Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 PM

18 posts, read 28,536 times

Advertisements

Researching the forums, I ran across a couple of threads that talked about how the district is shifting and it's not in a good way. However, these were older threads (2010 and 2012) so I'd like to hear from locals (especially parents of kids in this district) how it has turned out.

Planning to relocate May-June 2015, two kids (will be 5 and 3.5 at time of move). Tagged along during a recent work trip for hubby and fell in love with the Ken Caryl Valley. Since it's close to his work, we will purchase there (already decided). Bradford schools seem to rate pretty well online from what I can find...opinions from anyone with kids who currently attend?

Any additional info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Jefferson County Public Schools faces crisis over school board changes - The Denver Post

Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 AM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
I am in the JeffCo school district with a 6 year old and as 3.5 year old.

First, yes, this new board majority concerns me (a lot). I'm not a fan of their politics and even less a fan of their tactics.

BUT!!!! I don't believe we have seen much of a change at the elementary school ground level. This whole debate is about the direction the board wants to take the district, and if they can be slowed down - and I think they will be - they won't have the opportunity to really mess things up.

I'd say I'm concerned, but not overly concerned. (Voting them out next election would be a good thing though).

At the elementary school level, the most important factors I've seen so far are child and parental involvement. Ken Caryl is a nice area (it's not far from me) and the parents there make sure their schools are pretty good. I would say be watchful, and involved, but overall, you'll be fine.

One thing that I will note - this district is HUGE!!! Frankly, it's far too big. Change will take a while to get affected whether it's change we want or change we don't.

A good thing to also remember is that in Colorado, we have "open enrollment". That means you can send your kids to a different school than it is assigned, as long as the one you want to go has a spot and it's in your district. There are some funny boundries at the elementary level, so pay close attention to exact addresses and assigned school. You may find your perfect house isn't with the school you want, but you can then check on "Choice Enrolling" your kids where you want to be.

We've done that and it's working well. Of course there are some other public schools that are "awesome", but some of those don't even have assigned neighborhoods, and they are "lottery" schools. Those lotteries can be tough.

Look at the JeffCo School website for all that open/choice enrollment stuff. It's one of the better features of the school system out here.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 AM

403 posts, read 759,755 times
The new Jeffco School board has a conservative majority and the liberals don't like it. That's the bottom line.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
The new Jeffco School board has a conservative majority and the liberals don't like it. That's the bottom line.
Not even close to the bottom line.

There have been conservative school boards before. The problem is that this board is trying to enact curriculum changes that have not been tried before.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Why would they? The district is overall, centrist. I doubt extreme political moves on either side would go over well.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:59 AM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Why would they? The district is overall, centrist. I doubt extreme political moves on either side would go over well.
Very correct! (IMHO of course ).

Old 10-24-2014, 01:18 PM

123 posts, read 180,378 times
Why the politics have such big impact on education? The schools and education should be about educating the kids. All these boards should be apolitical. If you want to be a politician run for the parliament.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:12 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,966 times
We are in Jeffco. I am hardly a liberal and definitely am not happy with what is going on with the school board. That being said, I still love my kids elementary school and am very happy with the education they are receiving.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6286 View Post
Why the politics have such big impact on education? The schools and education should be about educating the kids. All these boards should be apolitical. If you want to be a politician run for the parliament.
Exactly! I don't understand people trying to push a political agenda on a school system. Board members shouldn't run as a Dem or Rep. And history lessons should be as accurate as possible. History is both good and bad, so teach it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver