Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 906 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'd really appreciate a bit of quick advice on a situation I have with a landlord.
The shortest version possible is that they are charging me for bogus repairs, and 15 hours of cleaning ($600) on a 425 sq foot "closet" that was CLEAN on move out (I actually have photo proof as well).

I've read that the landlord is responsible for normal wear and tear cleaning which is absolutely all that was needing to be done.

Question:

Do I request invoices for all deposit charges?

How long do they have to get that to me?

Also - I moved out 40 days ago, and never heard a word from them. I had to email them finally on Friday and ask where my deposit was, then they sent me an excel document breaking down where my deposit was going, plus an ADDITIONAL $600 they were charging on top of that. Unreal for a TINY TINY apartment that was clean upon move out!

Any help on how to approach this situation would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 AM

22,201 posts, read 29,249,685 times
File a Small claims court claim with all your documents/proof.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM

694 posts, read 1,035,680 times
You need to look at CRS 38-12-102, et seq.

There are specific requirements for the return of a security deposit and the law on written statements as to withholding a security deposit. Normal wear and tear is open to interpretation by the court, however, last time I represented a tenant in court, the judge gave great latitude to the tenant in this area and told the landlord that anyone who rents property has to expect normal wear and tear to occur.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:25 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,071,394 times
Did your lease extend the 30 day period your landlord has to either return the security deposit or communicate to you why he's not (it's extendable to 60 days)?

And if he insists on keeping your deposit and trying to charge you for additional repair/cleaning, your recourse is to sue him in small claims court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver