Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:58 PM

51 posts, read 81,438 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I am seeking advice on whether it's a wise decision to remain in Denver while I return to finish my undergrad. I have been living here for over 2 years and man, it's been quite an adventure! I've met so many amazing people and tried so many different things, broke out of my shell basically!! Before moving, I got a lot of great info on this site so here I am seeking therapy from you guys! I moved here without knowing a soul when I was 21 and since then have made a good network of friends and an active lifestyle. Basically living a happy life coming from my little boring hometown on the east coast. I've learned a lot about myself and had my ups and downs and I don't regret a thing.

However, since moving here I feel I am not progressing career-wise. I have been working in the service industry mostly and I feel like I am stuck in this industry. I basically work just to get by.I am returning to college this spring and I was accepted to MSU studying healthcare administration. I am hesitant of studying this area along with the college not being well known. What do you think about Colorado's public colleges? I really wish to become a Occupational Therapist/Assistant where there are only 2 for-profit colleges in Denver that are accredited with COTA and in NY there are a handful though very competitive.

Along with that the rising cost of living is causing me anxiety. I found a room for $750 in a nice place and can support it with working and my savings. Is this a bad move to make while returning to college? I except I'm going to work my butt off and struggle with time to study...leaving little time to have free.

Is it wise for myself to commit to college for several years here in CO just making it by with the rising COL year after year? I have around 19k saved up to support myself. I don't want to blow my savings just to survive in a city to attend college though I'd rather invest that money into a cross-country motorcycle trip or a summer in Europe.

So basically I consider returning to NY for the more affordable education and recognition. I'll be returning at my community college, living at home and living the isolated social life once again but I'll save money. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 9,884 times
Although I don't have all the answers for you I've been struggling with the same predicament.
I personally decided that being in a city that makes me happy should trump everything!!
I too am attending MSU next year. Sure its not a well known school but all the professionals i've spoken to tell me its about having a degree. Not where you got the degree. MSU is well priced for out of state students and my experience with faculty so far has been fantastic. Although I'm not sure if it is one of the schools with your certificate of choice.
In regard to money, I totally understand wanting to do something fun. I think its about the balance. Simply don't plan on spending all your savings. I plan on working part time to supplement what I am spending out of savings.

Best of luck. Hard choices ahead!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Metro may not be a well known school outside of Colorado, but if the goal is to stay in Denver, maybe that isn't a huge concern.

Were it me, I would cold call occupational therapists in Denver and ask to speak to the person in charge of hiring. Find out their thoughts on the program and whether they hire graduates of it. Don't just call a few. Call a lot of them. You may make a connection that will lead to a job later. If you get an overwhelming response that it is not a good program, you have your answer.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:45 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Is it wise for myself to commit to college for several years here in CO just making it by with the rising COL year after year? I have around 19k saved up to support myself. I don't want to blow my savings just to survive in a city to attend college though I'd rather invest that money into a cross-country motorcycle trip or a summer in Europe

I know this from my experience in life. The longer you wait to finish college, the harder it will become for you to finish.

Yea, go to Europe and spend your money on a motorcycle trip and in a few years you will be older with no education and facing the same problem with less options.

Livecontent

Old 10-28-2014, 09:49 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
CSU's Department of Occupational Therapy is #1 in the nation. They don't have an undergrad program though, so it's something to think about down the road.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Is it wise for myself to commit to college for several years here in CO just making it by with the rising COL year after year? I have around 19k saved up to support myself. I don't want to blow my savings just to survive in a city to attend college though I'd rather invest that money into a cross-country motorcycle trip or a summer in Europe

I know this from my experience in life. The longer you wait to finish college, the harder it will become for you to finish.

Yea, go to Europe and spend your money on a motorcycle trip and in a few years you will be older with no education and facing the same problem with less options.

Livecontent

I meant if I returned to NY for college, I would save this money to do a trip like this in my off-time such as summer vacation. Perhaps I can end the journey in Denmark and get paid to finish my degree

Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
I meant if I returned to NY for college, I would save this money to do a trip like this in my off-time such as summer vacation. Perhaps I can end the journey in Denmark and get paid to finish my degree
You will be wasting time and money. If you have been here for 2 years, you have established residency and certainly if you received a Colorado Driver's License. Going back the NY, will require you to again have time to establish residency. More time wasted and then you will have FEWER OPTIONS. You are all over the ballpark with your ideas. There is a big difference between Occupational Therapist from a vocational school and getting a degree in Healthcare Administration at a University. Perhaps college is not for you since you have no serious desire or understanding of what education is all about!

Livecontent

Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 PM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
Quote:
There is a big difference between Occupational Therapist from a vocational school and getting a degree in Healthcare Administration at a University.
Agree with this - avoid the for profit schools. And it doesn't have to be either or: If you have 19k saved up that's certainly sufficient to start enrollment and classes, AND take a summer or any semester off and hang out in Europe. (Just not in Denmark, trust me. Find a cheaper city, a short term residential rental in a regular neighborhood, and go from there.)

If you're disciplined enough and have a reliable laptop and Kindle (for textbooks) you can even knock out an easy class or two online while traveling. (Not the first or second semester you take.) Assuming no full time work or family commitments it's easily doable.

Invest in your education and get the ball rolling, and simultaneously research a destination where you can have an experience that's enjoyable and enriching yet live frugally or within reason.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You will be wasting time and money. If you have been here for 2 years, you have established residency and certainly if you received a Colorado Driver's License. Going back the NY, will require you to again have time to establish residency. More time wasted and then you will have FEWER OPTIONS. You are all over the ballpark with your ideas. There is a big difference between Occupational Therapist from a vocational school and getting a degree in Healthcare Administration at a University. Perhaps college is not for you since you have no serious desire or understanding of what education is all about!

Livecontent
That's my concern with residency. If I return to NY I would start re-establishing residency here while taking courses at a CC and living at home, overshadowing in the OT field while saving expenses and having more time devoted to school work. I also have the option of returning to instate tuition at a SUNY university that I once attended. I understand healthcare admin isn't related to OTA, I chose to study that at Metro in the case I stay in Denver. The OTA programs in NY are community colleges so my credits would transfer. Yes I am all over the place, basically I will be returning to finish my undergrad or getting a second AS degree.

Basically my options are to stay in Denver and attend MSU while living and working a hectic life, burning through my savings though I question the quality of a MSU degree. Or I can return to NY and have the time to get my s*** together and be close to family again.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
It's never easy making decisions that seem to effect your future, especially when you are young. I know, I've made several career and moving decisions. Although this situation appears to be controlling your future, it's really not. If you focus on your long term career and life goals, you might make it through with a more positive outlook. Perhaps you can reach out and make some contacts with some local OTs. Tell them your plans. Go back to NY with the goal of returning to Colorado in a few years. Yes, this seems like a long time, but when you are talking about the rest of your life and being happy, it's really not that long. Get your degree and credentials and then come back to Colorado and enjoy the rest of your life. Focus on your goals....a good career and being happy and you should succeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: