Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM

603 posts, read 925,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

As for moving from Austin to Denver to escape the congestion, that's laughable at best. I've visited Austin more than once, and if OP thinks Austin is congested she ain't seen nothing yet. I agree with those who have suggested that OP should look into the PNW instead.
Traffic is worse in Austin than Denver. Austin ranks fourth worst currently and Denver is 18th. This is a good thing for Denver. Austin has done a poor job of planning for growth while Denver has planned ahead. When did you visit and drive around? It has been awful for a long time but in the past five years elevated to new levels of horrible.

You can see the rankings for traffic at the following link. Click where it says "INRIX Scorecard Country." I don't know how to make the link go to US cities directly.

Traffic Scorecard - INRIX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:29 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,897,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Traffic is worse in Austin than Denver. Austin ranks fourth worst currently and Denver is 18th. This is a good thing for Denver. Austin has done a poor job of planning for growth while Denver has planned ahead. When did you visit and drive around? It has been awful for a long time but in the past five years elevated to new levels of horrible.

You can see the rankings for traffic at the following link. Click where it says "INRIX Scorecard Country." I don't know how to make the link go to US cities directly.

Traffic Scorecard - INRIX
Meh, I was in Austin last year. Maybe I caught the town at a good moment traffic wise, but I've wasted hours of my life sitting on I-25 in Denver when the entire Interstate has become one huge parking lot. I've never experienced the same sort of thing in Austin, Traffic Scorecard regardless.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:45 AM

8,595 posts, read 14,778,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Meh, I was in Austin last year. Maybe I caught the town at a good moment traffic wise, but I've wasted hours of my life sitting on I-25 in Denver when the entire Interstate has become one huge parking lot. I've never experienced the same sort of thing in Austin, Traffic Scorecard regardless.
I've driven through Austin a half dozen times (all on the weekend) and every single time we went through there I-35 was a parking lot. Whomever designed that split-level viaduct needs to be put into the architectural hall of shame. The top level is supposedly "express lanes" but you'd never know it judging by how slow they are.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:47 AM

384 posts, read 505,367 times
Denver roads aren't great, and there is certainly a BUNCH of room for improving highways here, but the whole way Texas roads are designed drives me crazy. The Dallas area is the worst (of course, this isn't a secret), but in general it seems like Texas roads are designed to waste gas and cause frustration. The frontage road next to an Interstate plan just doesn't work to me. Lots of time exiting and I'd argue a lot of wasted land.

That seems to be how Texas has handled their sprawl (and everyplace has that -including Denver), but it never feels efficient to me when I am in Texas and driving around.

Now, I'll also say this. EVERY city of any size has traffic. Just a fact of life. And nearly every city in the US needs major infrastructure work. This is a growing country that isn't investing in infrastructure - there will be issues almost everywhere.

Finally, I'll say LA is a different kind of ridiculous, but I have lots of friends that don't seem in the slightest to be phased by how long it takes to get, well, ANYWHERE out there. It's just one of the trade-offs and part of the plus/minus equation.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I have never heard that Denver cost of living is high? I am just curious how so? You have a state income tax of 4.63, but your property/school taxes are super cheap compared to Texas. I figured that is close to a wash. The housing prices are certain less than Houston in the price range I was looking at. I peaked at your apartment rental prices when I was on zillow. They were almost 500 less a month for a comparable location. Our rental prices have doubled over the past few years due to a housing shortage. Housing prices in the city have also almost doubled over the past six years or so. That just leaves food, alcohol, and fuel prices. How much more could they be? 10-15%?

I don't pay attention to the calculators on forbes or whatever site. They compare the median cost of living which includes people way out in the suburbs and bad areas. You have to compare apples to apples. I know I am going to get hammered on the state taxes though You only live once and I am not getting any younger. I hope I will be out late next summer.
COL being high is mainly associated with housing. My house in Denver (within the actual city) is at about $275 per square foot.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,674,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
COL being high is mainly associated with housing. My house in Denver (within the actual city) is at about $275 per square foot.
Our housing prices are higher here due to a very high demand. There is very little inventory and buyers snatch up houses as fast as builders can build them. My house is around $330 sqft and I am not in a fancy neighborhood. I suspect the new oil prices will calm things down though. 75 a barrel is going to sting here.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Our housing prices are higher here due to a very high demand. There is very little inventory and buyers snatch up houses as fast as builders can build them. My house is around $330 sqft and I am not in a fancy neighborhood. I suspect the new oil prices will calm things down though. 75 a barrel is going to sting here.
When I see that Househunters show in Houston, the houses seem dirt cheap to me. But maybe it's like Denver where the further out you are, the cheaper the houses.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:41 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,897,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've driven through Austin a half dozen times (all on the weekend) and every single time we went through there I-35 was a parking lot. Whomever designed that split-level viaduct needs to be put into the architectural hall of shame. The top level is supposedly "express lanes" but you'd never know it judging by how slow they are.
Well, I will bow to the voice of those who have more experience with Austin as opposed to my occasional drive-bys. However, I have plenty of experience with Denver and the traffic there sucks as well.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,074,485 times
Quote:
You have us pegged well. It is about to get worse with who we just put into office.
Agreed. Gardener is the worst candidate anyone could have elected. I have no respect for that "man". Considering getting a bumper sticker that says "f*** Gardener, then don't let him abort".

I'm concerned that our state may be becoming more red. I didn't like the person he replaced, but we just went from bad to worst.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:10 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,074,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Ouch. I'm in Colorado Springs is a very desirable neighborhood. I bought in around $89/sqft net (negotiated in closing costs) or $90.2/sqft gross. House is worth around $98/sqft now.

Being within those downtown areas can be pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver