Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I was not confusing Harvard Park and Harvey Park.
I was just offering Harvard Park as another little neighborhood. We never knew it as Rosedale and neither did the realtor who showed us a house there or the people I met at the park. I'm sure it says Rosedale in the city government website.
Where I used to live in Denver was officially, in city documents, called "Williams Driving Park." Unofficially, among Denverites, it was called Country Club North.
We also lived in University Park and my brother attended the elementary school there. Unofficially, the neighborhood is called Observatory Park, for the park there. It's still a pretty nice area although there are a lot more pop-tops these days.
Southern Hills is another neighborhood people have been moving to, south of Evans, north of Hampden.

I certainly agree about neighborhoods not needing a cache to be nice--which is why I said I liked Harvard Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Hmm, I was not confusing Harvard Park and Harvey Park.
I was just offering Harvard Park as another little neighborhood. We never knew it as Rosedale and neither did the realtor who showed us a house there or the people I met at the park. I'm sure it says Rosedale in the city government website.
Where I used to live in Denver was officially, in city documents, called "Williams Driving Park." Unofficially, among Denverites, it was called Country Club North.
We also lived in University Park and my brother attended the elementary school there. Unofficially, the neighborhood is called Observatory Park, for the park there. It's still a pretty nice area although there are a lot more pop-tops these days.
Southern Hills is another neighborhood people have been moving to, south of Evans, north of Hampden.

I certainly agree about neighborhoods not needing a cache to be nice--which is why I said I liked Harvard Park.
Very good Information--thank you. I always like to know what the real non-official names of an area from a person who knows and grew up in the area. I wonder why they call it "Rosedale" and not the other names that you used???? Interesting, I will have to look into this just for the historical issue.

What I want to do is showcase the other good areas of Denver and let newcomers and transplants, like myself, know about these areas. We do not want you people to keep these hidden enclaves to yourself. You need some New Yawkers, Californians and Texans Yuppies to spice up your lives.

Livecontent

Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Hardly unknown or hidden, but mentioned far less often than areas such as Capitol Hill or Governors Park, is Congress Park, just east of those areas, and north of Cherry Creek. A mixed neighborhood of bungalows, apartments, victorians, etc. The neighborhood park is Congress Park. Cheesman Park is also close by; there's also the Botanic Garden, and City Park is not far.
Quote:
http://www.denvergov.org/CongressPar...9/Default.aspx Congress Park is located at 9th Ave. and Elizabeth Street. Amenities include an outdoor swimming pool with children's wading pool and bathhouse, 8 tennis courts, 2 informal softball fields, 1 soccer field, 1 playground, 2 parking lots, 1 covered picnic area by playground, basketball court, several picnic benches throughout the park, and restroom facilities.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Very good Information--thank you. I always like to know what the real non-official names of an area from a person who knows and grew up in the area. I wonder why they call it "Rosedale" and not the other names that you used???? Interesting, I will have to look into this just for the historical issue.
I'd be curious to know, too. I'm sure there must be some overlapping or something. Maybe the neighborhood of Harvard Park is just a teeny little enclave *within* an enclave? But back when my kids played soccer, there were never any Rosedale soccer teams, you know what I mean?
Quote:
What I want to do is showcase the other good areas of Denver and let newcomers and transplants, like myself, know about these areas.
Cil says thumbs up.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Thank you livecontent for bringing these neighborhoods into people's consciousness. Since I moved to Denver, my heart has been set on living in Harvey Park South or Harvey Park. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here in Aurora till June, when I hope to be moving to SW Denver. Back in the summer, my girlfriend and I took a nice long drive through this part of town, and wondered why it was so affordable and why it never seemed to be mentioned. What's great about Harvey Park is that it is just sitting there completely unpretentious, unknown to most (thank god!) as a middle class neighborhood in a large city without anybody coming to bother it. Still very affordable (especially north of Yale), quiet and serene with tons of shade trees. However, I think when the "keeping up with the Joneses" type people go to research this neighborhood they'll be scared off by the demographics and/or schools. I say, good, let them stay away, they won't know what they're missing.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Thank you livecontent for bringing these neighborhoods into people's consciousness. Since I moved to Denver, my heart has been set on living in Harvey Park South or Harvey Park. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here in Aurora till June, when I hope to be moving to SW Denver. Back in the summer, my girlfriend and I took a nice long drive through this part of town, and wondered why it was so affordable and why it never seemed to be mentioned. What's great about Harvey Park is that it is just sitting there completely unpretentious, unknown to most (thank god!) as a middle class neighborhood in a large city without anybody coming to bother it. Still very affordable (especially north of Yale), quiet and serene with tons of shade trees. However, I think when the "keeping up with the Joneses" type people go to research this neighborhood they'll be scared off by the demographics and/or schools. I say, good, let them stay away, they won't know what they're missing.
I have thought maybe I am not providing a service by showing these little known areas to people. A certain type of people, like yourself, will seek out good value and know value. However, there is that type who will only go where everybody else goes; buy whatever everybody else buys; eat at the restaurants everybody eats. And if these people know this area and start to move in--it will be the mob mentality, they have--it will become less affordable.

I think in this case the problem of why it is not popular, is that people speak out of the corner of their mouths--they espouse liberal values and they say they like diversity but will only live in a neighborhood of people like them.

I have heard many comments on this website about the West Denver and Southwest Denver as bad areas--I think what they are saying "too many Hispanics, too many people of color, too many Asians." So, that alone to them, means "a bad area". It is very unfortunate that these people do not practice what they preach because they will not enjoy what they preach.

Of course, I realize you are Hispanic by your name. You, know, I never met a Mexican American until I joined the Army. I grew up in a very segregated neighborhood near Buffalo, NY. There was the Polish section; the Black Area; the Italian enclave, The place where the Jews lived; and the part of the city which was Puerto Rican--the only Hispanics I ever met--and rarely. I HATED IT----I HATED THE ATTITUDE.

I have lived here for almost 30 years and I have learned to like--that is a wrong word--I have learned to LOVE diversity and mixtures of people in a neighborhood.

I live in a Neighborhood for 22 years of a big mixture--there are Vietnamese, Africans Americans, Africans, Russians, Japanese, Laotian, Cuban, South Americans, Hispanics, White Caucasians and me--the fat ethnic Sicilian Italian from New York with the big mouth

I bet when Harvey Park was first occupied--it was a just a very white only development of Denver--However, today it, and the surrounding areas are definitely more of a mixture.

When, I first drove down the area on Evans--I was astounded by the homes. However, what was more dramatic was the change toward Federal of the small bungalows that were built to house returning World War II GI. It actually made me cry--thinking of all the people who started out in this neighborhood.

I was a product of a similar GI neighborhood on Long Island--near New York City as the demand for housing produced these developments in the borough of Queens.

I have had many years to explore the Denver Area and mainly the western part of Denver and suburbs. I think they are hidden Gems.

Maybe we should keep these areas to ourselves and let the others "stick together like flies on the paper."

Livecontent

Old 01-13-2008, 11:12 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,229 times
I posted some photos of Englewood and Arapahoe Acres here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...acres-mid.html

Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 PM

You got it right, that is my posse and my type of woman--ah, ah, yes

Wow, these are great--they really showcase Englewood.

Everybody, look at these pictures--see there are other areas in the Denver Metro Area that are not the often-repeated well known developments. I think Englewood is great; I would consider it a prime place to live. This is not some copy of an urban neigborhood---it is the real thing.

To even make the older area better--the Englewood Development near the rail station is the first Transit Oriented Development in Denver.

Look how close it is to Downtown on Broadway. I have taken the Broadway Bus many times and the area from Baker to Englewood are just so interesting. It is going to get better when they re-develop the old Gates site. You will seen that in the future, Broadway will become the new "place to be" in Denver.

Notice the sign for the free ART shuttle--there are many art studios in this area.

You are teasing me again with those Arapahoe Acre pictures---I will have to go and see for myself.

Now, take your kids that funky amusement place .

Now I am going to look at the pictures again, and again and again.....ah, yes, very well built.........

Thanks,

Livecontent

Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

You are teasing me again with those Arapahoe Acre pictures---I will have to go and see for myself.
heh
AA is very cool, very Frank Lloyd Wright. AA's main architect, Eugene Sternberg, died right before we left Denver.
I used to live at Dartmouth and University (I think maybe the city boundaries have changed, but back in '70 we were across the street from Englewood, north and a bit east of AA).
Those post World War II Arapahoe Acres homes are a far cry from the Levitt homes on Long Island (I spent 7 years in Levittown, and do have fond memories of going into any friend's house and knowing exactly where the bathroom was.)
The only thing I'd watch out for is living right on Dartmouth, which is supposed to be a quiet residential street but can be a somewhat busy thoroughfare.
Arapahoe Acres is also a very nice plant nursery.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 19,229 times
A favorite little neighborhood of mine is Cory-Merrill in SE Denver. It is surrounded by popular Washington Park on the West, Bonnie Brae on the North, and Observatory Park/DU on the South. To me, if you find a block without a rebuild on it, it is 1940's small ranch homes right in the city. You definitely don't read about this neighborhood in the papers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver