Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 AM

656 posts, read 1,341,210 times

Advertisements

If you were starting in Richmond, I'd recommend 64 to 70... I'm not particularly fond of driving through the DC Metro or Baltimore area, but sometimes you just don't have a choice.
70 does get pretty boring past Indy. To that end, I wouldn't exactly call 80 or 76 exciting, either.
As far as rush hour goes, I'd put up with it on any city on I70 than I would Chicago, any day. Just my feelings on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 AM

403 posts, read 1,325,454 times
We travel to the east coast every summer in a motor home, and prefer to take I-70. There is generally less traffic and there are virtually no tolls. I believe the only toll you'll see on I-70 is near KC, and it's cheap. If you took the northern route, then you'll be paying quite a bit in tolls. PA turnpike is a toll road, and I-80 is a toll road in OH and IN, and then there's a toll when you first enter IL. Occasionally we take I-80 just to change up the scenery, but I-70 is the preferred route.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:46 AM

387 posts, read 638,161 times
Here's the link eearhart referenced: //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ver-drive.html. Lots of good suggestions/ideas in here.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:28 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times
I would plan for I-70 but like someone else said be flexible and ready to go north or south depending on the weather.

When we drove here from NYC we planned on I-80 because we wanted to stop in CH; however, the weather as we were driving was just a bad blizzard (almost a year ago today, on Thanksgiving!) and we checked the weather forecast and decided to head south in OH and hit I-70 from there. We were happy with the results, but got lucky in that the bad weather stayed up north of us. Just be flexible, and check the weather forecast. It could be a blizzard in NE and sunny in KS and vice-versa.

Good luck! We did it in 3 days total - stopped at Richmond IN night #1 and Salina KS night #2. This made the third day a breeze - just 5 hours total and the most boring part of KS was the part that we did first during the day

Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eearhart View Post
I posted this question a few months ago and got great suggestions. Search DC to Denver drive (sorry, I'd post the link but on mobile now).
eearhart's thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ver-drive.html

oops, just saw that someone had already posted the link! Should be a helpful thread anyway....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: