Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 07:41 PM

27 posts, read 67,812 times

Advertisements

I am a single 24yo woman seriously thinking about moving to the Dever/Aurora area. I was born and raised in Maryland right outside of DC so I was raised a suburban girl, but I always wanted a little more space between my neighbors and I, say an acre or five.
I would be moving with my 3 dogs, mini pig, and macaw, I also ride horses and want to board or own my own one day, as you can tell I'm an animal lover and looking at Bel Rea to further my pursuit to become vet tech. I would still like to be close to all major shopping like department stores, malls, boutiques, recreational 420 shops, and groceries.
I visited the Aurora area for thanksgiving last year and this year and I just fall more and more in love with the scenery and the people.
Is the Denver/Aurora area a good match for me? if not what city would be a better fit for me, that is close to Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,132,095 times
You seem to have wants that are not compatible with what the Denver has to offer. Your desire for acreage is something that is not very practical in Denver. This is because water, not land, is very precious, so a five acre hobby farm is something that just is not found around here. Especially not close to malls, marijuana, and boutiques.

Combine this with your desire for a swimming pool (see above comment about water), and it is pretty obvious that while you may love the idea of Denver, you just don't get Denver.

I suppose all this can be had, but not as a rental, and the cost to buy a small farm, with water rights and somewhat close to some amenities will run you at least $800k.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:21 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,415,745 times
I assume you have money or if you do not, then you would not fit here well here. For with all your animals, you will have a real difficult time finding a rental apartment but that puts you too close for your wants. So, you will have to rent or buy a house. Realize there are municipal restrictions on the amount of pets.

Since your with other post desires a pool and you are also looking for owning a horse--they you better have money. If you have not figured it out, this is an expensive area to live and especially the cost of housing.

You did not mention anything about work or the desire to be near work, so I am to assume that you are independently wealthy. You also indicated that you will be a student. However,, you mentioned that a million dollar home is not in your budget in your pool post.

Your best bet with all your needs is a semi-rural or rural area but land and water rights are very expensive. Yet, you have indicated that you want to be close to all the amenities of shopping, with department stores and boutiques. In addition, you have a need for expensive dope!

So, my first sentence applies, if you do not have the money for all that you desire and need and want which seems to be much--then this is not the place for you. All these ideas without big money strikes me as very naive on your part!

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-02-2014 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,470,294 times
Parts of Maryland are relatively pastoral compared to Denver. I know, I grew up in Maryland. Isn't Bel-Rea in South Aurora? If so, stay there. How are you prepared to pay rent?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
I hope you know that vet techs are poorly paid.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 AM

694 posts, read 1,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMe1018 View Post
..... I'm an animal lover and looking at Bel Rea to further my pursuit to become vet tech. I would still like to be close to all major shopping like department stores, malls, boutiques, recreational 420 shops, and groceries. Is the Denver/Aurora area a good match for me? if not what city would be a better fit for me, that is close to Denver?
I would have liked to have been drafted by an NHL team.

You may want to check north of Ft. Collins or Cheyenne, WY. You may find some of the aspects of life you are looking for there, but not all.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 AM

4,038 posts, read 2,727,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMe1018 View Post
I am a single 24yo woman seriously thinking about moving to the Dever/Aurora area. I was born and raised in Maryland right outside of DC so I was raised a suburban girl, but I always wanted a little more space between my neighbors and I, say an acre or five.
I would be moving with my 3 dogs, mini pig, and macaw, I also ride horses and want to board or own my own one day, as you can tell I'm an animal lover and looking at Bel Rea to further my pursuit to become vet tech. I would still like to be close to all major shopping like department stores, malls, boutiques, recreational 420 shops, and groceries.
I visited the Aurora area for thanksgiving last year and this year and I just fall more and more in love with the scenery and the people.
Is the Denver/Aurora area a good match for me? if not what city would be a better fit for me, that is close to Denver?
I saw this post after your pool post. In general, I don't think you've thought about this seriously enough.

1.) Finding 'an acre or five' is going to be expensive. Land is costly, water rights moreso.

2.) The aforementioned 'acre or five' within easy access to major shopping is very unlikely. I *have* seen a few larger tracts of land in the very developed areas of Denver, but those are obviously grandfathered in and the folks living there are not likely to sell to a private individual when they're ready to leave. Likely, they'll sell to a developer and make big bucks off the sale.

3.) Looking specifically for recreational 420 shops tells me a lot right then and there.

4.) I have a number of friends who are vet techs. Most of them are living in apartments/very small houses. I'm suspecting the salary of a vet tech isn't compatible with what you want.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
I searched the Zillow and found houses/land
2 acres - 5650 S Monaco St, Greenwood Village, CO 80111 is For Sale - Zillow
2 acres - 4865 S El Camino Dr, Englewood, CO 80111 is For Sale - Zillow
2 acres - 5 Walden Ln, Cherry Hills Village, CO 80121 is For Sale - Zillow
4 acres - 3901 E Quincy Ave, Cherry Hills Village, CO 80113 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,258,075 times
Land... it'll cost ya here! Well, except for places like Limon and Lamar. But then you might as well be living in the Texas panhandle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver