash Park (Washington Park for non locals). It's expensive but it has charm with beautiful craftsman bungalow homes. I'd consider it walkable as one could walk over to the Louisiana light rail station, it has one of Denver's best city parks, and nearby Bonnie Brae has a quaint little neighborhood commercial district.

Other walkable areas would be around the Lincoln Street/Broadway area just south of downtown, and Speer Boulevard is semi walkable. Speer is perfect if you're into biking as there is a bike trail and sunken creek in the median that will take you right to downtown. Cherry Creek is at the other end of Speer. This would be your neighborhood if having lots of retail and stores like Whole Foods nearby is important to you. Cherry Creek is a bit further removed from the core neighborhoods of Denver but its sort of walkable.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-14-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 08:06 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I've been to Denver about a dozen times since my first visit back 1998 and I'm also originally from Boston so I'll chime in. Though I haven't had a hard look at rent in the city lately I'm aware that it has gone up exponentially within the last two years. I'm not sure what you'll find in your budget but based on my observation having been all over the city there are the most walkable neighborhoods in Denver......

LoDo is going to be your most walkable urban neighborhood and its about as trendy/urban as Denver gets. LoDo has got Coors Field nearby (great ballpark), lots of craft beer breweries, Union Station (quite impressive actually with all the recent multi-modal transportation updates), and there are a few blocks that have that kind of historic brick and urban architecture than would make a Bostonian feel at home.

Look into Highlands which is quickly gentrifying and gaining a lot of density with new 4-5 story modern urban cubes. It's on the other side of the I-25 freeway from downtown and it has good pedestrian connections to places like Union Station and there is a very attractive city park in between (Confluence/Commons park). Take a walk over the pedestrian bridges over the freeway and railroad tracks and through the park. They did a really nice job making attractive pedestrian connections between Highlands and LoDo.

Five Points is on an upswing with good light rail connections but it still has that vibe about it that perhaps my car might get broken into if I park on the street there.

Capital Hill is a good neighborhood if you like eclectic with a high concentration of bars. It's kind of a checkerboard neighborhood where some blocks have bright spots and others can be dicey. Capital Hill has mixed element and a good dose of urban grit along Colfax Ave. It's old and historic by Denver standards and definitely a very walkable neighborhood with great parks nearby.

One of my favorite neighborhoods in Denver where I'd have a fantasy of buying a million dollar bungalow is Wash Park (Washington Park for non locals). It's expensive but it has charm with beautiful craftsman bungalow homes. I'd consider it walkable as one could walk over to the Louisiana light rail station, it has one of Denver's best city parks, and nearby Bonnie Brae has a quaint little neighborhood commercial district.

Other walkable areas would be around the Lincoln Street/Broadway area just south of downtown, and Speer Boulevard is semi walkable. Speer is perfect if you're into biking as there is a bike trail and sunken creek in the median that will tae you right to downtown. Cherry Creek is at the other end of Speer, this would be your neighborhood if having lots of retail nearby and stores like Whole Foods, etc. Cherry Creek is a bit further removed from the core neighborhoods of Denver but its sort of walkable.
How about the non local coming in and giving the best advice of the thread!

Solid take.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
How about the non local coming in and giving the best advice of the thread!

Solid take.
Hey thanks! It helps that one of my best friends lives up there, and I stayed in Denver for a whole month back in summer 2009 and did a lot of exploring around the city. I was fortunate enough to stay at his house in Wash Park. With light rail a 10-15 minute walk away I really didn't feel the need to have a car between that and the walkable neighborhood I was staying in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver